Take a test to see if you can cut it as a teacher in a Western country

How did you go?

I also scored 100%.

I'm not a teacher in 'The West'. But I was taught basic numeracy and English language grammar/punctuation by my parents to at least the level expected of a 5 year old child; which seems to be the same level of this test coffee1.gif

(Please God, don't let any grammar police read this post)

Edited by simon43

To be honest teachers ain't the brightest bunch. I had colleagues in my teacher prep program who struggled with the general skill exam. I wish I was joking.

My teachers were always smarter than me on the subject(s) they were teaching. I guess that made me less brighter than my teachers.

To be honest teachers ain't the brightest bunch. I had colleagues in my teacher prep program who struggled with the general skill exam. I wish I was joking.

When I took a general teaching exam in state that will remain nameless, I'd just returned from Asia a few weeks prior. Barely got over jetlag, did not study English or Math. The test was so ez I was stunned. I passed with a solid but not epic score. No study prior, not been in university for 11 years.

After the test, I recall all the grief and tears. Many more than struggled.

I had in hindsight very good grade school and even HS teachers. A time when best and brightest women had few of the options they have today.

Most people working here might go through the motions, but few have any real idea about whether their students are learning anything or whether their methods are effective. Then there is the admin which is steadfastly against anything that is innovative or costs them the slightest bit of money.

Several recent studies showed that in the U.S., teaching majors have the lowest incoming SAT scores at university, but highest average GPA, which indicates classes are very easy. When I was in college people who chose education majors bragged they did little studying and it was almost impossible to fail. Sad

Teaching is generally a poorly paid profession and so it doesn't always attract the best graduates. Certainly in the UK many students with Third-Class or Ordinary Degree go into teaching. To be accepted onto a teacher training course in the UK candidates must pass a basic test of literacy and numeracy, but apparently many applicants fail multiple times before eventually passing. Again, in the UK (and I think many other countries) there is a big shortage of properly qualified teachers in subjects such as maths, science and technology - simply because there are so many better paid and more attractive opportunities in other professions.

My conclusion is: Thank good that I don't teach English language. The math part was to easy, if I compare with my lesson this morning this test was child's play. I was teaching "Calculation of feed rations for weaning piglets" with set conditions to your equations like values for protein and carbohydrates, min/max percentage of each specific feed stuff, and so on. And yesterday my lesson was "Forage crops", different types of grasses and other plants suitable as either fresh, dried or ensiled feed. All this in English but still, I do not teach English language as a subject!

Edited by Kasset Tak

why has lost in issan gone quiet. normally he hangs out in this forum room. he must have failed

I apologise for not being able to post earlier, a free holiday paid by this honourable forum with a free skiing trip was more important for me than answering suspicious questions.

BTW, the test is a piece of cake and I scored very well.

Of the (western) teachers I work with, around 20% could answer the question on weighted marks --> final score.

Its quite shocking how bad people are at maths, but some people just can't do it. Having said that, one of the best teachers I have worked with was a History teacher back in the UK who could not get on the main teachers' pay scale as she could not pass the numeracy test. Always paid as an unqualified teacher.

why has lost in issan gone quiet. normally he hangs out in this forum room. he must have failed

I apologise for not being able to post earlier, a free holiday paid by this honourable forum with a free skiing trip was more important for me than answering suspicious questions.

please send screen shot as evidence mr LIS. We dont believe you.....ha ha

please send screen shot as evidence mr LIS. We dont believe you.....ha ha

When can I start in Australia? Can I take my wife and Mia Noi with me? Thanks a lot in advance.And I did it without a calculator.

I'm glad that I can do such simple math in my tiny little brain. I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't understand the questions.

350 baht/hour for you, really a special price.One Leo included. Of course for TVF members only. -blink.png

post-158336-0-91322400-1450163474_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan