Am I being dumb or am I missing something ?

"Am I being dumb or missing something ?"

Joke answer : why either or ?

This is infuriating, and typically Thai. Opening a bank account can be a trial depending on which bank and where you live. It is certainly easy if you live in Bangkok and open it in a farang friendly area like Sukhumvit. Unless their has been a regulation change you were advised wrongly. Try another bank, perhaps SCB or Bangkok Bank.

My partner and I (both farang) opened accounts with Bangkok Bank some years back with nothing but passports and tourist visas in hand, and a local Thai friend to vouch for us. It was dead simple. Having said that we had tried previously without success at SCB. Good luck OP I hope you get it all sorted!

Edited by Dassie

Detail of what is required to open an account with the Bangkok bank in the link. Better to go to one of the larger branches.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

If problems are encountered ask to see a supervisor.

Not all the branches follow these rules. When i first moved to Thailand I opened a bank account with a visa exempt. It took visiting a few bank branches but I got it done.

Also you can get an O visa in your home country and show them your bank account at home. You only need the money in the bank account in Thailand for the extension.

This reply is purely about the bank account and may not be relevant to anyone else. But when I opened my bank account which was several years ago I was here on a tourist visa, simply went to Siam bank and opened a savings account with a thousand baht. No problem, no forms or questions. Last year though I'm no longer on a tourist visa I opened another account at KrungThai bank and again no problem or questions so I am not sure why some people have trouble opening accounts and some do not.

For around A$200 you can get a Lawyer to assist you with opening a bank account, it certainly saved us all the hassles of running around and was done in a few hours, they also assisted us in preparing our Thai Will and when we purchased our condo. Just make sure you use reparable firm - happy to share who we used if you send me a message. We did this in Bangkok.

Detail of what is required to open an account with the Bangkok bank in the link. Better to go to one of the larger branches.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

If problems are encountered ask to see a supervisor.

Correct. I opened my account at Bangkok Bank near Soi 8 Sukhumvit. No problems at all. That was after i had tried a number of other banks and got knocked back.

For around A$200 you can get a Lawyer to assist you with opening a bank account, it certainly saved us all the hassles of running around and was done in a few hours, they also assisted us in preparing our Thai Will and when we purchased our condo. Just make sure you use reparable firm - happy to share who we used if you send me a message. We did this in Bangkok.

$A200 to open a bank account? Helloooo. It's YOUR money. Think you mean reputable. They certainly saw you coming.cheesy.gif

• Like 2

I think it's because, if one TVF poster says is true:

Thai banks "hire" Farang "digital nomads" to do their "software" for them.

Can you imagine how angry some tinpot Thai bank managers become when they learn this?

I suspect retaliation, 555

Banks can't take a chance on "some guy" with an online-resume - they will hire a "reputable firm." That firm may hire nomads, with the work overseen by an in-house project-manager. In any case, the local bank-manager would be clueless as to who does the "actual work."

In general, the resistance to allowing an American to open overseas accounts is due to the reporting-requirements that the US tax-authorities require. Fortunately, many Thai banks have the infrastructure in place to deal with US reporting requirements, to facilitate the expat retirement-population. It's just a matter of finding a branch where the employees are familiar with the process.

I made one attempt to open an account at a Bangkok Bank branch, accompanied by my Thai gf who has an account with them. We were told I need a letter confirming my residence from my embassy. The embassy charges $50 for that, plus you have to make an appointment, yada yada.
Another branch, on my own, and same story.
I think for fun I will try the Bangkok Bank near Soi 8 Sukhumvit armed with passport, Arizona Driver's license, a copy of my rental agreement, my SS income letter, and my annual income statement letter from BNY Mellon. Would those items meet the requirements as indicated in http://www.bangkokba...accountnew.aspx d'ya think?

Things must have changed in the last 5 years. As back then I opened a Kasikorn bank account at Khon Kaen by just showing passport and I was on a 30 day visa exempt. But I must get around to changing the account to the branch at my new location now. So I don't have to pay the 100 bht deposit fee for depositing away from the branch I opened the account at.

I went to the 2nd Road branch of the Bangkok bank today, took about 15 minutes to open the account, will take 7 days to get the atm card which can be used at any atm in Thailand rather than the one they offered which can only be used at their atm's.

Only needed to show my entry stamp (visa waiver) in the passport which they took photo copies of so all sorted now.

As for the advice about applying for 'O' visa and other stuff back in the UK, why would I, as said before I have not lived there for over 10 years now and have spent the last 6+ years in China, thats is where my present home is, where my back accounts are etc but thanks for the advise.

• Like 1

You are aware the ATM card offered was the new chip type which is not subject to the cloning that is so common here? Loss of funds is your problem here until/if you can convince them to refund (you do not have the almost automatic immediate return of funds). It offers much more security and will likely work in other banks ATMs in the near future as all are moving in the chip card direction. They will allow both cards to be held so would advise you to obtain the chip and use that only for all times you use BBL ATMs.

I didnt have any problem opening an account with Kassikorn and BKK Bank in Pattaya. Was a few years ago not sure it has become more difficult now.

Yes it is, believe me..................

?? Cannot be all that difficult... Three weeks ago, I opened a savings account (and got my ATM card at the same time) at the Bangkok Bank Beach Road Branch. I used my passport. I verbally gave them the address of my rented condo. I have lived here for about five years and am here on retirement.

Edited by LarryLEB