Am I being dumb or am I missing something ?

Am I being dumb or am I missing something, I'm 59 years old and have been coming to Thailand regularly for the last 5 years on tourist visas, sometimes 5 or 6 times each year and staying anything from 5 to 45 days at a time.

So now I'm looking to finish work soon and hopefully get a retirement visa so I went to try and open a bank account so I could put in the 800,000 baht required and was told I need a valid Residence Certificate to open an account, off I go to the Immigration office at Jomtien, I fill out all the forms and get photo copies of everything only to be told I need a one year visa to get a Residence Certificate to open a bank account.

So I cannot get a Residence Certificate to open a bank account because I don't have a one year visa and I can't get a Retirement visa because I don't have a bank account with the required amount of money.

Firstly if getting a retirement (non immigrant O-A) the money can be in your home country until/if you want to extend at the end of a year at immigration in Thailand. You get such a visa from Thai Consulate in your home/residence country.

To open an account here requires finding the right branch (someone knowing procedures) and expect they would accept a simple letter that you have your Embassy notarize. Requirements vary by both bank and branch managers. But you can open an account on a tourist visa at some.

• Like 1

That seems odd that immigration told you you need to be on a one year extension to get the certificate to open a bank account. Very strange in fact. Who told you that at immigration.

You could get one from your embassy if they will not do it.

• Like 1

Firstly if getting a retirement (non immigrant O-A) the money can be in your home country until/if you want to extend at the end of a year at immigration in Thailand. You get such a visa from Thai Consulate in your home/residence country.

To open an account here requires finding the right branch (someone knowing procedures) and expect they would accept a simple letter that you have your Embassy notarize. Requirements vary by both bank and branch managers. But you can open an account on a tourist visa at some.

The money is not in a bank in my 'home' country because I have been living/working in China for the last 6 years and have only been back to the UK once, for 5 days, during that time.

That seems odd that immigration told you you need to be on a one year extension to get the certificate to open a bank account. Very strange in fact. Who told you that at immigration.

You could get one from your embassy if they will not do it.

It was the lady behind the counter where you hand the paperwork over, counter no9 if I remember correctly

whistling.gif You do not need proof of residence or a work permit to open an account.

I came here in 2011 and although it took me two different banks to open a retirement bank account I finally found one that had a senior teller who knew the rules on opening such accounts.

They wanted a one year Multi entry non O visa, which I had at that time.

It also helped that I had another account for my Thai girlfriend to support her and her family at that same bank open for years in my Thai girlfriend's name and she was known to that same senior teller.(their children went to the same school).

In my case, not the gold old boy's network, but instead the good old mother's network.

• Like 1

Is being unable to open a bank account in Tland a new thing? I've had accounts at two branches of Kbank and am only here on two tourist visas every year.

Is being unable to open a bank account in Tland a new thing? I've had accounts at two branches of Kbank and am only here on two tourist visas every year.

I had no problem 2 years ago at Bangkok Bank - and was on a visa-exempt. When they asked why I needed a local account for a short visa, I replied I needed to xfer $$ into the account to get a longer visa. (An honest reply, given I then believed the Vientiene "blue-stamp" actually meant you could show them foreign-sourced income xfers.)

My gf was with me, to assist with translation - not sure if her presence helped other than that. At some branches, you will find a good English speaker - not so much at others. Perhaps some branches shy away from opening accounts due to the communication difficulties. In that case, taking a local gal with decent English along might be a good idea. In general, look for branches where "falangs" are present.

If you are xferring $$ from the USA, the ability to use Bangkok Bank's NYC branch with ACH (vs wire-xfer) is hassle-free and saves some fees.

Am I being dumb or am I missing something, I'm 59 years old and have been coming to Thailand regularly for the last 5 years on tourist visas, sometimes 5 or 6 times each year and staying anything from 5 to 45 days at a time.

So now I'm looking to finish work soon and hopefully get a retirement visa so I went to try and open a bank account so I could put in the 800,000 baht required and was told I need a valid Residence Certificate to open an account, off I go to the Immigration office at Jomtien, I fill out all the forms and get photo copies of everything only to be told I need a one year visa to get a Residence Certificate to open a bank account.

So I cannot get a Residence Certificate to open a bank account because I don't have a one year visa and I can't get a Retirement visa because I don't have a bank account with the required amount of money.

Try the Bangkok Bank Branch on Soi Buakhao (just up from Soi Honey, across the road from The Butchers Arms/what was Pook Bar).

A few people have had success opening accounts there with just a Visa Exempt stamp.

I had no problem 2 years ago at Bangkok Bank - and was on a visa-exempt. When they asked why I needed a local account for a short visa, I replied I needed to xfer $$ into the account to get a longer visa. (An honest reply, given I then believed the Vientiene "blue-stamp" actually meant you could show them foreign-sourced income xfers.)

My gf was with me, to assist with translation - not sure if her presence helped other than that. At some branches, you will find a good English speaker - not so much at others. Perhaps some branches shy away from opening accounts due to the communication difficulties. In that case, taking a local gal with decent English along might be a good idea. In general, look for branches where "falangs" are present.

If you are xferring $$ from the USA, the ability to use Bangkok Bank's NYC branch with ACH (vs wire-xfer) is hassle-free and saves some fees.

And if (as I suspect from the last 2 letters of his username) the OP hails from the UK, he may wish to be aware that Bangkok Bank offer a similar facility for us Brits via their London branch (for which I can vouch on the basis of personal experience). Further details here:-

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

He should, however, note that it is better to get the GBP-to-THB conversion performed in Bangkok rather London.

• Like 1

Kasikorn Bank, Royal Garden, second floor (up one floor from the Beach road entrance).

Show them whatever might serve as a "proof of address".

"Savings account", no credit.

Problem fixed.

Ask for internet access if you fancy so.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I was in Bangkok bank ( udon thani main branch)last week to roll over my fixed term Account with the 800K.

They have a large cardboard cutout poster stating........................we welcome foreign customers.

poster goes onto say .........................

Ask our staff today about------

Opening a thai baht savings or foreign currency deposit account

getting a be 1st visa debit card, atm card or credit card for your everyday spending

setting up internet banking to pay bills or transfer money

sending and receiving foreign funds from overseas

investment opportunities and insurance protection.

You MUST go to the main local branch .....not a shopping centre branch.

You DO NEED a thai as guarantor....wife or GF ----- helps if they already have an account with that bank also.

Make sure you say SAVINGS account ( virtually no interest paid on these accounts).

I will try to load a photo of the poster that I took at the branch.

I took a friend around a few banks recently as he had the same problem. Kasikorn refused as did Bangkok bank and Military bank they al said NEW rules and they were not able to open an account on a tourist visa. Last chance we went to Krung sri bank they also said they couldn't open without proof of residency but then accepted a signed statement from my friends landlady saying he stayed there.

I was in Bangkok bank ( udon thani main branch)last week to roll over my fixed term Account with the 800K.

They have a large cardboard cutout poster stating........................we welcome foreign customers.

poster goes onto say .........................

Ask our staff today about------

Opening a thai baht savings or foreign currency deposit account

getting a be 1st visa debit card, atm card or credit card for your everyday spending

setting up internet banking to pay bills or transfer money

sending and receiving foreign funds from overseas

investment opportunities and insurance protection.

You DO NEED a thai as guarantor....wife or GF ----- helps if they already have an account with that bank also.

Make sure you say SAVINGS account ( virtually no interest paid on these accounts).

I will try to load a photo of the poster that I took at the branch.

As already mentioned, many bank workers do not know what is required. Instead of admitting that they don't know, they will either make up something or just tell you that it is not possible.

I recently opened a bank account at Kasikorn in a Tesco-Lotus shopping centre. On my own, no Thai guarantor and just my passport. No residency certificate.

First time I tried (in Udon) was Bangkok bank and GF was with me. They would not let me open an account unless I had someone with standing (eg. Gov't employee). In my head I was thinking [expletive!]. I'm just trying to deposit some money, I'm not asking for a loan or anything.

Next time was with GF at Kasikorn, and they opened an account no problem, but setting up virtual debit card and internet was a real hassle as they didn't understand what I was requesting. They were saying "no problem, this is card, you can use at Tesco or anywhere". I was trying to explain that if I want to use it then it will be another country online (there are other countries I hope they know) and that 'Privileged Customer' on the card isn't going to hack it. Got there eventually after a couple of hours, but not before the staff member got bored of me and called a back office manager out and the problem was sorted in minutes.

Next was Bangkok Bank in Central Plaza. This time not with GF but a Thai friend. All went smoothly, but friend told me that she had to pretend to be my GF to make it happen. Why they might think that my depositing money needs a guarantor who is 'the taker' is beyond my thinking, but the short version is that calm persistence will get you there in the end, and like others have already said, every branch is not the same.

• Like 2

Detail of what is required to open an account with the Bangkok bank in the link. Better to go to one of the larger branches.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

If problems are encountered ask to see a supervisor.

But Bangkok Bank unfortunately offers very low interests on deposits (currently 1% for a substantial three months deposit), reason for me to move to another bank...

When I got my O Visa and my extension three months later, I was not required to prove WHERE the money was, only that I had the required amount coming in. Seems to vary with the immigration office. Others have reported different experiences. Also, I used the monthly income method, rather than the yearly method. Is nothing standard in Thailand? If you live in Chiang Mai or Ko Samui, the requirements may be different. I had to leave for Laos because I only had two weeks left on my tourist visa. None of the expats in Pattaya understood why this was required. Later, another local expat had the same problem, so the rules apparently shifted once again. Magic slate.

Just keep trying other branches..

I actually opened an account the other day, and had forgot my passport.. They opened on simply on the basis of my thai driving license.. Which now I think about it, is pretty lax.. Didnt even occur to me at the time they might refuse.

I agree with this advice. Firstly get the initial visa from the Thai Embassy in you own country. Next when you arrive use the Bangkok Bank, the Cetral Rama 111 branch helped us. The person was a more mature Thai woman who knew exactly what we wanted. By way of contrast the Thai Farmers Bank refused us, in fact were quite rude, even though my wife and her sister have had accounts there for some years. After some correspondence their head office conceded that we could open an account. But I felt that atabranch level there was more eye candy than competence

Detail of what is required to open an account with the Bangkok bank in the link. Better to go to one of the larger branches.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

If problems are encountered ask to see a supervisor.

I opened an account with Bangkok Bank about 4 years ago with just 1000 baht and my passport , which had a tourist visa. It was a savings account.

As other posters have said, it seems to depend on the type of account you are opening, where the branch is, and whether the staff have a reasonable grasp of the English language and their own rules.