US downgrades Thai air safety rating

webfact

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The announcement from Thai Airways executives that more or less they don't care what FAA say since they stopped fly to USA October 25 and are not affected by the negative impact it have. I have always liked Thai and their service, but after this statement I will not fly with Thai anymore. I can't understand why Thai don't fix the problems instead of ignoring this time after time. Maybe the day when they are forbidden to fly to EU and some of the Asian countries they will wake up. Now with aircrafts that use less fuel then the Airbus 340 Thai could have had a market in the US. It's just unfair that the goverment in Thailand can't take air safety seriously, Ait Asia X like to expand their flights and they could be a good addition to Norwegians low cost flights now when Norwegian start Asian flights from London in addition to the Bangkok flights from Scandinavia

Lets wait and see....I think constant pressure from the outside will eventually lead to increased transportation safety. Not only airlines, but rail, busses, commercial vans and highway safety. Airlines are only a small sector of the transportation problem here.

Beautiful country and people...just need some higher standards when dealing with tourism.

You're being awfully optimistic if you think this category degrading will have any pressure for improvement other than aviation.

The mind boggles with this amazing result. With such a strong warning why didn't the Thailand Air Officials fix it. I am sure I read where the Prime Minister told them to fix it.

And Thai Air cancel their only US route, surely that was to avoid an out right ban further down the track. What little peanut brains all these officials must have. In the longer term this downgrade will prove to be a devastating blow to Thailand's air carriers. Such a pity when it could have been fixed.

Good to know the beer bars and drunken parties that the inspectors were subjected to did not cause the report from being changed. Viva Obama! giggle.gif

The inspectors did not go anywhere near beer bars or drunken parties. If you knew anything about their work, you would not have made a complete fool of yourself with your childish nonsense. Much of the review was done in the USA, based upon documents the Thais provided. There were also video conferences and many many phone calls. The inspections in Thailand, left little time for fun. The inspectors knew that they were being watched and any questionable activity would have been leaked.

EU inspectors announce their decision on 15th Dec and it will be very surprising if they don't go the same way as FAA - historically in this region once one regulator downgrades then others follow suit eventually as happenned with Indonesia and Philippines.
Useful piece of analysis from SCB a few months back on likely consequences:

Biggest issue will be how the Junta react to this huge loss face in the international arena.

EU will follow suit. It was the EU that had raised the redflag first because of the concern that Thai aircraft were using EU airspace. The risk is more pronounced for EU nationals. The EU has been warning that it would do something.

The announcement from Thai Airways executives that more or less they don't care what FAA say since they stopped fly to USA October 25 and are not affected by the negative impact it have. I have always liked Thai and their service, but after this statement I will not fly with Thai anymore. I can't understand why Thai don't fix the problems instead of ignoring this time after time. Maybe the day when they are forbidden to fly to EU and some of the Asian countries they will wake up. Now with aircrafts that use less fuel then the Airbus 340 Thai could have had a market in the US. It's just unfair that the goverment in Thailand can't take air safety seriously, Ait Asia X like to expand their flights and they could be a good addition to Norwegians low cost flights now when Norwegian start Asian flights from London in addition to the Bangkok flights from Scandinavia

The impact is very significant. It means that TG will not be able to code share with US carriers. This will in turn mean no more code shares with carriers like Air Canada, Lufthansa, ANA, SAS and Brussels Airlines. All of the Star Alliance carriers in the developed world will be required to drop code shares with TG and there is a strong likelihood that TG could be compelled to withdraw from *A. Bangkok Airways could see it lose the code shares it has with Delta/KLM/Air France on the domestic routes.

This is going to cost Thailand's airlines. Domestic carriers are in for a wakeup call as they may eventually be restricted in key foreign markets of Hong Kong, Korea, Japan, Taiwan and Singapore.

Thailand was warned, but it ignored the warnings.

The more foreign restrictions placed on thais the better Imo...

I hope they will farang countries will adopt xenophobia towards thais, dual pricing and our immigration should treat them like criminals and make them jump through hoops.... Changing the hoops at least every year.... smile.png

Bla Bla Bla

By the way: The Schengen visa in Europe does pretty much of that jumping through loops stuff already. And US immigration also does not have the reputation of being too easy going. :-)

A Thai friend, who is a senior aviation engineer trained by the yanks, never worked in the industry in Thailand. He's worked all over. He told me that even if he could get a job in Thailand he doubted the system would allow him to do it to the standards, plus the pay is sh!t in comparison. Though he's retired now, he has a wealth of international experience, bet he never got a call from the powers to lend a hand, though, being a man of principle, I doubt he'd lower himself.

I think it's a step backwards for Thailand and also, I hope, a wake up call.

Having said that, I don't think CAAT is the only dodgy civil aviation authority in the region. The Australia ATSB and CASA both received severe criticism in a Australian Senate report and an independent Canadian review of one accident investigation (Pel-Air crash) which had all the hallmarks of being compromised by political or some other interference. Very reluctantly, six years after the event, the ATSB has now retrieved the black box from the crashed plane (having previously refused to do so) and are now busy on a new "final" report. Google it and see.

In my opinion, the only reason Australia hasn't been downgraded is that we haven't had a recent FAA audit.

I was disappointed to read the Thai International response. Every country needs decent governance, and the Thai Airways response is that the Thai CAAT is in effect irrelevant. In other words, "trust us!" Well, why should I? I don't want to leave my safety in the air to commercial instincts - the recent Indonesian report into a recent AirAsia A320 accident showed that the Indonesian franchise of Air Asia had known for numerous flights that there was a problem with the aircraft but didn't fix it. End result - more than a hundred people losing their lives.

Say what you want but this latest aviation fiasco is a direct result of military rule, combine Thainess and absolute control and you have an invitation to disaster

Going forward it will only get worse and the expression " power corrupts , and absolute power corrupts absolutely " will become even more appropriate once the military starts their normal blame game

Whilst the problems rest firmly with CAAT, it is a bit premature for THAI or other Thai airlines to say this won't impact them.

At this stage, it's the FAA downgrading the country's aviation administration. However, the red flag from the ICAO is still raised, and the EU (through its EASA) may also consider some action, as (according to reports elsewhere) it traditionally follows the FAA lead.

Should this happen, Thai airlines may find they are in very unfriendly skies indeed as Japan, Korea, and even China may also choose to consider action.

Thailand's experiment in "Guided Plutocracy" once more bumps up against reality aka "the rest of the world". Sanctions and downgrades are attempts to put training wheels on the bike of state (this really stretching it, sorry, need more coffee). However I think response here will be pouting, blaming and refusing to come out to play by the rules.

I took Thai back in the 80's and was very satisfied. Pity.

Say what you want but this latest aviation fiasco is a direct result of military rule, combine Thainess and absolute control and you have an invitation to disaster

Going forward it will only get worse and the expression " power corrupts , and absolute power corrupts absolutely " will become even more appropriate once the military starts their normal blame game

What rubbish, on the other hand you win the prize for today for the most extreme twist.

What the hell is going on in this country?

The aviation world has given Thailand so many chances to sort this problem out....the responce....nothing...

Says a lot about the present regime.

It says a lot about the refusal of many government agencies to cooperate and they have been doing this for decades not just in the last year or so.

So, Thai Stopped their flights to Los Angeles in October. It's almost as if they knew the downgrade was unavoidable. Now, in a typical face saving manner, they can loudly claim they are 'unaffected' by the ruling whistling.gif

Yes. That's what I noticed the most, that Thai Airways took the typical knee-jerk response of denial 'Oh, we're not affected anyway'. Short-sighted face saving bullcrap.

In contrast, Air Asia's CEO had a much better response, noting that this downgrade is a complete avoidable problem. (The downgrade is due to failing Thai government standards and procedures, not any individual airline. It is outside of any carrier's control.). So Mr. Bijleveld's response pointed at the actual trouble spot and clearly wants improvements.

Thai Airways however, as a semi government operation, is just as inept as government itself and their response further underscores this.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

EU inspectors announce their decision on 15th Dec and it will be very surprising if they don't go the same way as FAA - historically in this region once one regulator downgrades then others follow suit eventually as happenned with Indonesia and Philippines.

Useful piece of analysis from SCB a few months back on likely consequences:

https://www.scbeic.com/en/detail/product/1359

Biggest issue will be how the Junta react to this huge loss face in the international arena.

they will stick their pea-brain dinosaur heads in the sand, flail their arms wildly and scream through their a..es that it is all the falangs' fault...

whistling.gif

Well of course it's the Farangs fault,,,,THEY put all the Safety restrictions & Rules in place,,Exactly the same as the Fishing Industry problem,,,,Everything operates just Fine In Thailand ,,,,,BUT Thailand is not the only country in the world .You operate outside Thailand you have to Comply with the rules & regulations from the rest of the world !

The Thai's are unable to reform from within, via internal processes. Cannot be done on this scale. Must out source to acquire the attitudinal corrections professionalism requires in these areas.

Globalization, internationalism and the onset of ASEAN is going to kick their corporate habits around for a long time yet. The problem they really face is the dilemma to truly open up and deal with uncomfortable changes and periods or maintain this navel gazing culture which creates legacy issues for the next generation. I don't see positive reforming change capable of happening.

""THAI confirms its commitment to aviation safety standards, and assures all that THAI operates with the highest international aviation safety standards," he said."......how can this be true when the international authorities have downgraded you for not meeting international standards.