Critics doubt Thai PM's climate pledge

webfact

Critics doubt PM's climate pledge
PRATCH RUJIVANAROM,
JANJIRA PONGRAI
THE NATION

30274142-01_big.jpg?1449005030846

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday declared in front of the world community that Thailand would slash greenhouse gases by 20-25 per cent within 15 years, but critics panned the plan, saying it was just for show, as it looked unrealistic.

Prayut told the two-week-long United Nations climate-change summit in Paris that the Thai government was committed to the target of lowering greenhouse gas emissions by 20-25 per cent by 2030, set as part of its national plan developed under a shared commitment among members of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change to keep the world's temperature rise below 1.5 degrees Celsius.

This would be done by reducing fossil-fuel consumption while promoting greater use of renewable energy, he said.

The emphasis would be on promoting green industries and adopting the royal sufficiency-economy model as major principles for the country to achieve its sustainable development plan in 2030.

Kasemsan Jinnawaso, permanent secretary of the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry, claimed that Prayut's speech on Thailand's intention to halt global warming was highly appreciated by the conference. However, critics viewed Prayut's statement as just "window dressing" in front of the world leaders.

Srisuwan Janya, president of the Stop Global Warming Association, said the commitment was unrealistic and inconsistent with actual government policies.

"I see that our prime minister only used honey-coated words to please the global community, because what the government really does back home is totally contradictory to the goal that the PM announced," he said. It is very clear that the government still supports some of the coal-fired power-plant projects included in the latest Power Development Plan, he said.

Several of them have actually been scheduled to be built in the near future, such as those in Krabi and in Songkhla's Thepa, which will release a great deal of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

The policy of promoting industrial investment will also contribute to an increase in greenhouse-gas emissions, he said.

Penchom Saetang, director of Ecological Alert and Recovery-Thailand, remarking on the PM's speech at COP21, said she saw that the government did not pay enough attention to developing renewable and clean energy. It still focused on coal-fired power plants.

"I think we can reach the goal of cutting greenhouse gases by 20-25 per cent within the designated time frame, but we need to control the industry and coal-fired power plants immediately and switch to renewable-energy development," she said.

The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand's plan to use more coal should be stopped because burning coal to generate electricity was one of the activities that emit the most greenhouse gases, Penchom said.

"We should not wait for the government to change. People should come out to demand renewable energy," she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Critics-doubt-PMs-climate-pledge-30274142.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-02

This guy has lost the plot. For a start the majority of the country are poor and if his other "promise" to improve their quality of life happens, their emissions will increase with their use of energy and commodities.

Look at every section of society. Nothing is maintain, nothing is done properly, buildings are constructed cheaply with little thought of efficiency, only profit. If there are laws they are ignored, if there are standards they are ignored. Even the announcements are ignored once made.

If they achieve anything less than a 50% increase over the next 15 years I would be very surprised.

Edited by Reigntax

This guy has lost the plot. For a start the majority of the country are poor and if his other "promise" to improve their quality of life happens, their emissions will increase with their use of energy and commodities.

Look at every section of society. Nothing is maintain, nothing is done properly, buildings are constructed cheaply with little thought of efficiency, only profit. If there are laws they are ignored, if there are standards they are ignored. Even the announcements are ignored once made.

If they achieve anything less than a 50% increase over the next 15 years I would be very surprised.

Let's not forget that he can't even get his people to stop growing off season crops to conserve water or to change their crops. Nobody listens to the gov nor cares what they dictate unless it hurts them in some way, shape, or form or unless they get caught and even then the punishments are given more as warnings than as deterrents.

He is the epitome of power now; not answerable to anyone and can make pledges like environment or human rights to international audiences without any sense of ownership. And when the world communities criticize harshly, his feel good ultras will be on the streets. When the domestic critics gets too loud, he just bring them in for attitude adjustment or charge them for sedition. No global leaders will take him seriously even China.

If you are going to reduce something, greenhouse gases in this case, where do you start?

I mean, what's the current meter reading for Thailand? Nobody has a clue, other than guestimates = politicians will continue to spout nonsense.

It IS good though, as it makes all the bleeding hearts feel good.

Hot air from politicians seems to be the only thing that does the trick for them.

Why doesn't the PM stay home & go on the warpath against plastic bags in the ocean?

If I were him I'd bring in a guillotine for anybody tossing garbage into the sea.

Thailand_Pattaya_beach_environment_7611_

Edited by jaywalker

It will all be forgotten in a couple of years when the next prime minister is in power and will say that the figures were unrealistic. Politics.

Maybe not if Prayut Gore-ocha continues scaremongering as a co-star of Obama's in directing public funds into the smoke and mystery hole of climate change. How lame do people have to be to allow tax monies to be allocated for climate change? The climate changes almost daily, certainly monthly, and it always has irrespective of human carbon footprints, as evidenced by historic warming and cooling cycles.

But in Thailand there is so much inefficiency and so much sun that it would be easy to save lots of energy....At the end there will be still an increase but much less. Solar cells make a lot more sense in Thailand than in Germany...

Well ... I guess he knew exactly what he said:

Now he can base every stupid decission on all matters to his "greenhouse gas reduction targets" [even though he probably doesn't know that CO2 is NOT changing the climate !!!]

People will need to agree on all policies ... no matter how stupid they are !!!

That's the basic principle behind this whole climate scam.

BTW:

Solar energy has a negative energy balance and is as such NOT sustainable.

Wind energy has some pretty bad side effects and is NOT environmentally friendly.

So, now with oil, gas and coal all being on the list of being removed from energy production, where will the energy come from ?

Might be time for some people to start using their brains as this is all utter nonsense !!!

Well ... I guess he knew exactly what he said:

Now he can base every stupid decission on all matters to his "greenhouse gas reduction targets" [even though he probably doesn't know that CO2 is NOT changing the climate !!!]

People will need to agree on all policies ... no matter how stupid they are !!!

That's the basic principle behind this whole climate scam.

BTW:

Wind energy has some pretty bad side effects and is NOT environmentally friendly.

So, now with oil, gas and coal all being on the list of being removed from energy production, where will the energy come from ?

Might be time for some people to start using their brains as this is all utter nonsense !!!

"Wind energy has some pretty bad side effects and is NOT environmentally friendly."

Okay- I'll bite!

How?

Explain, please!

"Might be time for some people to start using their brains as this is all utter nonsense !!!"

Indeed! Start with yourself, please!

All the hot air being emitted from the junta's speeches are the biggest threat to global warming in Thailand! Simply cutting back on these will allow the country to easily meet its greenhouse gas reduction targets.

The Thai army is currently developing a secret project with the Hitachi. It will make a Big Ass Fan, with fan blades of over 100 meters in length.

They will then turn it to the North so that it will blow all the pollution out of Thailand and into Myanmer. It will be done at night; so that the Burmese will take the heat.

Case solved.

"Wind energy has some pretty bad side effects and is NOT environmentally friendly."

Okay- I'll bite!

How?

Explain, please!

"Might be time for some people to start using their brains as this is all utter nonsense !!!"

Wind turbines produce frequencies that interfere with natural frequencies causing all sort of problems.

If you would want to know anything about any of this you would probably be able to find this out for yourself ... I guess we can forget about this

As you seem to let other's think for yourself and only repeat what others tell you I will not comment on your last sentence.

Okay- I'll bite!

How?

Explain, please!

Wind turbines produce frequencies that interfere with natural frequencies causing all sort of problems.

If you would want to know anything about any of this you would probably be able to find this out for yourself ... I guess we can forget about this

As you seem to let other's think for yourself and only repeat what others tell you I will not comment on your last sentence.

No, dude!

YOU made claims, now YOU bring the evidence!

I am really interested, but I am not gonna search some bogus tinfoil- webpages!

"produce frequencies that interfere with natural frequencies causing all sort of problems" They produce stuff that interferes with things causing all kinds of other stuff!

Excellent argumentation!

FYI: http://energytransition.de/2013/11/denmark-surpasses-100-percent-wind-power/

...and I have not heard of ONE problem about "frequencies" and Denmark being on the brink of an wind-energy apocalypse.

But I guess, you know better...you and the fossil fuel- lobby!

Edited by DM07

This guy and previous administrations cannot control the mining industry from polluting the countryside, so where do we get these figures from , another pledge to go unheeded , fortunately Prayut - O leaves the legacy and a bright set of figures to another Administration to handle when he hands to country back to Democracy, so under that score , guess you can just about say anything just to shut the international community up......................................coffee1.gif

Just got back from having dinner in town and every single govt building is closed but lit up like a Christmas tree. If calling a halt to this madness isn't amongst the first of the Generals actions then he's part of the problem and not the solution.

Edited by apetley

The environment got hotter by 2 degrees just by the hot air coming from his mouth.

Here's a real idea: you're in the tropics, start dressing appropriately instead of strutting around in a suit, contained in concrete cubes brought down to glacial temperatures. Wear a sarong.

Edited by DrTuner

The environment got hotter by 2 degrees just by the hot air coming from his mouth.

Here's a real idea: you're in the tropics, start dressing appropriately instead of strutting around in a suit, contained in concrete cubes brought down to glacial temperatures. Wear a sarong.

Nobody wants to see the PM in a sarong. Please. There must be another way.

like the junta's other pledge to reduce road traffic accidents by 80% in 2 years. So sad its laughable. Bunch of clowns that have no idea what they are saying and how everyone perceives their comments. They could not organise the proverbial p@@@ up in a brewery.