Child rapists too young to be charged: cops

geovalin

Battambang Provincial Court yesterday declined to charge two boys accused of raping a 6-year-old girl on Saturday in O’Romal commune, according to local authorities.

Chet Vanny, Battambang provincial deputy police chief, confirmed that the suspects, aged 11 and 13 years old, had confessed to the crime. “The suspects admitted that they raped the girl at the straw pile behind the girl’s house and that the girl told her mother about the rape,” he said.

However, after being sent to court for questioning, the boys were not charged because they were below the minimum age of criminal responsibility.

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/child-rapists-too-young-be-charged-cops

Do they not have juvenile prisons here in Thailand?? I mean to let them off Scott free means that they will feel that they got away with this crime and will most likely do it again. Bang them up, get them some mental counseling and maybe in the future they will be like normal people. What a F&**ing joke the judge must be to just let them walk.

Do they not have juvenile prisons here in Thailand?? I mean to let them off Scott free means that they will feel that they got away with this crime and will most likely do it again. Bang them up, get them some mental counseling and maybe in the future they will be like normal people. What a F&**ing joke the judge must be to just let them walk.

Would it matter if they had juvenile prisons here in Thailand??..........

....... When this crime was committed in another country --not-- Thailand..................................coffee1.gif

Edited by oxo1947

In most countries the lack of charges due to age, would be common, despite the despicable act performed... And confessed to.

As Chinstar points out, women and children have little access to the law, and even less in some middle eastern countries

That said, these youths should not simply be released... I doubt Cambodia has a Juvenal detention program ( and would have thought that they would simply be thrown into an existing prison.... To experience the act they themselves perpetrated)

Later stories may add more, but as a minimum, these boys should be removed from any places whereby they might come into contact with this poor girl, and be required to report into a police station weekly, at least

I doubt, also , that many SE Asian countries have sexual offenders registrations, but cases like this should serve to galvanize public opinion, in the 21st century, and force authorities into enacting checks and balances, to hopefully reduce the instances of this type of unforgivable crime, that could well ruin the life of the victim

That said.... I have witnessed vigilante justice in PNG ( a death for a death), and just maybe these lads may be punished by the community, as it would have been during the ages... Or we can hope so, at least.

Too young to be charged but apparently not too young to rape? What kind of BS is this?

Next we read will be "too young to file a complaint (directly or through an adult) but not too young to get raped?

These two "kids" need serious help under tight supervision of professional psychiatrists. It is simply not "normal behaviour" for 13 or 11 years old boys to rape. Wondering what kind of upbringing and parental care they had.

Certain actions cannot be protected due to the juvenile factor that this, IMHO, is definitely one of them.

'Do they not have juvenile prisons here in Thailand??' Almost certainly, but Cambodia is unlikely to be interested in utilising them.

How would posters like the same draconian punishments applied to them? Is there some country in which little boys never touch little girls? What did the posters do when they were little boys?

....... When this crime was committed in another country --not-- Thailand..................................coffee1.gif

Aren't you the smug smart one.

In the UK, the age of criminal responsibility is 10 years. The emphasis though, is not on punishment but on protection for the victim and appropriate measures to deal with the offenders. Even in a relatively advanced nation like the UK this is not a perfect system and depends on cooperation between the social services, police, probation and other agencies.

I don't think these agencies in either Thailand or Cambodia have the funding, staff, or training to do this effectively.

• 1 month later...

Most advanced countries have facilities, intensive in-patient units that are geared toward providing psychological treatment to children and adolescents. However, with this sort of aberrant behavior, successful "cures" are unlikely...but the best chance for these kids and society is to render treatment at the earliest opportunity...so sad, but you are correct...the liklihood of these kids committing this same anti-social behavior in the future is quite high...moreover, the behavior will escalate...I would not be surprised if these kids kill someone before they are out of their teens.