Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg to give away 99% of shares

webfact

Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg to give away 99% of shares

(BBC) Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan say they will give away 99% of their shares in the company to good causes as they announce the birth of their daughter Max.

Mr Zuckerberg made the announcement in a letter to Max on his Facebook page.

He said they are donating their fortune to the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative because they want to make the world a better place for Max to grow up in.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34978249

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-12-02

nice gesture but I doubt it'll make the world any different for max.

There is the usual and there is the new. This is probably the first time in our history that so much has been given away to so many in one lump.

This is the new.

Of course there is the problem of how to spend it. Not our problem.

Not making a difference is old.

Everything makes a difference. From the smallest gesture of kindness to the largest.

No one of us can make a difference to the world's problems, but every one of us can make a difference to the world around us, if and when we choose to.

Once a day, every day?

After giving away 99%, Zuckerberg will be a newly impoverished half a billionaire with a net worth of only 450 million.

He won't be giving anything away

Creating a 'Foundation' is a clever way by the super rich to protect their wealth from the IRS and onerous inheritance taxes.

Difficult to believe that all these people suddenly beacame so altruistic

Buffet, Gates, Clinton,..even going back to the days of the Rockefellers,Carnegies, Ford.

Your post has a cynical tone... but in all probability it's spot on.

After giving away 99%, Zuckerberg will be a newly impoverished half a billionaire with a net worth of only 450 million.

Creating a 'Foundation' is a clever way by the super rich to protect their wealth from the IRS and onerous inheritance taxes.

Buffet, Gates, Clinton,..even going back to the days of the Rockefellers,Carnegies, Ford.

Not only that, but he'll be able to do whatever he wants with the money without personal scrutiny.

and on top of that they blatantly laugh in our faces by telling us this rubbish.

The conceit of these people. It must be so nice to sit on God's table the way they do.

I read an article somewhere that if just 6 billion was spent then we could ensure freeflowing water to the entire continent of Africa.

"Creating a 'Foundation' is a clever way by the super rich to protect their wealth from the IRS and onerous inheritance taxes."

The number one goal of a foundation is to protect the interests of the people who funded the foundation.

Of course it's a scam. Drive around any major city and look at all the nice buildings that foundations think they need.

There's probably much worst ways of doing tax scams. It all depends on the objectives of the founder, then the heirs.

Many wealthy people give away large sums of money, but they give them to a charitable trust that they control. Giving to the trust is a tax deductible event and saves the donor a bundle in taxes. Imagine the capital gains taxes this guy would have to pay if he sold the shares today at the profit he would realize.

He can deduct from his taxes the value of the stock even though it didn't cost him that much. Then the huge amounts of money he has made from the company itself can be almost tax free due to the deductions.

There is always a way to game the system and rich people have experts to help them. Notice that the article never claimed this would leave the donor broke.

I am always amazed at how cynical people can be. The guy sets up foundation to help others. Of course, he avoids taxes, but the point is either his money can go to help others as he sees best or he can pay it in taxes.

Kudos to Zuckerberg and congratulations to him and his wife on the new addition to their family.

I hope this new and positive endeavor with his wealth gives them all some meaning and fulfillment. I don't think sitting on piles of cash does. It didn't seem to bring Steve Jobs a great deal of comfort.

i've met Mark, he comes to Thailand quite often. I drove him home from Zenred Salon in Rama 3 where he was getting his haircut a few years ago

we got chatting and he was a very down to earth guy. It was before he got married and he was telling me that he had just made another substantial amount of money investing in a detergent factory here in Thailand.

It was after the floods so he must have profited well from the clean up. Sadly he hasnt been back for a few years now, but whatever he touches usually makes good, its not just FB.

Many wealthy people give away large sums of money, but they give them to a charitable trust that they control. Giving to the trust is a tax deductible event and saves the donor a bundle in taxes. Imagine the capital gains taxes this guy would have to pay if he sold the shares today at the profit he would realize.

He can deduct from his taxes the value of the stock even though it didn't cost him that much. Then the huge amounts of money he has made from the company itself can be almost tax free due to the deductions.

There is always a way to game the system and rich people have experts to help them. Notice that the article never claimed this would leave the donor broke.

Notice the article said he would give away 99% of shares.....

That last 1% is worth about 450million. Might be why they did not mention this would leave him broke.

Exactly,....That's why all those Kings, Queens, princes, princesses, ex presidents, etc,...have "Charity" Foundations...it let's them continue the good life (first class air-tickets or private jets, five star hotels and top restaurants) on expenses reimbursed by there charity......

Best regards.

I am always amazed at how cynical people can be. The guy sets up foundation to help others. Of course, he avoids taxes, but the point is either his money can go to help others as he sees best or he can pay it in taxes.

Kudos to Zuckerberg and congratulations to him and his wife on the new addition to their family.

I hope this new and positive endeavor with his wealth gives them all some meaning and fulfillment. I don't think sitting on piles of cash does. It didn't seem to bring Steve Jobs a great deal of comfort.

It did bring Steve Jobs a great deal of comfort in he's life time, a huge one indeed,.........but he was mortal, and could not take it with him in the grave...

Regards,

He'll be making a lot more difference than any nay-sayers for sure.

That's why all those Kings, Queens, princes, princesses, ex presidents, etc,...have "Charity" Foundations...it let's them continue the good life (first class air-tickets or private jets, five star hotels and top restaurants) on expenses reimbursed by there charity.....

He'll be making a lot more difference than any nay-sayers for sure.

That's why all those Kings, Queens, princes, princesses, ex presidents, etc,...have "Charity" Foundations...it let's them continue the good life (first class air-tickets or private jets, five star hotels and top restaurants) on expenses reimbursed by there charity.....

And if they didn't have a 'charity', they couldn't continue with the good life? I don't think so. They could live an even better life, instead they use their money, fame and time to help others have a little bit better life.

I wish him well ,

if just one thing is invented or improved that helps a large number of the people that is good ,

I hope they work on crops that will grow in the changing climate , will grow in salt water and without chemicals,

Has anyone seen interviews of what he is really interested in ?