Drunk Driver Kills Cop by Crashing into a Motorbike at a Red Light in Chiang Mai

webfact

From all that happens on the roads I think it is a pretty good bet that we all want the police to come down hard on drunk driving and all other driving offences.

But where are the road stuff BiB...?

It would get very interesting if the police were able to acquire the equipment for random breath tests, and organise accordingly.

While they regularly check registrations on vehicles at roadblocks, I've yet to see any police with a hand held breathalyser.

Really they were doing it a lot last and early this year.. And its very much routine in Phuket.

Around 30 metres away from where the body of the police man was found, the police found a car with two men inside.

Jeez, and this time they did not run away....Something changes in LOS ???? Christmas?

How far out of it were they? could not run or even think enought to get rid of the ice, bit scary when you think of how many others are driving around like this.

Perhaps I should have made myself more clearer - I do not agree with 'drunk driving' - but I do believe in 'drink driving'. By that I mean I do not agree with having a few beers/wine over dinner and then being abitrarly declared over a pre-determined limit and therefore unable to drive and a danger to myself and others. If ever I have more than a couple the 'better half' or a mate or a taxi/tuk tuk/songthaew drives.

But where I call home, all it takes is a couple of beers/wine and you are over a 'limit'. The fact of the matter is that there are many many people out there driving, where I call home and here, whose ability to drive is far far less than the 'average' and much less than mine. And before anyone thinks that injustified, I have ridden bikes and driven cars for over 40 years and have never had an accident that was my fault (hit at low speed by others a couple of times). That I also competed in bike and car racing events, and have had plenty of training to be able to ride/drive fast, and that I worked in jobs that meant I often drove over 25,000kms in a year, certainly helped. But my point is not me being a 'better' driver after a few beers/wines, it is that back home there has been a ridiculous focus on drink driving and speed limits. This has also been backed up by years of bullsheeite 'advertising' that has convinced many people that to have a beer and drive is a criminal behaviour, and that going 65 in a 50 zone (that used to be 80) warrants arrest. It has become the 'nanny state' there versus the 'wild west' here - and I prefer the wild west. But they do need a few more sherrifs here out and about here on the roads (especially CM), discouraging the idiots who get drunk and then drive (and making bike riders wear helmets).

Having said that, the nanny state has got it right a few times - such as seat belts and bike helmets and red-light cameras and 50km in suburbs - but they have gone too far with drink driving laws and speed/cameras and speed limits. The way it is going back home, the nannys will soon make it so that any alcohol in blood will be illegal, and it will be 40km everywhere but the highways (and only 80km there). There is a main road near my place back home that is a 6 lane divided highway (3 + 3) and it used to be 90kms over 10 years ago - it is now down to 40km for 2km (school adjoins but no kids exit that side) and 50km for another 5km - THAT is what the nanny state will do everywhere.

I much prefer this 'lawless' system here - I am accountable and I accept that accountability - I do not need to be told by my 'Nanny/Mother' what to do and what not to do - if she has her way I will never drive/ride again because it is too dangerous. And dont ask me what she thinks about me having a few beers with mates :) Nannys/mothers are wonderful - but they should never be allowed to run a state.

From all that happens on the roads I think it is a pretty good bet that we all want the police to come down hard on drunk driving and all other driving offences.

But where are the road stuff BiB...?

It is what we all want but I think we all know there will be snow in Bangkok before it happens

• 2 weeks later...

And if I may add another point while I am warmed up............

I like the fact that I can go and have a drink and drive home here - without feeling like a criminal. I for one do not miss all the bullshit about speeding and drinking that has now dominated the Nanny State I call home. Hopefully, Thailand never goes that far that a person can break into your house and gets a warning (and the stolen property is never recovered), and on the way back to the home that was being robbed, you are breathalysed and get a huge fine and suspended from driving for 3 months for having a few drinks (not speeding, no accident, just unlucky). Here in Thailand there is a much better 'balance' between things - if you have a few drinks and drink carefully there is no problem. BUT if you have an accident you are up sheeiite creek - it is all up to you. Having said that, what IS needed is policing of the small appendage idiots who have a few beers and think they are both Fangio and Shumacher - in their pickup truck or 4WD facepalm.gif

What a hypocrite.Other people can't drink but it's ok if i have a few and be careful.Any amount of alcohol diminisses your driving ability.Tell up to you to the person you hit,don't rekon they will agree.You are a chancer.Considering how cheap public transport is in Thailand,there are no excuses whatsoever for drink driving.I learnt the hard,stupid way in my own country,no body hurt but only a matter of time.

Perhaps I should have made myself more clearer - I do not agree with 'drunk driving' - but I do believe in 'drink driving'. By that I mean I do not agree with having a few beers/wine over dinner and then being abitrarly declared over a pre-determined limit and therefore unable to drive and a danger to myself and others. If ever I have more than a couple the 'better half' or a mate or a taxi/tuk tuk/songthaew drives.

But where I call home, all it takes is a couple of beers/wine and you are over a 'limit'. The fact of the matter is that there are many many people out there driving, where I call home and here, whose ability to drive is far far less than the 'average' and much less than mine. And before anyone thinks that injustified, I have ridden bikes and driven cars for over 40 years and have never had an accident that was my fault (hit at low speed by others a couple of times). That I also competed in bike and car racing events, and have had plenty of training to be able to ride/drive fast, and that I worked in jobs that meant I often drove over 25,000kms in a year, certainly helped. But my point is not me being a 'better' driver after a few beers/wines, it is that back home there has been a ridiculous focus on drink driving and speed limits. This has also been backed up by years of bullsheeite 'advertising' that has convinced many people that to have a beer and drive is a criminal behaviour, and that going 65 in a 50 zone (that used to be 80) warrants arrest. It has become the 'nanny state' there versus the 'wild west' here - and I prefer the wild west. But they do need a few more sherrifs here out and about here on the roads (especially CM), discouraging the idiots who get drunk and then drive (and making bike riders wear helmets).

Having said that, the nanny state has got it right a few times - such as seat belts and bike helmets and red-light cameras and 50km in suburbs - but they have gone too far with drink driving laws and speed/cameras and speed limits. The way it is going back home, the nannys will soon make it so that any alcohol in blood will be illegal, and it will be 40km everywhere but the highways (and only 80km there). There is a main road near my place back home that is a 6 lane divided highway (3 + 3) and it used to be 90kms over 10 years ago - it is now down to 40km for 2km (school adjoins but no kids exit that side) and 50km for another 5km - THAT is what the nanny state will do everywhere.

I much prefer this 'lawless' system here - I am accountable and I accept that accountability - I do not need to be told by my 'Nanny/Mother' what to do and what not to do - if she has her way I will never drive/ride again because it is too dangerous. And dont ask me what she thinks about me having a few beers with mates smile.png Nannys/mothers are wonderful - but they should never be allowed to run a state.

So you think the law should not apply to you because you are a experienced impaired driver.This is why the nanny state is needed to try and stop the god complex of,i know best.

louse1953

It is true - my views towards drink driving does not align with most of those in the country I used to live in. My views align with most of those in the country I currently live in - Thailand.

Like myself, most Thais do not agree that anyone drunk (intoxicated) should drive a car/truck - and that no one should drive fast and/or dangerously. But having 2-3 beers over dinner/lunch does not adversly affect my ability to drive - especially when I drive aS i ALWAYS DO - patiently and not dangerously. I do not agree with people getting drunk and driving dangerously - period. But I do not believe that having a blood alcohol reading of 0.049 means I am 'drunk' and that a blood alcohol reading of 0.051 means I am not 'drunk'. I also believe that many years of aggressive 're-education' and media advertising campaigns has lead some people in 'the West' to believe that having just 1 drink and driving should be illegal. The Nanny State mechansim has gone too far - that is my belief.

The majority of Thai people's views on having a drink and driving a car/truck are not because of the same reasons for my belief, and they are not because of any lack of knowledge. They are because they have a different view towards life than our Jeudo-Christian based way of life: we accept the 'system' whereby we are 'directed from above' - "though shalt not....". The Thai/Buddhist way of life does not work that way - it is far more complex and much less 'directed'. One of the main 'ways' that is very different to ours is that they believe that it is up to each person to do the right thing in life. The outcome of their way of life and thinking, means that their views towards having a drink and driving a car/truck, align with mine - for different reasons, but the same outcome - Thais believe very strongly in self accountability.

I do understand that someone that has had an experience regarding a bad drink driving outcome can sometimes get a little 'strong', but please re-read my posts and you will see I am not condoning drunk or dangerous driving - not for others and not for myself either. Nor am I saying that I or others should be able to drive when we have had enough alcohol to impair our ability to drive. What I am saying is that the NannyState has gone too far in 'directing attitudes' about alcohol and driving (and speed) - and that I believe that it should be more up to the individual. I knew a bloke that could have 4 or 5 beers and was perfectly functional (could play cricket/soccer and drive easily), but I also knew a lady who was a terrible driver after just one wine. We are all different and the application of a pre-set blood alcohol limit (and constant lowering of that limit), and introduction of more and more severe penalties for going over it, are not right in my opinion.

This is the Wiki site detailing the official blood alcohol levels and outcomes that the Nanny State uses : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

I understand why this arbitrary limit has been applied - it is the Nanny State (lowest common demoninator etc.) - I just do not agree with the table because for me as it is patently wrong.

Nobody should be allowed to drink and drive. Period. If you want to drink, take a taxi.

or walk! Geez, when all is said and done, the night time may be the best time to be walking around here....the intersections aren't blocked, and there are about 1/20 the cars on the road. Make sure you're visible, and you still gotta be on the look out, but also consider how much more comfortable it is to exercise in 22c vs. 34c. Grab a bite to eat on the way home, too. You will be glad you did the next day. RIP, Officer. Unfortunately, with things like dogs, rats, garbage, and driving...that seem to be reaching critical mass...they often have to get worse before they get better.

louse1953

It is true - my views towards drink driving does not align with most of those in the country I used to live in. My views align with most of those in the country I currently live in - Thailand.

Like myself, most Thais do not agree that anyone drunk (intoxicated) should drive a car/truck - and that no one should drive fast and/or dangerously. But having 2-3 beers over dinner/lunch does not adversly affect my ability to drive - especially when I drive aS i ALWAYS DO - patiently and not dangerously. I do not agree with people getting drunk and driving dangerously - period. But I do not believe that having a blood alcohol reading of 0.049 means I am 'drunk' and that a blood alcohol reading of 0.051 means I am not 'drunk'. I also believe that many years of aggressive 're-education' and media advertising campaigns has lead some people in 'the West' to believe that having just 1 drink and driving should be illegal. The Nanny State mechansim has gone too far - that is my belief.

The majority of Thai people's views on having a drink and driving a car/truck are not because of the same reasons for my belief, and they are not because of any lack of knowledge. They are because they have a different view towards life than our Jeudo-Christian based way of life: we accept the 'system' whereby we are 'directed from above' - "though shalt not....". The Thai/Buddhist way of life does not work that way - it is far more complex and much less 'directed'. One of the main 'ways' that is very different to ours is that they believe that it is up to each person to do the right thing in life. The outcome of their way of life and thinking, means that their views towards having a drink and driving a car/truck, align with mine - for different reasons, but the same outcome - Thais believe very strongly in self accountability.

I do understand that someone that has had an experience regarding a bad drink driving outcome can sometimes get a little 'strong', but please re-read my posts and you will see I am not condoning drunk or dangerous driving - not for others and not for myself either. Nor am I saying that I or others should be able to drive when we have had enough alcohol to impair our ability to drive. What I am saying is that the NannyState has gone too far in 'directing attitudes' about alcohol and driving (and speed) - and that I believe that it should be more up to the individual. I knew a bloke that could have 4 or 5 beers and was perfectly functional (could play cricket/soccer and drive easily), but I also knew a lady who was a terrible driver after just one wine. We are all different and the application of a pre-set blood alcohol limit (and constant lowering of that limit), and introduction of more and more severe penalties for going over it, are not right in my opinion.

This is the Wiki site detailing the official blood alcohol levels and outcomes that the Nanny State uses : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

I understand why this arbitrary limit has been applied - it is the Nanny State (lowest common demoninator etc.) - I just do not agree with the table because for me as it is patently wrong.

If I could be bothered to write my views here about drinking and driving, they would be very close to the ones expressed in this post.

So do you leave it to the individual to decide if he's had enough to drink? Unfortunately I've had quite a few mates over the years who thought they were ok to drive, they ended up in a field, upside down.

I've had 30 years of thinking I was OK to drive after a few beers and I've never had an accident.

I've also never had a mate end up in a field upside down let alone have a plural number of mates do this. Emotion often encourages exaggeration.

Edited by Loaded

So do you leave it to the individual to decide if he's had enough to drink? Unfortunately I've had quite a few mates over the years who thought they were ok to drive, they ended up in a field, upside down.

I've had 30 years of thinking I was OK to drive after a few beers and I've never had an accident.

I've also never had a mate end up in a field upside down let alone have a plural number of mates do this. Emotion often encourages exaggeration.

No emotion and no exaggeration.

No emotion and no exaggeration.

Make sure you don't accept a lift home with your mates after a night out laugh.png