Huge Police Check Point - Across From Makro

craigt3365

Yes I went through it and was wondering what it was about. Looking for the abductors seems likely.

I had just been stopped on the railway line bypass, but that was for a licence and tax check.

PP. They DO want to see an IDP, a UK licence may not suffice.

A UK licence was never any good unless the cop didn't know any better or he was just doing a nice

thing letting people go with it. wai2.gif

It had sufficed in the past (sometimes), and the guy was complaining that the bike renter never mentioned it, but why would he?

I just wish it was clear. I believe a Thai licence suffices for a tourist to drive in the UK.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A UK licence was never any good unless the cop didn't know any better or he was just doing a nice

thing letting people go with it. wai2.gif

It had sufficed in the past (sometimes), and the guy was complaining that the bike renter never mentioned it, but why would he?

I just wish it was clear. I believe a Thai licence suffices for a tourist to drive in the UK.

Most things in Thailand are as clear as Mud.

But for this one its clear to me. wai2.gif

Macro where?What a waste of bandwith!

here is a clue just for you.

attachicon.gifmakro.jpg

Well that may be useful until it becomes a featured thread and appears on the home page... which it was when I clicked on it.

So you see, I never went to the Pattaya forum.

You see, I only ever use the "view new content" button so never visit individual forms to look at content and you know what. The forum the post is in is also listed there.

post-186594-0-42697800-1449110191_thumb.

There have been big checkpoints on 2nd Road outside the Royal Garden several mornings recently. Normally I am waved through these in my pick-up but two days ago they did actually look at my tax disk and reminded me that it needs renewing this month (which I knew).

I think that checks of cars increase at the end of the year as it is more easy then to spot the ones with out of date tax disks.

Not really sure about that as it's not required that these be displayed on the windshield anymore.

Yes, the recent increase in checkpoints is a real PITA...I may have to consider getting a driver's license.

Nah, some roadblock isn't gonna make me take drastic measures, like a local driving licence. They can try the local cheap tricks on some noob.

I rent a Kawasaki KSR sometimes, very cute miniature super bike, and if they think some road blocks here are gonna change my routine, they are badly mistaken.

Btw I thought you drive a truck, but I may have you confused with JoeSixpack.

Speaking of, where is Joe6pack? He been missing for some time now, and I miss him!

JoeSixpack, come out.. wherever you are!

Seriously! Come back! Nation needs you!

Yes, that's what I mean, they've become a PITA because they have stooped to stopping SUVS now too. I couldn't give a hoot about what happens to the scooter brigade.

There have been big checkpoints on 2nd Road outside the Royal Garden several mornings recently. Normally I am waved through these in my pick-up but two days ago they did actually look at my tax disk and reminded me that it needs renewing this month (which I knew).

I think that checks of cars increase at the end of the year as it is more easy then to spot the ones with out of date tax disks.

Not really sure about that as it's not required that these be displayed on the windshield anymore.

Are you sure? I was pulled over not long ago as mine was out of date. Luckily, I had the new one in the glove box.

Yes I went through it and was wondering what it was about. Looking for the abductors seems likely.

I had just been stopped on the railway line bypass, but that was for a licence and tax check.

No big...6 mos expired tax sticker and 9 years expired license = B 500 at my last stop.

Are you sure? I was pulled over not long ago as mine was out of date. Luckily, I had the new one in the glove box.

The tax disc is still to be displayed in the windscreen, it was the basic insurance sticker that no longer needs to be displayed.

Of course always to be clearly displayed.

For motorcycles there are such "acrylic glass tubes" where you can roll it in and attach somewhere at the bike.

Seems acceptable for road checks.

And only this type:

img225.jpg

I could not find out, what it legally means exactly.

But sure you will get it only if tax and mandatory insurance is paid.

Edited by KhunBENQ

For motorcycles there are such "acrylic glass tubes" where you can roll it in and attach somewhere at the bike.

And only this type:

img225.jpg

U can stick the tax on the inside of the seat, Done it 4 last 7 years never a prob with the guys in poo sorry mean brown

Edited by Sooo Upto Me

And only this type:

img225.jpg

That sticker is to prove you have paid the vehicle road tax...to be able to get the tax sticker you need to show current compulsory insurance.

U can stick the tax on the inside of the seat, no probs

Yes but when they stop you you'll have to get off the bike and open the seat....

A few times they have seen my tax clearly displayed and just waved me on

other times ( maybe at the end of the month ) they want to see licence too !

And only this type:

img225.jpg

Does not legally need to be displayed I was told by Myton shop, keep mine safely under the seat, been stopped many times and never a problem

The tax disc is still to be displayed in the windscreen, it was the basic insurance sticker that no longer needs to be displayed.

My understanding was that neither needed to be displayed anymore...interesting. One reason being some drivers would just keep adding stickers to the windshield each year and I used to see cars with half the windshield covered in stickers obstructing the driver's view. However, they do still give you the sticker sleeve attachment so maybe you are right.

And only this type:

img225.jpg

Does not legally need to be displayed I was told by Myton shop, keep mine safely under the seat, been stopped many times and never a problem

That's my understanding...just need to have it handy, like license and insurance papers, if stopped. However, nothing precludes one from displaying it and this may sometimes get one waived through a check point.

Yes, IDP needed.

I got pulled on 3rd road last week. UK licence and IDP required.

The police also checked tax on cars and m/c.

No dodgy fines, all to be paid at the police station.

Yes, IDP needed.

uk licence as well, since when is that a requirement in Thailand ? wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

You can expect more checks due to,

Security officials are urging calm after a leaked police memo revealed that Syrians linked to ISIS may have entered Thailand to attack Russians and their allies in Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok.

Full story todays online Bangkok Post, right at the bottom.

You can expect more checks due to,

Security officials are urging calm after a leaked police memo revealed that Syrians linked to ISIS may have entered Thailand to attack Russians and their allies in Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok.

Full story todays online Bangkok Post, right at the bottom.

The Russians have allies?

Yes, IDP needed.

An IDP on it's own is not valid it needs to accompany the original licence.

Yes, IDP needed.

Can you show me where is says that in Thailand wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Yes, IDP needed.

Can you show me where is says that in Thailand wai2.gif

It is not so much where it says anything in written form, but what the Police ask for. If you do not produce it, they either take the m/c or your licence and give you a fine to pay at the police station. fine paid, you get you m/c or licence back.

Though only a sporadic visitor to Pattaya I have not thought a second about which Makro biggrin.png

Beat me if it was not the "old" southern Makro on Sukhumvit road.

(not even noticed the other one yet which seems to have opened a year ago or so?)

No Macro BTW whistling.gif

Yes they block Sukhumvit during day time.

And they do breathalyser tests at 10 in the morning.

And I have added a motorcycle license to my portfolio after having escaped with a 500 Baht "on the spot/no receipt" fee for not having motorcycle license (only car). That was at the almost every evening motorcycle trap on 3rd road near the flyover).

That was money well spent. You could have saved hours at the police station for only an extra 100 baht.

Did you offer them the money, or were they hinting for it?

Yes, IDP needed.

Even if you have all that, they may ask to see if you have a copy of your green book. One guy I was talking to got a fine for not having that and he had a Thai licence.