Can I convert Non Imm B to Retirement?

From the Singapore Thai Embassy website .

"Please note that Non-Immigrant Visa-O-A (Long Stay/Retirement) will only be granted by the Royal Thai Embassy, Singapore, to Singaporean citizens and Singapore’s Permanent Residents."

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-o-a-long-stay

If you do not qualify the only other place an O/A visa could be obtained would be in the UK.

Are you sure that you want an O/A visa ?

Edited by expatbrit

I am not sure that I want an O-A. I want an extension of stay based on retirement. Looking at previous posts It looks like I may not be able to convert my non Imm B. Reading the info at the Royal Thai embassy it looks like I need a non Imm O-A or is their another way of doing this?

Last year when I tried to change my Ed Visa to retirement, the lady at Immigration at Jomtien said, I have to either go to Cambodia to change my visa to a tourist one first then go to Immigration at Bangkok to apply the retirement one or simply go to Laos to change my visa to tourist then apply the retirement there.

Not sure if my case is applicable here but give it because I originally had a Non-B, from the Thai Embassy in London, when I came to stay in 1995. This visa states that it is good for one journey and also states 'no extension of stay', which I cam e to understand was referring to tourists only. I married a Thai nurse in 1994 and took early retirement from my job. I was told by immigration in Thailand (Nongkhai at that time) to wait until the Visa was close to expire then apply for extension but this extension was based on marriage. I continually renewed the extension each year but in 2011 immigration told me (Udon/Udorn Thani) I could change to 'retirement' as my funds were adequate and that's what I did. I am still on the same system. I have never change the Visa status.

Based on this I think the best idea would be to get advice from the immigration office you intend to use assuming that you have decided where to live. I hope this helps.

• Like 2

No you can not simply switch visa types, if you can cancel your non b and enter Thailand as a tourist you can apply for retirement visa in country at local immigration office, you need full 15 days remaining on tourist visa though. And make sure you have all documentation in advance as if you have lots of running around to do it may become a problem

I am not sure that I want an O-A. I want an extension of stay based on retirement. Looking at previous posts It looks like I may not be able to convert my non Imm B. Reading the info at the Royal Thai embassy it looks like I need a non Imm O-A or is their another way of doing this?

An O-A visa would give you one year with multiple entries and you could get an additional year of permission to stay by exiting Thailand and returning just before the visa expires. During the second year you would need a re-entry permit to travel in and out of the country. Before that permission to stay expires, you could then apply at immigrations for an annual extension of stay based on retirement. If you are legally resident in Singapore, that would be a possibility or you would need to apply in your home country.

The other way to go would be to obtain a non-imm O (not O-A) based on the premise that you would be applying for an extension of stay based on retirement 30 days or so before your non-imm O entry ended.

You might be able to get a conversion of your present visa status in Bangkok from the non-imm B to a non-imm O entry and then apply for the extension during the last 30 days of that entry, but it's not certain whether immigrations will permit you to do that.

You could just apply for a non-imm O at a Thai embassy or consulate and proceed as above near the end of your 90 day entry. You would, among other things, need proof of money in a Thai bank for two months before the application for the extension and/or proof from your embassy of income.

The O-A is not essential to get a retirement extension and some people feel the application process is a hassle, but it would allow you almost 2 years in Thailand without the need to show income and/or money in a Thai bank.

Just to clarify the terms that some people do confuse, a non-imm O or O-A Visa would be issued by an embassy or consulate. A conversion to a non-imm O entry (if permitted) would be done at immigrations in Bangkok. Extensions of stay based on retirement would be applied for at the immigrations office that serves your Thai residential area.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Worth checking with the individual office you're going to apply to.

My understanding is that the extension of stay can be a different reason to that for which you originally entered on a visa. As long as the original visa is a non-immigrant visa. One is a visa allowing you to enter the country. The other is an extension allowing you to say.

When completing forms at immigration you can usually tick or box which says "non-immigrant" or write "non-immigrant" (depending on the form). Key point being it doesn't usually specify which type of "non-immigrant" when you apply for extension .

I originally entered on a business visa - "non-immig B". Every year now I extend based on marriage. Don't see why a similar change for retirement would be different. But check. BTW I don't think you can do this though if your original visa was a tourist visa. I think you need to exit Thailand and get a vaild non-imm visa

They do usually want to see a copy of the original page in my passport for the original visa. That gets a bit daft as you change passports. I now have a stamp in my new passport which has details of my original visa stamp in there and among the details just says "non-immig" and doesn't say which type. They accept that and I no longer bring my old passport.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

I had a one year B non-imm and went to get a retirement extension at CW in Bangkok in January 2015. I was halfway through the process when the immigration officer examined the visa & realised it was a 'B' she spoke to a colleague and then said it was not possible. I asked whether the visa type could be changed at CW and then receive the extension & she said it could not and I would have to leave Thailand to get either an 'O' or a visa category that could eventually be changed into an 'O'. So I did a trip to Vientiane and got a single entry 'O' which I then easily converted at CW.

Edited by Harry2

Received the extension of stay on a Non Immigrant B Visa 2013 in HDY. No problems, no questions ask. Just had to show the regular paperwork

Received the extension of stay on a Non Immigrant B Visa 2013 in HDY. No problems, no questions ask. Just had to show the regular paperwork

With a canceled workpermit?

With a canceled workpermit?

I never ever had a work-permit.

I do not know about Jomptiene but many immigration offices will not process an extension of stay based on retirement from a "B" visa.

You may have to obtain a single entry "O" visa from a nearby country before applying for an extension.

If that is required you can get your "O" visa at immigration. Go to immigration and fill out a "change of visa" form.

I do not know about Jomptiene but many immigration offices will not process an extension of stay based on retirement from a "B" visa.

You may have to obtain a single entry "O" visa from a nearby country before applying for an extension.

If that is required you can get your "O" visa at immigration. Go to immigration and fill out a "change of visa" form.

Only available to those with "visa exempt"or tourist visas !

It is not possible to change "visa class " from "B" to "O" .