How on Earth do I paint my own condo? complete painting Newb.

condo bought

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First clean the areas to be painted. Use a mild detergent diluted with water, or ideally 'Sugar Soap' which is also a degreaser.

Using a large sponge will enable you to clean large areas quickly.

Cracks should be sanded and filled, then re-sanded when the filler is dry

Mats for preparation.

Sugar Soap / Large sponge / 2" Filler Knife / 120 or 150 grade sandpaper / TOA Acrylic Filler (0.437 Litre Tub).

Blue (low tack) masking tape can be left for days before removing.

Paint is a personal choice, but personally I have found Dulux Easy Care Plus to be a decent quality, available in 9 Ltr tubs.

Matt White for Ceilings, Silk for Walls.

Mats for painting.

Dulux Matt White (Bar Code 850181 043714) 2,660 Bht 9 Ltr Tub.

Dulux Silk (Bar Code 850181 042991) 2,775 Bht 9 Ltr Tub.

1 1/2 - 2" Brush for cutting in.

Paint trays and fine rollers.

Tip: Wrap and seal the rollers in a plastic bag overnight for use the following day.

Depending on the existing colour of the walls, two coats should be sufficient.

Steps should be of a sufficient height to stand on and reach the ceiling, also a flat top wide enough to take a paint tray.

You can purchase the blue sheeting (off the roll) very cheaply and ideal for covering furniture and the floor.

All the above materials are available at Home Pro.

January is the best time to decorate in Thailand when the humidity is low.

High humidity leaves the paint tacky under the surface and takes a few days to thoroughly dry.

Edited by Faz

Where does one get this sugar soap?

Places like Homepro? And does it actually have a proper name and Sugar-Soap is just what it's known as? biggrin.png

Sugar Soap is the professionals choice for cleaning in preparation to painting.

It's a degreaser as well as cleaner.

Dilute as instructed in a bucket, then use a large sponge (such as for cleaning a car) to clean the areas first.

post-209671-0-54856600-1449190912_thumb.

I just painted my entire house in England with the tgf's 'help' I had previously had the floors sanded so I bought a 5 x 5 metre sheet and it was just as well as she spilt about a litre of paint onto it!. It was like a dust sheet but with a plastic layer so it couldn't go through.

Spend a lot of time on prep and you'll be right.

Jailed. Deported. Work is described by immigration law as "The exertion of energy, or use of knowledge, whether for compensation or not." Good luck. Maybe you can somehow "will" the paint onto the wall, and not go to prison.

Recently participated in cleaning up a park as a volunteer picking up trash in Chisinau Moldova. Thought it would be cool to do here on our soi. Then I realized I can go to prison. So I went to the bar instead.

Why do some people love to be all know it alls on work permits?

According to your theory...cant have sex cant go cycling cant play footy cant flush your toilet.

Get real...do you think immig are going to clamp down on every one with a house who likes to spend time gardening and doing diy like everyone on this forum.

I agree, to each their own but it seems people are even scare to look into the mirror, just going overboard. I've got a house and apartment but unless I can't do it myself or feel it be more benefit to me to let someone else do it like replacing a toilet I do it myself. By doing it myself it is done right the first time. My family and renters seem find with it since they benefit from all the results.

I have 2 large dogs, like all Thai dogs in Thai communities they shit everywhere and so does my neighbors dogs. I'm a good neighbor end up picking up their dog shit too, and no one has ever ask me " do you have a work permit ".

I had to look up "sugar soap" actually there is not one such thing. Its just soap, whatever a company puts in it and calls it as their own brand name. And its a "British Thing" thats why a "yank" like me has never heard of it. Look it up on Wikipedia its a comical post. [emoji3]

Painting, lord knows after being in the military for 23 years I did my share of painting.

The only areas you should clean are areas where cooking went on or areas of grease/chemicals. In a condo there "might" be one and thats kitchen.

If you clean and dont get the chemicals off the walls you will have a big mess, worse than when you started. If you clean and dont let the surface areas dry properly, in the same boat.

It aint rocket science as far as painting goes. Its not like he's painting in an industrial or outside dirty area its the inside of a condo for pete's sake. Take an old tshirt and do a dry wipe down of the cobwebs or surface dust/dirt and just paint. Of course mask first and cover areas.

Good luck!

Where does one get this sugar soap?

Places like Homepro? And does it actually have a proper name and Sugar-Soap is just what it's known as? biggrin.png

Haven't looked for it myself; however, any place which stocks paint ( Homepro, Thai Watsadu etc.) should also stock sugar soap.

Sugar soap is the generic name, although various manufacturers may have their own brand name. No idea what the Thais call it.smile.png

Lol sugar soap thats a new one on me also.

Blue masking (painters) tape is what you want.

Dont worry about paint "soaking in" as its already painted.

Dont worry about cleaning, just go to town. Typical surfaces do not need washing down. You are asking for trouble putting soap or other chemicals on the walls prior to painting.

Get your work permit in order for the TV lawyers to approve before you start. (Wink)

Measure your room sizes to get how much paint. Google is your friend for this.

You're offering advice on painting, and you don't know what sugar soap is?cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Your advice is wrong. Without cleaning, the paint will either be beading and forming fisheyes due to surface tension differences, or falling off the walls within six months due to lack of adhesion.bah.gif

My advice is mine, yours is yours. My life experiences has shown me for it to work. Both are different, both work,

Sugar soap is a culture thing,

Dont be so quick to judge about people are things you know NOTHING about....

I had to look up "sugar soap" actually there is not one such thing. Its just soap, whatever a company puts in it and calls it as their own brand name. And its a "British Thing" thats why a "yank" like me has never heard of it. Look it up on Wikipedia its a comical post. [emoji3]

Painting, lord knows after being in the military for 23 years I did my share of painting.

The only areas you should clean are areas where cooking went on or areas of grease/chemicals. In a condo there "might" be one and thats kitchen.

If you clean and dont get the chemicals off the walls you will have a big mess, worse than when you started. If you clean and dont let the surface areas dry properly, in the same boat.

It aint rocket science as far as painting goes. Its not like he's painting in an industrial or outside dirty area its the inside of a condo for pete's sake. Take an old tshirt and do a dry wipe down of the cobwebs or surface dust/dirt and just paint. Of course mask first and cover areas.

Good luck

Painting in the military follows the philosophy of more is better; it's the taxpayer's money being used anyway. So slap it on, don't worry if it doesn't look good because some other guy will be repainting in a year's time.

One point we do agree on is getting the chemicals rinsed off, read my first post again.

In a new condo, again I'd probably agree with you. A condo that has been lived in previously ( especially by a smoker ) will have a film of residue on the walls and ceiling which will screw up a paint job if it's not removed.

No, It's not rocket science. However, perhaps the OP would like to do the job properly, and not half-assed.facepalm.gif

Good luck

Painting in the military follows the philosophy of more is better; it's the taxpayer's money being used anyway. So slap it on, don't worry if it doesn't look good because some other guy will be repainting in a year's time.

One point we do agree on is getting the chemicals rinsed off, read my first post again.

In a new condo, again I'd probably agree with you. A condo that has been lived in previously ( especially by a smoker ) will have a film of residue on the walls and ceiling which will screw up a paint job if it's not removed.

No, It's not rocket science. However, perhaps the OP would like to do the job properly, and not half-assed.facepalm.gif

Again ignoring your "half-assed" typical judgmental TV comments....

Every circumstance is different and procedures need to be tailored to the task at hand.

I offered my pointers based on my experience yours on yours. Quit with the name calling and chest pounding, it isnt helping the OP learn to paint or complete HIS task of painting the condo.

Good luck

Sorry but I'm 100% with bazza on this issue of cleaning walls etc prior to painting.

Sugar soap is a cleaning material of variable composition sold for use on surfaces affected by greasy or tarry deposits which are not easily removed with routine domestic cleaning materials. When in dry powder form it looks like table sugar thus causing the name.

It removes dirt, grease and nicotine stains for a clean wall. Washable and is suitable for all surfaces.

Yes you can find it in Home Pro usually with the other cleaning materials.

I find it cleans my work surfaces in the kitchen better than any of the other cleaners available here and keep a spray bottle handy for a multitude of cleaning tasks.

Just because you never heard of it in the USA doesn't mean it's not available in the rest of the world by the common Brand name.

Good luck

Sorry but I'm 100% with bazza on this issue of cleaning walls etc prior to painting.

Sugar soap is a cleaning material of variable composition sold for use on surfaces affected by greasy or tarry deposits which are not easily removed with routine domestic cleaning materials. When in dry powder form it looks like table sugar thus causing the name.

It removes dirt, grease and nicotine stains for a clean wall. Washable and is suitable for all surfaces.

I find it cleans my work surfaces in the kitchen better than any of the other cleaners available here and keep a spray bottle handy for a multitude of cleaning tasks.

Just because you never heard of it in the USA doesn't mean it's not available in the rest of the world by the common Brand name.

Thanks for that tidbit of information....

I would be interested if a person could walk into the local tesco or big c ask a stocker for help looking for sugar soap and them find it. Also, are the words sugar soap found on any cleaning product on any shelf in Thailand? I doubt it so to send the OP on a wild goose chase to the local store for sugar soap is not the best thing to do. Would have been better to explain a diluted mild soap and water solution right?

Good luck

Again ignoring your "half-assed" typical judgmental TV comments....

Every circumstance is different and procedures need to be tailored to the task at hand.

I offered my pointers based on my experience yours on yours. Quit with the name calling and chest pounding, it isnt helping the OP learn to paint or complete HIS task of painting the condo.

Excuse me if I don't bow down to your experience.

My practical experience is renovating 5 houses in my lifetime, including painting inside and out to a standard judged as very good by professional painters.

My other experience consists of being a research scientist in the steel industry. I was involved in finding causes and rectifying problems related to paint, hot dip metal coating, electrogalvanising, enamelling, etc. in the auto industry, whitegoods, electrical transformers, poker machines... you name it, I've probably been there sometime helping a customer understand what went wrong. My last big project before I retired was successfully developing a model of the variables influencing paint adhesion on metal-coated product in T-bend mode.

It's my experience, developed over 20 years as a researcher, that 90% of paint failures are caused by inadequate surface preparation.

Call it chest-pounding if you like, I don't care about your opinion. However, I would suggest sometimes everyone has to accept another individual may have a superior knowledge of the subject under discussion.

Could you guys be overthinking such a simple project?

Bottom line its painting the inside of a condo. Its not engineer or research scientist work, its simple labor.

Your experience is yours mine is mine, neither is "superior" to the other.

Help the OP, quit beating your chests about your "superior" experiences.

PM me OP if you need any help. Id be glad to help you out with anything I could. Sorry Im not in your neck of the woods and not here any longer otherwise, Id get down and dirty in painting with you. Im back to work Sat and leaving the country. If you like, Id be happy to find a couple youtube videos to get you started in the right direction. Good luck

Thanks for that tidbit of information....

I would be interested if a person could walk into the local tesco or big c ask a stocker for help looking for sugar soap and them find it. Also, are the words sugar soap found on any cleaning product on any shelf in Thailand? I doubt it so to send the OP on a wild goose chase to the local store for sugar soap is not the best thing to do. Would have been better to explain a diluted mild soap and water solution right?

Shame you didn't actually read my post in your haste to reply.

And No! A mild soap and water solution will not remove grease and stains that could affect adhesion of the paint.

Sugar Soap is a specially formulated solution containing granules which act as a mild abrasive. It is especially effective at cleaning walls and surfaces in preparation to painting.

It was however stated earlier that it is the 'professionals' choice for decorating. smile.png

Like bazza, I have renovated several houses in my time. I've also worked alongside many 'professional' painters.

I used to wipe even newly plastered walls with Sugar Soap to remove the dust before sealing and painting.

The preparation takes time but the trouble free application and paint finish is worth it.

Nothing worse than blistering or peeling paint that has to be sanded and primed again just because the area wasn't first thoroughly cleaned.

Oh yeah wear a hat when you paint the ceiling. [emoji3]Important, the rollers you buy are for smooth surfaces and not rough. Blue 3m masking tape, some blue tarps and dont forget the roller pan. Like you said beer and jams and enjoy. When you are finished you can look at the walls everyday and get the satisfaction that you did it yourself. Good luck and make it a fun project!

Oh yeah wear a hat when you paint the ceiling. [emoji3]Important, the rollers you buy are for smooth surfaces and not rough. Blue 3m masking tape, some blue tarps and dont forget the roller pan. Like you said beer and jams and enjoy. When you are finished you can look at the walls everyday and get the satisfaction that you did it yourself. Good luck and make it a fun project!

You can buy different rollers for smooth or rough surfaces. Available in Thailand......maybe not in the US Army.

Most solid ceilings in Thailand are boarded and plastered, so are smooth

<removed>

You never mentioned the Army? Isn't the military, Army as apposed to Air Force or Navy?

Important, the rollers you buy are for smooth surfaces and not rough.

That implied only rollers for smooth surfaces can be purchased in Thailand.

I pointed out rollers for both smooth and rough surfaces are available.

Whilst you might have done your fair share of painting in the Military of barracks rooms etc, decorating in Thailand is a different matter, mainly because of the finishes to walls and ceilings and the heat and humidity.

Ceiling are usually plastered and smooth so a fine hair roller is best.

Walls are usually rendered, not so smooth and a medium hair roller is more suitable.

If you don't prepare well and remove all dirt and grease, when you apply the second coat it will lift the first coat where it hasn't adhered.

I also allow 3 days in-between coats in Thailand because of the humidity which affects drying time.

The OP is free to take advice from whoever he wants, but your advise is from a DIY prospective and only you have to clean your own mess up.

From a professional point of view Bazza40 has given excellent professional advice to avoid the OP making a mess in the first place.

Several bickering posts removed.

post-109645-0-21875700-1449237655_thumb.

Please do not make personal remarks.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Faz

Wow

My paint I bought from my local Hardware Store is called 'Bold Eagle' tub is 17.5 ltr cost 500 baht, Anti fugle, anti mould and 4 other Anti things, very nice paint.. cost is just 500 baht in any colour.. the other paint I like is called 'National'

I like to repaint most rooms inside every 2 years.looks fresh and a different colour, 2 spare bedrooms not done for 5 years and looking messy..... must try to tackle the outside only done it once in over 12 years, but older than last time and not so steady on ladders any more.

No way would I pay near 3,000 baht for only 9 ltr !!

Tip, but takes longer buy the small roller no mess, no drops, easy to wash, also easy as it will get into difficult places, handles come in different lengths + easy to pull the roller off and add it to a longer handle..

First clean the areas to be painted. Use a mild detergent diluted with water, or ideally 'Sugar Soap' which is also a degreaser.

Using a large sponge will enable you to clean large areas quickly.

Cracks should be sanded and filled, then re-sanded when the filler is dry

Mats for preparation.

Sugar Soap / Large sponge / 2" Filler Knife / 120 or 150 grade sandpaper / TOA Acrylic Filler (0.437 Litre Tub).

Blue (low tack) masking tape can be left for days before removing.

Paint is a personal choice, but personally I have found Dulux Easy Care Plus to be a decent quality, available in 9 Ltr tubs.

Matt White for Ceilings, Silk for Walls.

Mats for painting.

1 1/2 - 2" Brush for cutting in.

Paint trays and fine rollers.

Tip: Wrap and seal the rollers in a plastic bag overnight for use the following day.

Depending on the existing colour of the walls, two coats should be sufficient.

Steps should be of a sufficient height to stand on and reach the ceiling, also a flat top wide enough to take a paint tray.

You can purchase the blue sheeting (off the roll) very cheaply and ideal for covering furniture and the floor.

All the above materials are available at Home Pro.

January is the best time to decorate in Thailand when the humidity is low.

High humidity leaves the paint tacky under the surface and takes a few days to thoroughly dry.

There's a 'ceiling' paint (especially for ceilings) also which is a matt 'off white'.

For "sugar soap" substitute use 1/2 cup regular white vinegar and 1/4 cup of sodium bicarbonate (both available everywhere cheap) in a gallon (about 4L) of [warm] water. Works chemically about the same, but does not have the "abrasive agents" of "sugar soap". For grease or cigarette tar removal you can add 1/2 to 1 cup of ammonia, but then you should wipe the walls with clean warm water afterwards.

For "sugar soap" substitute use 1/2 cup regular white vinegar and 1/4 cup of sodium bicarbonate (both available everywhere cheap) in a gallon (about 4L) of [warm] water. Works chemically about the same, but does not have the "abrasive agents" of "sugar soap". For grease or cigarette tar removal you can add 1/2 to 1 cup of ammonia, but then you should wipe the walls with clean warm water afterwards.

White vinegar is 20% acetic acid. Sodium bicarbonate will react with acetic acid to form sodium acetate, which has no cleaning properties.

Similarly, if you add ammonia to acetic acid, it will form ammonium acetate, again with no cleaning properties.

Vinegar is acidic, so any basic compounds in residues will be attacked by it. Conversely, ammonia is alkaline, and attacks any acidic residues, or oils by saponification of the fatty acids therein. For maximum cleaning effect, the vinegar would be applied first, rinsed off with clean water, then ammonia is applied, and again rinsed off.

I'd suggest it would be simpler to head to a paint store where there are bound to be a number of single application products available.

White vinegar is 20% acetic acid. Sodium bicarbonate will react with acetic acid to form sodium acetate, which has no cleaning properties.

Similarly, if you add ammonia to acetic acid, it will form ammonium acetate, again with no cleaning properties.

Vinegar is acidic, so any basic compounds in residues will be attacked by it. Conversely, ammonia is alkaline, and attacks any acidic residues, or oils by saponification of the fatty acids therein. For maximum cleaning effect, the vinegar would be applied first, rinsed off with clean water, then ammonia is applied, and again rinsed off.

I'd suggest it would be simpler to head to a paint store where there are bound to be a number of single application products available.

Thanks for the correction. It's been a while (30 years), and you're right, it is done in stages. I remembered what we used to use, googled the quantities, and forgot about the method. My bad.

Thanks for the correction. It's been a while (30 years), and you're right, it is done in stages. I remembered what we used to use, googled the quantities, and forgot about the method. My bad.

You're on the wrong forum.

Posters here don't do admittance of fault, then issue apologies for such.

You're on the wrong forum.

Posters here don't do admittance of fault, then issue apologies for such.

People who are honest with themselves do.

I ended up buying 7.5 gallons of this stuff at Homepro.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The sales staff knew nothing of what 'emulsion' was, even when shown it written on tins of paint.

All they could say that was the cheaper 500b paint would need to be redone after a year or two, and this stuff would be okay for 7 years.

1000b a tub.

All in all 3,750 baht, and still need to get a ladder, 6 footer for 1,400 baht.

Might need one more tub of paint, will see once I get in to it.

They also knew nothing of sugar soap, I showed them a photo on my phone a bottle, and had no such cleaner for cleaning walls before painting (talked with in Thai).

I must confess I haven't been able to find sugar soap either at Homepro or Thai Watsadu. It's a simple enough material - sodium carbonate,which is quite alkaline. I guess a chemical supply house has it either as sodium carbonate or soda ash. Normally a crystalline solid.

A longer lasting acrylic is better; however, longevity will also depend on surface preparation.

Let the insults flow my way - I can give as good as I get.coffee1.gif