how to get the real right glasses

h90

Got glasses from a good shop after 10 years not using any glasses. They feel OK.

I than found old glasses from very long ago 15-20 years from Europe. Cheapest glass, John Lennon style, nickel (I am not allergic as it seems) lol

Wearing them I see better than with the new one, specially I see equal good no matter if near or far. I have the felling on the other glasses the shop has "overcorrected".

Question:

Can the eyes somehow measured or is it still the old "is it better or worse" game?

Where to find a shop which really knows what the do?

Can be old glasses measured.....I mean if I go to the shop can the measure the values of the old one, so I can compare with what they want to sell me?

Yes, every optician has one. It tells the, what prescription your old glasses were set at.

Thanks....will try at some expensive place first.

Prescription cheesy.gif I think I was somewhen between 1985-1989 the last time at a doc for eyes and that to pull out some steel chips because I didn't wear safety glasses tongue.png

I believe in avoiding Doctors (no insult meant to docs I highly regard some and some on the forum and great Sheryl helped me a lot)

Using old glasses, or the cheap ones with set grades, will affect the vision in long term.... You have a better 2 choices.

I am a Cheap Charlie. I buy the frames on a market or street stand, where I will get only the ones fitted for prescription glasses, for about 200THB.

On a small optical store in every Big C, a pair of prescription glasses to set on those frames, will cost no more than 600THB including eyes examination and prescription.

Total cost 800 THB. The exactly "fashion" or "brand name" pair, also made in China, in any Thai famous optical chain store, will cost about 10.000THB.

Your choice.

Edited by BKResort

Using old glasses, or the cheap ones with set grades, will affect the vision in long term.... You have a better 2 choices.

I am a Cheap Charlie. I buy the frames on a market or street stand, where I will get only the ones fitted for prescription glasses, for about 200THB.

On a small optical store in every Big C, a pair of prescription glasses to set on those frames, will cost no more than 600THB including eyes examination and prescription.

Total cost 800 THB. The exactly "fashion" or "brand name" pair, also made in China, in any Thai famous optical chain store, will cost about 10.000THB.

Your choice.

The glasses were correct one in the many years ago. I can't see that my eyes transformed into something different. Only it might got worse. So I can't see how old glasses be a problem.

But of course the cheap one are.

Problem is not the money, problem is that the measurments in the shop might not be exact because they don't have much skills....And BigC shop isn't exactly one I would trust.

Hope you have not been driving too much h90.

Not near Kindergarten.....but when they are 8 years old they are big enough....Than I can see them even at 100 km/h...or at least most of the time.

I was quoted 24,000 for frames/varifocal lenses at a Thai opticians. I waited till I went back to UK & got the same for 14,000 at Boots Opticians (including retina scan/medical checks.)

The glasses I got (not varifocal) were something like 8000 Baht. Which I got told is a lot for Thailand. Some people use glasses for 50 Baht cool.png from China...

Those 50 baht are reading glasses and are fine if that is all you need. (magnification of image without having to hold a hand unit). I am using low Diopter pair for reading computer and much better than expensive varifocal type for such use when you do not have close vision.

Those 50 baht are reading glasses and are fine if that is all you need. (magnification of image without having to hold a hand unit). I am using low Diopter pair for reading computer and much better than expensive varifocal type for such use when you do not have close vision.

I am low on Dioptrin (spelling??) but the lenses are not very spherical.

So they are for sure not for me....

I find the cheap lens much better for side vision than using progressive - I can move head side to side without loss of clear vision - much better for viewing video and general use - save the stronger progressive for reading fine print and shopping - most of time prefer to not use glasses now that far vision is in normal range.

But if you mean your eye lens needs adjustment that is another matter and would indeed require special glasses lens.

I ordered a new set of lenses for my TV glasses today. I used to be able to read the text on the TV screen without any glasses but my eyes have changed. I like the people at Eye Lab in Central Chidlom. They measured the strength of my present progressive bifocals and the strength of my TV glasses, then did an eye exam. At the end, thjey made up a pair of glasses by assembling various lenses and allowed me to wear them and walk around the shop looking at various objects at various distances. I was satisfied that the prescription was good so I paid 2,000 for the lenses which will be ready tomorrow. I like the technicians at Eye Lab much more than I did the technician at Big C.

I ordered a new set of lenses for my TV glasses today. I used to be able to read the text on the TV screen without any glasses but my eyes have changed. I like the people at Eye Lab in Central Chidlom. They measured the strength of my present progressive bifocals and the strength of my TV glasses, then did an eye exam. At the end, thjey made up a pair of glasses by assembling various lenses and allowed me to wear them and walk around the shop looking at various objects at various distances. I was satisfied that the prescription was good so I paid 2,000 for the lenses which will be ready tomorrow. I like the technicians at Eye Lab much more than I did the technician at Big C.

thanks that sound like the place to go.....

I was quoted 24,000 for frames/varifocal lenses at a Thai opticians. I waited till I went back to UK & got the same for 14,000 at Boots Opticians (including retina scan/medical checks.)

Yes, I always get my eye-tests done in the UK. A 100% professional job that costs less than here.

Armed with my UK prescription I then get new lenses made cheaply here for my old frames (450B for non-progressive lenses, or 900B with some sort of coating that doesnt seem to do anything).

I picked up my TV glasses today and they are quite sharp. The prescription is accurate and I can once again read the small text on the screen clearly. I asked about getting new lenses for my Transitions (turn dark outside) progressive bifocals. Their quote of 54,000 baht for the lenses took my breath away. I'll go back in a few days and see what price I can get. I can always send the frames to my optician in California and have new lenses put in for $600 so I might be willing to pay 21,000 here. Even that seems expensive to me!

I picked up my TV glasses today and they are quite sharp. The prescription is accurate and I can once again read the small text on the screen clearly. I asked about getting new lenses for my Transitions (turn dark outside) progressive bifocals. Their quote of 54,000 baht for the lenses took my breath away. I'll go back in a few days and see what price I can get. I can always send the frames to my optician in California and have new lenses put in for $600 so I might be willing to pay 21,000 here. Even that seems expensive to me!

Just for information: if your optician sends you the glasses $600 declared per FedEx, UPS, DHL, you may pay a lot duty.

If he sends it per regular post without invoice (or sends them a friend in US and he sends per post) you pay nothing.

Thanks. I'll see if I can get Eye Lab to agree to 21,000 for the lenses. I thought that I had a deal today but at the last minute, another lady (perhaps the owner) came in and said that because my frames have no bottom rim, it would be 26,000 because they have to use a better quality of lenses. The overcharging here is shocking. I'll bet that they don't charge Thai customers the same prices. I'm going to hang tough for 21,000! Even that is probably too much. The owner lady admiitted that the lenses would be about $600 in America. If any poster know of a better deal in Bangkok, please let me know. I won't consider using Top Charoen.