Q: First retirement extension equal 90d report?

Maybe question has been asked before, so appology for that and thanks for your patience and giving me an answer / pointing me in the right direction.

Just received my first retirement extention and counting the days since my entry, I will soon be in the country for 90 consecutive days. So I was going to do the 90d report, but now I see on the Thai immigration website http://www.immigration.go.th/ "The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days."

Am I now correct to think that I need to do my first 90d report starting from the day I received my retirement extension stamp? I also see the fine print on the stamp that says "Notification of residence must be made every 90 days"

Just want to be on the safe side and thank you all in advance

• The application for an extension of stay was considered your first 90 day report, so no report required now.

Your next report is 90 days from the date you applied for the extension. The IO should have given you a report slip or TM47 form advising the report date.

• Like 1

What if one has already made 6 or 7 reports, since he came on a one year from his home Embassy? I've got a 90 due, 2 weeks before my extension is due.

90 day reporting an extensions are completely separate. But you could do the report and extension on the same day as you can apply for the extension of stay 30/45 days early. Even if you apply early the extension will still start from the end of your current stay so nothing is lost. Basically you can apply for the extension two weeks early and save a trip to immigration.

Thanks all. To elviajero: have NOT received either of the two doc you mentioned

Double check your passport as they might have stapled a report slip somewhere inside.

Otherwise let us know the date you applied for the extension and someone will tell you the report date, or you can work it out yourself, but note that the day you applied for the extension counts as day 1.

What if one has already made 6 or 7 reports, since he came on a one year from his home Embassy? I've got a 90 due, 2 weeks before my extension is due.

90 day reporting an extensions are completely separate. But you could do the report and extension on the same day as you can apply for the extension of stay 30/45 days early. Even if you apply early the extension will still start from the end of your current stay so nothing is lost. Basically you can apply for the extension two weeks early and save a trip to immigration.

But it sound like I would need the 90 day report form, and a second set of copies, correct?

If you have not left the country, the due date of your fourth ninety-day report should come within five days of your extension of stay and immigration considers completing the first extension of stay to be equivalent to doing a ninety-day report. If the due date of your ninety-day report does not coincide within 7 days prior to or within fifteen days after the date that you do your extension, you must report your presence in the kingdom for ninety days separately. Personally, I always report by mail. Saves a trip.

• Like 1

If you have not left the country, the due date of your fourth ninety-day report should come within five days of your extension of stay and immigration considers completing the first extension of stay to be equivalent to doing a ninety-day report. If the due date of your ninety-day report does not coincide within 7 days prior to or within fifteen days after the date that you do your extension, you must report your presence in the kingdom for ninety days separately. Personally, I always report by mail. Saves a trip.

90 is due 17 days before extension. So it sounds like I just do my extension before the 90 is due and I won't need to file the papers...correct? Otherwise, I will do 90 by mail first, and that is easier than even already being at Immigration.

but you stated "the date that you do your extension"...which is different than the due date....mail is easier, but I could easily do the extension in the 15 day before window....but my question would be does that require the form and copies?

Sorry. I meant to say that you could just do the extension, if it is your first one, without needing to do the ninety-day report if the date that you do the extension falls into the period of no later then fifteen days after the ninety-day report is due. Considering the idiosyncracies of some immigration officers, it might be safer to mail in the report just to obviate any possible problems.

• Like 1

It's easy to get out of sync, too. Since they seem to date it 90 days from when they receive it, and technically mail is suppose to be 15 days before, but people have been successful at pushing that envelope...and you can't find out if electronic will work until within 15 days, so technically, it is already too late to mail.

Edited by bangmai

But it sound like I would need the 90 day report form, and a second set of copies, correct?

You need to do a 90 day report regardless of when you do the extension. They are two completely separate requirements.

If you want to do them on the same day you can by doing your extension application a couple of weeks early. But on that day you need to complete a TM47 form for the 90 day report and a separate TM7 form for the extension of stay.

90 day reports can be within 15 days before and 7 days after the due date.

bangmai doesn't have to report separately as the extension can be done 30 days early (45 days at some offices).

Edited by elviajero

90 day reports can be within 15 days before and 7 days after the due date.

bangmai doesn't have to report separately as the extension can be done 30 days early (45 days at some offices).

Word of caution.. 7 days AFTER only applies to people showing up personally in the immigration office. For people doing it online, it must be done 15 to 7 days BEFORE the due date of notification, according to the instructions on the immigration online website.

Thanks all. To elviajero: have NOT received either of the two doc you mentioned

Double check your passport as they might have stapled a report slip somewhere inside.

Otherwise let us know the date you applied for the extension and someone will tell you the report date, or you can work it out yourself, but note that the day you applied for the extension counts as day 1.

They are not Docs it's a slip and should be in your passport

Example

thailand-90-day-reporting.jpg

When did you do your extension, then we can tell you when approx you have to do your 90 days Report

Nope, definitely no such paper anywhere in my passport. The only thing they fixed into my passport was the receipt for the 1'900 Baht, but no such reporting notification. Maybe they do not do that anymore here in Jomtien, since they made me sign a paper about the 90d reporting necessity... as well as a document outlining the punishments for overstay...

My last entry stamp / TM6 for Thailand is 17 September, which would bring my 90d to 15 December, so from a purely entry date point of view, I would need to report within the next few days.

My extension of stay for retirement has the date stamp of 2 December (apply date) and I picked it up yesterday (3 December). IF however this first ever extension of stay is equal to my first 90d report, then it is irrelevant as I am anyway going to Switzerland for Christmas holiday with my mother, but I will leave after 15 December (yes, I have the re-entry permit already)

So my actual stay is longer than 90d in a row, but again, if the first retirement extension is equal to the 90d report, then I am safe.

Will probably drive down to immigration to ask about... lucky for me, it is only 10 (bike) to 30 (car) minutes drive from my place.

Yes the first extension counts as 90 day report so you don't have to do your 90 day on Dec 15th

As you go to the "Schweiz" and come back in (for example) January the day that you get stamped back in counts as Day 1 so count 89 days from there and you have your (next) 90 day report.

For example: Come Back January 10th + 89 days = Friday 08 April 2016

• Like 1

Ok, here my update:

Went to Jomtien immigration and was told in clear terms and good English: "No, your retirement extension does NOT count as your first 90d report and since you do not have a "receipt of notification" on your passport, you did NOT do a 90d report, but you have to do now". So...

• either rules changed (general or in Jomtien) and they do not do 90d reports anymore together with the first extension
  • or I was outside the window of -15 to +7 days when I made my extension (actually I made my extension 17 days prior to reaching 90d in the country)
  • or the person who did my retirement extension just forgot to do my first 90d report also.
  • or I should have had the TM47 with me when I did the extension...

Whatever... tried online and failed with error message to contact the immigration office... so I filled the form TM47, took my next set of copies of passport, went to Jomtien at 11:30, 5 minutes in queue, 5 minutes to get everything into the computer and print my "receipt of notification" and out I was... plus 2 times 15 minutes bike drive...

Ok, here my update:

Went to Jomtien immigration and was told in clear terms and good English: "No, your retirement extension does NOT count as your first 90d report and since you do not have a "receipt of notification" on your passport, you did NOT do a 90d report, but you have to do now". So...

• either rules changed (general or in Jomtien) and they do not do 90d reports anymore together with the first extension
  • or I was outside the window of -15 to +7 days when I made my extension (actually I made my extension 17 days prior to reaching 90d in the country)
  • or the person who did my retirement extension just forgot to do my first 90d report also.
Whatever... tried online and failed with error message to contact the immigration office... so I filled the form TM47, took my next set of copies of passport, went to Jomtien at 11:30, 5 minutes in queue, 5 minutes to get everything into the computer and print my "receipt of notification" and out I was... plus 2 times 15 minutes bike drive...
  • The IO that did your extension simply forgot to give you a report date.
  • The IO that told you that the first extension does not count as your first 90 day report is wrong.
  • Your report was not missed and is not yet due.
  • Had your report been overdue you would have been fined 2,000 baht today.

Immigration website.

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days

Procedure and notification

• The foreigner makes the notification in person, or
  • The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or
  • The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.
  • The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.
  • The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=90days

Ok, here my update:

• The IO that did your extension simply forgot to give you a report date.
  • The IO that told you that the first extension does not count as your first 90 day report is wrong.
  • Your report was not missed and is not yet due.
  • Had your report been overdue you would have been fined 2,000 baht today.
Immigration website.

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days

Procedure and notification

• The foreigner makes the notification in person, or
  • The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or
  • The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.
  • The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.
  • The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.
http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=90days

Possibly true.. but since I did not get a notification slip together with the extension, I had to do it separately now within the grace period, just to be on the safe side.

Again, since I am close to immigration, no big deal for me, but of course such things are worse for people who need to travel more far.

I'm doing my extension on the 22, when my 90 report is due, however, just being a fan of KISS (Keep It Simple....); I mailed the 90 today, 37thb for EMS outbound, and 16thb registered return. If it eases my extension by even 10%, it is well worth it. We'll see if they give me a new date, 90 days from my extension date.

Bangmai: I think that you are smart to do it that way. You should get the receipt for your 90-day report back within two weeks. If anything goes wrong, such as not getting a receipt in the mail, you can always do the 90-report at the same time as your extension. You will probably get a new reporting date ninety days from when your current report was due.