Moscow warns that ISIS in Thailand to attack Russian targets

webfact

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the Russians, along with the Chinese, were Thailand's new best friends. So why did the Russians lay out this little bombshell that is certain to wreak havoc on Thailand's tourism.

Because it's real and they care about their nationals.

Maybe. But the Russians have gone ape shit over ISIS since their plane went down. They see them everywhere. Then, there is the UK, which claims that it is the next target for ISIS. Seems like anywhere, anytime is a better answer.

Jesus H! For those posters in their cozy little LaLaLand bubble, this is all over Western media. CNN have actually seen the memo marked 'urgent', along with many others. The International Business Times are reporting a possible 'beach massacre' http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/isis-terrorists-entered-thailand-target-russians-warns-fsb-leaked-memo-1531802 Ring any bells? huh.png

The whole world is a target to these Muslim loonies, Thailand and all...

Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, Harry Krishna...we are all infidels and a target for this scum, who want to destroy the civilised world.

The world is a dangerous place and wont change anytime soon.

So chill out and carry on as normal.

As someone has already stated, if some <deleted> Muslim extremist wearing a suicide belt wants to take you out, nothing is going to stop them. Not even the ex SAS and Delta Force hiding in the bars of Pattaya cam stop them.

Best post I've read here in a long time. Cheers.

I thought the Russians, along with the Chinese, were Thailand's new best friends. So why did the Russians lay out this little bombshell that is certain to wreak havoc on Thailand's tourism.

Because unlike Thais who would prefer to bury their head in the sand and hope to God nothing happens, Russians might actually care what happens to innocent tourists....

Have to quadruple the defense budget then..... Best buy some Lockheed Martin shares. Hang on Russian weapons company's are bargain basement. Who makes Kalashnikov?

That's basically the AK-47 and AK-74, made in many countries. There are crap ones made in China and mine are very good, made in Belgium.

Cheers.

BANGKOK — Several high-ranking police officers said they only learned about an internal police memo that 10 Islamic State militants may be on the loose in Thailand from the media.

Apparently the memo was not slipped to them by a business owner in an envelope that could confuse with cash.

The night clubs in Pattaya would be an obvious and easy target I will tell you why

The most popular that begins with "I" does NOT have a policy to stop people wearing backpacks coming in, I was so shocked to see it at 2am in the morning, that the next day I emailed the owners

The reply was they do NOT intend to stop letting people in wearing them because they are searched at the door, and airlines let people on planes with packs so why should they

How stupid stupid can you get, i replied yes airlines do, but they go though a xray machine looking for explosives first, not just have a touch flashed in them

The club who's name is "3" numbers, also has the same problem, saw it not so long ago two guys standing at the bar acting very strangely, one had on a massive backpack, so search it you would have had to empty it all out

I left and on the way out spoke to security why you let in, his answer "no problem"

3rd club is the biggest and has a "mixxed" clientele, but many Russians seem to like it , if you go up the escalator, but head to walk to the toilet entrance, then though to the bars, you encounter no door staff. I don't know their backpack policy, but I will email them and ask

Okay, I'm going to mark you down as the first person I've ever run cross that emails nightclub owners with complaints. You must be pretty new to Thailand as you haven't figured out they DGAF.

Let's say you have just 8 guys And they are all willing to do another erawan shine size bomb

If they bonb locations in every tourist hub in the country how many people are going to cross Thailand off their list? I'd say most....

Its not strictly about the number of casualties , terrorism is effective when people are scared of what might or could happen, not only what actually happens

A country that relies on its tourism industry will be harmed to some degree even by these news headlines whether there are anymore attacks or not....

Let's hope they can make examples of these 8 guys ASAP before they can do anymore damage

I agree. Despite digibum's reasoned post, he's quite possibly talking from the perspective of someone who actually lives here. Not at all the same as someone planning their annual holiday. Is it.

And, you would be wrong.

I did live in Thailand for several years, after many years visiting Thailand on holiday, but live back in the US now. And, I do have a plane ticket booked for next week to Thailand so I am exactly the kind of person who may or may not continue to come to Thailand.

If I was really concerned, believe me, I would cancel my flight (it's refundable).

I've lived through past bombings, anti-government protests, yadda, yadda, yadda. That's just in Thailand.

I've lived long-term in five countries on three continents in my life and I've seen terrorism many times before. And every time people start wetting their panties about how it's going to destroy tourism or this or that. And they always recover. Most of the time, stronger than before.

Do you even have any idea how many times Thailand's tourism was supposed to have been destroyed? I can't even count anymore. The coups, the martial law, the political demonstrations, the 2012 Iranian bombings, the Erawan bombing, the Santika nightclub fire, the NYE bombing (pick one), the killing of British tourists (pick one of many incidents), travel restrictions, immigration law changes, etc, etc, etc.

Thailand tourism is like a cockroach. No matter what you throw at it, you can't kill it.

Let's say you have just 8 guys And they are all willing to do another erawan shine size bomb

If they bonb locations in every tourist hub in the country how many people are going to cross Thailand off their list? I'd say most....

Its not strictly about the number of casualties , terrorism is effective when people are scared of what might or could happen, not only what actually happens

A country that relies on its tourism industry will be harmed to some degree even by these news headlines whether there are anymore attacks or not....

Let's hope they can make examples of these 8 guys ASAP before they can do anymore damage

Well, first off, I doubt you would have 8 incidents. More likely 4 with them acting in pairs.

Second, there's the logistical challenges of doing this in a country where you don't speak the language. They would have to get plugged into a sympathetic network already in Thailand. It's not like they can walk into a local market and purchase 500 kgs of fertilizer only speaking Arabic and not set off some red flags.

But most importantly, let's be realistic about the damage.

While the Bali bombings in 2002 resulted in over 50% of the tourism market disappearing, by 2004 more tourists visited Bali than had ever previously.

Bali was against bombed in 2005 and again tourism plummeted but today Bali has about 3x the number of tourist arrivals as they did in 2004.

Did Bali recover? Obviously.

I wasn't trying to make the point that a massive attack would't hurt tourism at all, but it really needs to be put in context. It will hurt tourism in the short-term but people's memories fade quickly.

And, yes, of course, let's hope that they can get these guys before they have a chance to do anything!

Not the same at all. Jemaah Islamiya was SE Asian centric, ISL, is global. Duh.

Do you think a tourist thinking about booking a flight halfway across the world gives a rat's a** whether it's JI or ISIS bombing them?

Have to quadruple the defense budget then..... Best buy some Lockheed Martin shares. Hang on Russian weapons company's are bargain basement. Who makes Kalashnikov?

That's basically the AK-47 and AK-74, made in many countries. There are crap ones made in China and mine are very good, made in Belgium.

Cheers.

A guy at JJ's just sold me an AK-48. Said it was better than the AK-47. Did I just get ripped off?

Because unlike Thais who would prefer to bury their head in the sand and hope to God nothing happens, Russians might actually care what happens to innocent tourists....

I don't think any government cares a monkey's toss about its citizens unless it means votes

Judging by recent topics, I guess some farang in the north of Thailand would have a smile on their faces!!

Why? Two of the men are unaccounted for.

I hope you don't mind if I correct your typing error

Two of the low life scum are unaccounted for.

Well, first off, I doubt you would have 8 incidents. More likely 4 with them acting in pairs.

Second, there's the logistical challenges of doing this in a country where you don't speak the language. They would have to get plugged into a sympathetic network already in Thailand. It's not like they can walk into a local market and purchase 500 kgs of fertilizer only speaking Arabic and not set off some red flags.

But most importantly, let's be realistic about the damage.

While the Bali bombings in 2002 resulted in over 50% of the tourism market disappearing, by 2004 more tourists visited Bali than had ever previously.

Bali was against bombed in 2005 and again tourism plummeted but today Bali has about 3x the number of tourist arrivals as they did in 2004.

Did Bali recover? Obviously.

I wasn't trying to make the point that a massive attack would't hurt tourism at all, but it really needs to be put in context. It will hurt tourism in the short-term but people's memories fade quickly.

And, yes, of course, let's hope that they can get these guys before they have a chance to do anything!

I am shocked and saddened to read comment after comment about the possible loss to tourism if such an evil act was to happen, yet very little about the devastation of possible VICTIMS lives and that of their families, yes you are correct in that tourism would more than likely recover and maybe even get better, unfortunately the possible victims would not have this opportunity of another chance, and once again with Thailand it all seems to be about the money

I don't think any government cares a monkey's toss about its citizens unless it means votes

And tax revenues.

Do you think they might have worked out that if you use the outside lift or escalator you don't need to go though security at Festival beach Pattaya

If you enter esplanade via McDonald's restaurant you can walk in without going through the security screening, you can walk into big c via kfc restaurant and not be screened too and I have often not been checked at mbk, central rama 9 etc

The security is so lax I don't know why they even have it, if anyone is carrying anything heavy like a lot of shopping they just get waved past anyway....

This fake "security" does more harm than good imo

There are packed bars and restaurants all around Thailand that could be targeted... They won't admit there is still terrorists in Thailand until we get another Paris...

every other day there is a minican or bus disaster and that's been happening as long as I can remember and nobody has done anything about it yet....

I am shocked and saddened to read comment after comment about the possible loss to tourism if such an evil act was to happen, yet very little about the devastation of possible VICTIMS lives and that of their families, yes you are correct in that tourism would more than likely recover and maybe even get better, unfortunately the possible victims would not have this opportunity of another chance, and once again with Thailand it all seems to be about the money

I don't think anyone is implying that the loss of life is in itself a tragedy but tragedies are a part of life. You sound like one of those people who say, "If it saves just one life, it's worth it." But that's a very untrue statement. We, as a society, constantly make decisions based on a nebulous price of life. We could build cars that could withstand a nuclear blast. But we don't because we feel some human tragedy is acceptable given various parameters. The cost of such a car would be millions of dollars and transportation is of higher value to us than the number of lives lost due to traffic accidents.

Besides, really, if you want to talk about tragedy, how about the needless deaths caused by mosquito hosted diseases, lack of clean drinking water, and so on? Most of these deaths are entirely preventable. We just lack the will to do anything about it. I find that more tragic than some tourists getting blown up in a disco.

NeverSure, Polytech made a hell of a good AK, milled receiver, not stamped, I know. All the stamped one were crap. Unusual, mideast types here in Udon at present. Nobody likes or wants them and can't figure out why they are here. Last time I saw any was just before joint US/Thai military exercise here. A life of being suspicious has kept me alive.

NeverSure, Polytech made a hell of a good AK, milled receiver, not stamped, I know. All the stamped one were crap. Unusual, mideast types here in Udon at present. Nobody likes or wants them and can't figure out why they are here. Last time I saw any was just before joint US/Thai military exercise here. A life of being suspicious has kept me alive.

The AK's my Afghan security have are from the 70's and they still fire as if they were new.

I know this cause I have to test them once a month. :-)

These Thai Immigration officials forget one very important fact :

Nobody, not even THEY, know the exact number of IS fighters who have entered Thailand already NOT WITH Syrian passports, but with passports of "friendly" countries !

Not one Immigration official can convince me that they can differ one farang from the other, nor can they differ a russian from a syrian, a Saudi Arabian for a syrian, and so on.

Complete and utter waste of time, these reports.

Beef up security and HOPE for the best

I'm asking a serious question.

Should we avoid the malls, walking street, etc.?

Well at least give Jihadi-a-gogo on that soi off Walking Street a miss for a while maybe. Shame because they're cute in their rubber duck costumes.

post-85392-0-46138600-1449257227_thumb.j

Cheers.

A guy at JJ's just sold me an AK-48. Said it was better than the AK-47. Did I just get ripped off?

Yeah, the AK47 was a bit leafy, so they developed a similar strain that's easier to trim.

Naw, you didn't waste your money.

Again, they are not only after Russians. Is Paris in Russia? In Pattaya and Phuket they get Russians and westerners. You can't really step out in Pattaya and segregate yourself from Russians (or westerners).

It's hard to completely avoid the malls but I think it would be sensible to avoid large gatherings such as at festivals that attract mostly foreigners.

As far as the Russians ... so now Egypt is out. Turkey is out. So ISIS wants to make Pattaya out too?

I think there's no discussion. ISIS hates everybody outside of their "faith" and worldview, and they want an apocalyptic showdown with the rest of the world so they can go out as martyrs to their Islamic vision and then enjoy their 27 virgins.

I just saw this reported on NHK (Japanese) tv which said the same thing but added that the targets were BOTH Russian and western tourists. I don't think anyone is particularly surprised by this.

Personally, I have little confidence that these terrorist forces can be well contained here. So how are we supposed to react to this?

Here in Pattaya, pretty much the entire city is a soft target. But some potential targets are more obvious than others. How about a step up in actual security measures rather than the lame "security theater" of entry scanners on some doors at Central Pattaya Beach Mall?

a step up on measures, like what?

Again, they are not only after Russians. Is Paris in Russia? In Pattaya and Phuket they get Russians and westerners. You can't really step out in Pattaya and segregate yourself from Russians (or westerners).

It's hard to completely avoid the malls but I think it would be sensible to avoid large gatherings such as at festivals that attract mostly foreigners.

As far as the Russians ... so now Egypt is out. Turkey is out. So ISIS wants to make Pattaya out too?

just live like you always do, when it is your time you will go. no need to be scared all the time

Archived