nightlife

dare

If by nightlife you mean alcohol and prostitution then yes things like that can be found in Chiang Rai, I am told, but they are not things Chiang Rai is well known for.

Though, since the 'Ban on Alcohol Near Schools and Universities" went into effect, the locations have had to change, or become less visible.

The original push was that alcohol could not be sold within 300 meters of schools and universities, at any time of day.

There are a heck of a lot of "Thai" venues that are operate till the wee hours of the morning, tucked away in large hotel basements, or spring up in warehouses. Just look for a large group of scooters haphazardly parked nearby.

The places geared specifically for foreigners don't tend to stay open late, or for very long.

Chiang Rai has it's own miniature skid row where local old people go more for drinking than they do for whoring. Whoring is mostly limited to a few hill tribe girls. If this is what you are looking for I recommend you go to Chiang Mai which is filled with whore bars, slop shops, junk stores and traffic jams.

Yes there is definitely a pretty vibrant nightlife in Chiang Rai . Almost all of it is Thai and the patrons are usually in their early twenties. There are a lot of clubs with live bands especially on weekends. The music can be quite good and almost all in Thai.

The clubs are scattered around many on the outskirts of the downtown area.

If you go to these clubs you will likely be the only farang there. English will be rare but of course the locals will treat you nicely unless you are a jerk. Prices are generally low for beer/food/snacks.

There are lots of pretty local gals in the clubs but don't expect a bunch of pattaya style gals or you;ll be very disappointed.

If you're a young nice guy you might be able to meet some of the local gals or they may well completely ignore you. From what i have seen these bars are places for locals to go on dates or hang out with their local Thai friends.

The bigger clubs would be like Par club. A couple others are Tuk Falang/ Retro and Say Play bar....there are many many others.

The Jed Yod road "nightlife" is very very different from the local CR nightlife and most local gals wouldn't be caught dead there.

The younger Thais seem to have some clubs down near Central Plaza, I see the sign for them when I drive past on old Phahlyothin Road.

One has a name that attracted the attention of a previous moderator but I'm sure you'll recognise it when you see it.

Like the Karaoke bars frequented by Thai men some Thai language skills would be essential.

Edited by sceadugenga

Plenty of Thai restaurants with live music - all of the ones I have been to have Thai bands - mainly acoustic.

I like Retro and it's a 2 minute walk from where I live.

Hardcore cafe has a great atmosphere - nearly all Thai's letting their hair down or celebrating birthdays. Has some good rock groups on occasionally.

Hangover bar on Jed Yod road has live music on Friday evenings. One band does a variety of old classic songs (including rock) and last night saw the first performance of a jazz band.

A new venue will be opening soon on Uttarakit Road.

The nightlife for falangs in Chiang Rai is a lot more limited than Chiang Mai, about half a dozen bars on Jetyod Road. A fair proportion of the girls there are from the hilltribes or even Issan. The Coconut Bar has quite a good English breakfast, but there are not too many Western food spots in Chiang Rai.

Oddly (and sadly) enough, there seems to be one overwhelming similarity with bars here and back home: They're packed with kids.

I'd love to find a bar/music that caters to us oldsters, with entertainment that was called "unplugged" and left you relaxed, without bleeding eardrums.

It seems my generation stays at home and watches TV..both here and back home...or hangs out with the kids, pretending they're 24...

What city?

It's in the Chiang Rai Forum.

Greetings, Sherlock Holmes.

Cheers.

Oops got me. My android app doesn't show the forum when I open in unread.

Chang Rai and nightlife oxymoron ;)

Edited by maprao

... Yes - "Chang Rai Nightlife = oxymoron." I went a couple of years ago and

couldn't find anywhere to enjoy some music or meet someone friendly.

A lot of "Massage Shops" with aggressive employees - but none of which

provide any sort of "happy-ending." ;)

Chiang Rai has it's own miniature skid row where local old people go more for drinking than they do for whoring. Whoring is mostly limited to a few hill tribe girls. If this is what you are looking for I recommend you go to Chiang Mai which is filled with whore bars, slop shops, junk stores and traffic jams.

There are 'holes' everywhere, in every city.

No need to talk down on Chiang Mai.

Dare, you need to define your idea of "nightlife"

If you mean a quiet drink and/or some live music in a farang place there are a couple of bars.

If you mean whores and happy-endings, wrong town.

Available but slim pickings.

I like Boomerang Saloon for a nice meal and going out for quiet beers with a couple of friends.

I also go out to Thai bars with bands playing Thai Pop which I'm growing to enjoy.

... Yes - "Chang Rai Nightlife = oxymoron." I went a couple of years ago and

couldn't find anywhere to enjoy some music or meet someone friendly.

A lot of "Massage Shops" with aggressive employees - but none of which

provide any sort of "happy-ending." wink.png

Any amount of googling would have told you it's not a whoring town, which is what you were wanting.

If you wanted whores, why didn't you stay in Pattaya?

If by nightlife you mean alcohol and prostitution then yes things like that can be found in Chiang Rai, I am told, but they are not things Chiang Rai is well known for.

Though, since the 'Ban on Alcohol Near Schools and Universities" went into effect, the locations have had to change, or become less visible.

The original push was that alcohol could not be sold within 300 meters of schools and universities, at any time of day.

There are a heck of a lot of "Thai" venues that are operate till the wee hours of the morning, tucked away in large hotel basements, or spring up in warehouses. Just look for a large group of scooters haphazardly parked nearby.

The places geared specifically for foreigners don't tend to stay open late, or for very long.

I have yet to see a single bar affected by the Near schools ban.

If you are interested in going to a Thai ar to pick up a woman you may be asking for trouble. First as a farang you are not welcome second you may get shot screwing around with some Thai man's woman. If that happens your body will never be seen again. Many of these people are doped up and dangerous. You would be better off with the Aussies and Poms in skid row.

I don't go to Thai bars/clubs to "pick up Thai women"....i go to listen to music have a few beers and enjoy myself in a restrained way.

I have never ever felt any animosity towards me. In fact just the opposite as get semi VIP treatment and a lot of Thais seem to be amused to see a farang.

I am well behaved and certainly been around enough to keep my eyes open for any signs of trouble and make every effort to avoid it.

If i see drunk belligerent types around then i simply leave....whether it's a Thai bar or a skid row bar. The ONLY place in CR that i have ever seen any problems/fights were the farang bars.

Whether it's a Thai bar in CR or an aussie bar in Sydney or a british pub in london or a redneck bar in alabama, any guy who goes there to try and hit on other men's girlfriends etc could very well find themselves in a bad situation.

Yes, a number of good clubs in CR that are filled with 99.5% Thai patrons, and the staff are very happy to serve farong. Also the locals are friendly and inviting. For instance, recently I asked the waiter what the folks at the next table were eating because it looked good, and the folks at the other table immediately offered me a taste.

AND, there are a number of places I have passed by that look dark and foreboding from the outside, and I would not consider going in.

I have never had a menacing stare etc. from Thai men, no matter where I go.

Sometimes they might kind of ignore you, but never have a felt even mild aggression.

Maybe I am going to the wrong places?

biggrin.png

The younger Thais seem to have some clubs down near Central Plaza, I see the sign for them when I drive past on old Phahlyothin Road.

One has a name that attracted the attention of a previous moderator but I'm sure you'll recognise it when you see it.

Like the Karaoke bars frequented by Thai men some Thai language skills would be essential.

Having eaten in a restaurant near a karaoke bar recently, I would suggest some singing skills would be an asset as well!

Clarify:

If one wanted the company of a few hill tribe girls, why would you suggest they go to CM for slop/junk/ traffic? Make zero sense.