Is Thailand loosing its charm?

Crazy chef 1

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meanwhile the rest of the world remains unchanged over the last 30 years???

Exactly. I think this is less about Thailand, and more about how some people don't like change.

But randomly some people are living in Thailand and posting on a Thai forum experiencing those changes in Thailand hence discussing changes in Thailand....OMG

Personally the rate of change is one of my favourite things about living in Bangkok. Pretty much every week some news business opens up, or a new night market appears, or some new event takes place. Makes for an exciting place to live.

Bikey,people are different.what you describe sounds great for folks who like mega cities and I wish them all the best...some folks( like me) prefer the quieter side of life and I wish they are happy as well...

Personally the rate of change is one of my favourite things about living in Bangkok. Pretty much every week some news business opens up, or a new night market appears, or some new event takes place. Makes for an exciting place to live.

Bikey,people are different.what you describe sounds great for folks who like mega cities and I wish them all the best...some folks( like me) prefer the quieter side of life and I wish they are happy as well...

Obviously people are different - hence the fact I started my post with the word 'personally'.

I'm sure there are plenty of places where the quiet life is available too. Maybe you're just living in the wrong place?

Edited by SoiBiker

Obviously people are different - hence the fact I started my post with the word 'personally'.

I'm sure there are plenty of places where the quiet life is available too. Maybe you're just living in the wrong place?

Not living my friend just working...our house is located in the perfect environment for us...

It's hard to maintain perspective. I've lived in London, Madrid and New York (twice). Lots of the gripes I have about living in Bangkok could be levelled at those cities too. Big cities put a lot of pressure on the locals who are just earning enough to get by - that makes people irritable sometimes. New York is famous for it, so is Madrid although I still love both cities.

New York is very different from the rest of the USA just as Bangkok is very different to other areas of Thailand. However, as others have mentioned, there is a cycle of instability here that is always centered on Bangkok. That is not much fun when it happens. The heat makes enjoying the outdoors and walking around the city not much fun (unlike NYC or London).

So yes, inevitably, Bangkok and Thailand is changing but you can still find the things I first loved about the place 30 years ago - it just takes a lot more effort than it used to.

If you look back on how your own country has modernised and changed in history, then this is exactly what is happening in Thailand.

The tourists come to see the exotic and how people in another country live, but they want to stay in modern hotels while they are here. The tourists still want to shop in the expensive shopping malls, because it's still cheaper than their own country. They visit the old markets for a short time and then toddle off to the air con mall.

There are a few tourists who want to see the 'real' Thailand and stay well away from BKK, but they still like an air con room and a western toilet with paper.

Though following the recommendations of some posters to enjoy the modern Thailand we went yesterday to Central shopping mall and yes they are expensive...I wanted to buy a feather pillow=7990thb,pair of working shoes=2900thb and to complete my mission Mc Donald's = 560 thb...

Though for me enough experience of the modernised Thailand for a long time I guess...

Except we'll go to Tesco today...but just for a big pack mamy poko...

but to be fair that's the lifestyle you choose. You could live here completely different. Up to everyone themselves.

well I guess if you like it quieter, you are somehow in the wrong location in Phuket or in Bangkok. It's like saying you don't like densely populated places and then move to Hong Kong. Everyone makes their choices.

The buildings don't really matter. The people do. And there is no doubt that Thai people have started to change since they were persuaded aboard the consumer bandwagon, enslaved by debt and drip-fed spurious Western values.

Living standards may have risen - but at what cost as rampant materialism and narcissism combine to drive out care, compassion, a sense of community and other human values that are hallmarks of a civilised society.

Material possessions do not bring lasting happiness. You may own a new house, a car, washing machine, fridge, an expensive smartphone and the latest state-of-the-art digital entertainment centre. But, as the good book observes, if you have not charity you have nothing.

The Thai people's biggest mistake was not being unable to resist the siren call of the consumerist West. It was failing to heed the clarion call of self-sufficiency from their visionary King - a message which, as the unfettered exploitation of natural resources threatens Man's very survival, the whole world needs urgently to take to heart.

What a birthday present that would be!

Edited by Krataiboy

The buildings don't really matter. The people do.

Broadly in agreement with that although in Bangkok the buildings have greatly contributed to making the city the one with the, globally, highest yearly average temperature by some estimates.

Living standards may have risen

but the quality of life has gone down in Bangkok at least IMHO.

Edited by SanukDii

To paraphrase Samuel Johnson, when a man is tired of Bangkok, he's tired of life.

Everywhere changes. Only a fool would expect otherwise. But Thailand is still awesome if you approach it with an open mind.

Exactly biker. I don't live permanently in Bangkok, but still find it an exciting city. Embrace the change, for nothing stands still, and open your eyes to wjat the country offers.

It may lose its appeal for those with the swept over hair frequenting Pattaya, Phuket, etc., but that's understandable, because they have a limited view of Thailand, not unlike those who go to Bali and never leave the south coastal strip. Their view is clouded by liters of Bintang.

I've never been to P or P, never south of Hua Hin, but I've covered the rest of the country in buses, on motorcycles, and I never tire of seeing new things. From HH to Mae Hong Son, Three Pagodas Pass to Nong Khai, I've enjoyed every day there.

The architecture and food make it entirely worth a visit, but get out of Bangkok, great city though it is, and avoid P & P.

Edited by F4UCorsair

The buildings don't really matter. The people do. And there is no doubt that Thai people have started to change since they were persuaded aboard the consumer bandwagon, enslaved by debt and drip-fed spurious Western values.

Living standards may have risen - but at what cost as rampant materialism and narcissism combine to drive out care, compassion, a sense of community and other human values that are hallmarks of a civilised society.

Material possessions do not bring lasting happiness. You may own a new house, a car, washing machine, fridge, an expensive smartphone and the latest state-of-the-art digital entertainment centre. But, as the good book observes, if you have not charity you have nothing.

The Thai people's biggest mistake was not being unable to resist the siren call of the consumerist West. It was failing to heed the clarion call of self-sufficiency from their visionary King - a message which, as the unfettered exploitation of natural resources threatens Man's very survival, the whole world needs urgently to take to heart.

A sufficiency economy? Is that the one where the poor just accept their lot?

I find it a bit amusing when people talk about Thais as if they were mystical beings with no interest in the material world until the farangs came along and spoiled everything. Forty years ago, upcountry people were so poor they all wanted to go to this magical place called Bangkok and get rich. The stories of bright lights and a town that never sleeps attracted villagers by the millions. They knew little of the West but they knew about money and status in this class structured society.

People are obsessed with how much things cost and how much they have in relation to their neighbors. Material possessions help define your place in the hierarchy and there has always been a burning desire to have more and elevate ones place in the pack.
You can’t even blame the west for bringing things like McDonald’s to Thailand because I know the guy who brought McDonald’s here and he is Thai.

<snip>

You can’t even blame the west for bringing things like McDonald’s to Thailand because I know the guy who brought McDonald’s here and he is Thai.

Gee -- that would make a great song:

"I'm the Man who brought McDonald's to Bangkok Thai----land"

sung to the tune of "I'm the man who broke the Bank at Monte Car-----lo" (I won't bother with the Charles Coburn video)

Edited by JLCrab

I tend to view this as a change in perspective even more than a change in Thailand. After dinner the other night I stopped to talk with a group of first-timers at another table. They seemed to be as enthralled with Thailand as any visitors I have talked with over the last forty years.

If the initial appeal for anything is its newness or novelty then you are going to hit a phase where you either find some deeper affinity for that thing or you lament it having become familiar and go off in search of something new again.
I do not buy into the arguments over where the ‘real Thailand’ resides. When I moved to Thailand in the 70s people in my life would ask when I was returning to the ‘real world’ and they had a hard time understanding that where you live is ‘real’ regardless of where that might be.

clap2.gif

I tend to view this as a change in perspective even more than a change in Thailand. After dinner the other night I stopped to talk with a group of first-timers at another table. They seemed to be as enthralled with Thailand as any visitors I have talked with over the last forty years.

If the initial appeal for anything is its newness or novelty then you are going to hit a phase where you either find some deeper affinity for that thing or you lament it having become familiar and go off in search of something new again.

I do not buy into the arguments over where the real Thailand resides. When I moved to Thailand in the 70s people in my life would ask when I was returning to the real world and they had a hard time understanding that where you live is real regardless of where that might be.

Change/ innovation are good things if applied within an appropriate time because people need the time to adapt...if done too fast difficult to handle...

As example when the Berlin Wall disappeared ( me behind the iron curtain at this time)I was sixteen and within one year thousand of new things were available- chaos for the next 3-4 years and to adopt completely it took about ten years...but here it is more like a time warp without the time to adapt ...just my two cents

With my view of change in Thailand being spread over such a long period of time, I don’t see it as a time warp. It certainly doesn’t seem as abrupt as the fall of the Berlin Wall. I can see how your experience being so dramatically different from my own could lead you to look at things differently and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. We all have our own unique view of the world molded by our life experiences.

I can’t help but wonder, at what point in history are we supposed to stop the clock and move no further? Ones heritage is not lost, it simply resides in history along with many other things from our past.

clap2.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

I find it a bit amusing when people talk about Thais as if they were mystical beings with no interest in the material world until the farangs came along and spoiled everything. Forty years ago, upcountry people were so poor they all wanted to go to this magical place called Bangkok and get rich. The stories of bright lights and a town that never sleeps attracted villagers by the millions. They knew little of the West but they knew about money and status in this class structured society.

People are obsessed with how much things cost and how much they have in relation to their neighbors. Material possessions help define your place in the hierarchy and there has always been a burning desire to have more and elevate ones place in the pack.

Some foreigners even today look at Thais As if Thais and foreigners live in parallel universes..and as if poverty has a certain virtue and is the real Thailand.

Of course all these westernised comments are complete nonsense..its progress not all western influenced. Korean, Japanese..etc..

My experience over decades is that Asia is far more materialistic and attaches greater importance to it than does the west and that includes Thailand.

A sufficiency economy? Is that the one where the poor just accept their lot?

Great post.

I guess now the Thais have cars and smartphones, it's harder to feel superior to them.

Same reason why many of as dont like Obama, At least before we had the blacks to fee superior toward, now an uppity one went and elected him self president! What now?

oh well at least we have the Thais , now they go and get phones and cars What the hell!

Not charming man , Not Charmingrolleyes.gif

I guess now the Thais have cars and smartphones, it's harder to feel superior to them.

A simple mind is a joy forever....too.

No only until complex decisions need to be made

That's why we have the Darwin Awards.

That's what really matches the word pathetic.

That's what really matches the word pathetic.

You are being to kind..it is probably the most pathetic post of 2015..

Probably can't afford the wife any longer..

Despise foreigners who want to keep Thais poor, or even a chance to better themselves, because it suits them!