Phuket Navy forces to provide military support in Surin Beach clearout

rooster59

Phuket Navy forces to provide military support in Surin Beach clearout

post-247607-0-35081800-1449321297_thumb.

Popular beach clubs and restaurants stand in the firing line in the renewed push to clear the Surin beachfront.

PHUKET: Navy security personnel will be at the ready to handle any resistance in the mass demolition of beachfront buildings slated to be carried out at Phuket’s Surin Beach before New Year’s Day.

Most of the demolition orders were signed by the previous Phuket Governor, Nisit Jansomwong, confirmed Lt Sompop Khamkana of Royal Thai Navy’s Third Area Command this week.

“Because of the timing, we were just waiting for the new Governor (Chamroen Tipayapongtada) to oversee the proceedings,” Lt Sompop said.

Warning letters for business owners to vacate their properties were to be issued this week, Ma-Ann Samran, chief of the Cherng Talay Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor), the local authority for Surin Beach, announced on Tuesday (Dec 1). (See story here.)

Also, Surin Beach will be closed for up to a week while the demolition is carried out, he added. “Hence the need to inform tourists,” Mr Ma-Ann said.

A total of 36 businesses are targeted for demolition. “Of these, 20 belong to Cherng Talay OrBorTor,” Phuket Vice Governor Chokdee Armornwat said at the meeting on Tuesday, when the New Year deadline was set.

“These will be no problem, as Mr Ma-Ann has already approved the demolition of these buildings,” he said.

The renewed drive to clear Surin Beach aims to bring to an end the ongoing saga that began with the same order issued more than 16 months ago, to clear Surin Beach “completely”.

That saga may not yet be over. Mr Ma-Ann this week admitted to The Phuket News that several business owners had filed appeals against the demolition orders with the Phuket Provincial Court, and those appeals had yet to be ruled on.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-navy-forces-to-provide-military-support-in-surin-beach-clearout-55249.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-12-05

I remember the first time I went to Surin beach. It was over 50 years ago and I thought it was the most beautiful beach in the whole world. There was not a soul on it. I went back there a few years ago and could not find it because it was nothing like when I had first seen it. When I did, I found it had been completely trashed by vendor's, clubs and other unauthorised buildings. And I left in disgust.

It seems nothing was done by previous governments because too many politicians had a vested interest in the illegal structures. I hope the Junta and Navy can carry on clearing these once beautiful beaches.

Only time will tell. However, how can anyone fight their case in court if they do not legally own the land. Unless they can prove that they do, then the court should refuse their appeals. If they appear to have titles which are obviously forged then they should be prosecuted. Warn them of this and see how many proceed . They know wether they paid corrupt land officers or not.