Are there any zoning laws in Pattaya City

tropo

...As it turns out, she had made enemies with 2 other THAI close neighbours over the past 2 years - they have both since moved out.

Carefully consider this fact as you plan your course of action, would be my suggestion.

She was not the reason they moved out - far from it. She was nothing but a mild annoyance to them as she couldn't play the "you're not Thai - watch yourself" card with them. One moved out recently as her Farang husband died. The other was looking for a better place to run her business - mending clothes and selling Thai food - which upset the laundry bitch of course.

I'm not aware that Pattaya City Hall has any comprehension of the word "zoning".

"Planning" is equally unknown.

Sometime around 2004 or 05, Pattaya got a new mayor and he hired a professional code enforcement director with the mandate to enforce local building codes. He got right to work on his very first day serving notice that illegally built buildings would be ordered torn down.

He almost made it home that night....but not quite.

Shot dead in his driveway.

This is a true story, not an urban legend.

NO zoning or ordnance laws or enforcement of them makes Pattaya one of the ugliest modern tourist cities in the world.(The bay is beautiful at night with the lights.) What do I mean by stating Pattaya is one of the ugliest tourist cities with a modern facade? Kilometers and kilometers of utility wires (mostly telephone/internet) dangling around & down/ wrapped in coils on poles around the city; narrow; crumbling suicidal sidewalks that also hosts telephone and light poles, street signs, vendors, and sleeping soi dogs; an odorous, foul sewer system adding aroma into the city air; insufficient drainage system that overflows with a common tropical rain; buildings or walls (not inspected) built right to the edge of a street making it difficult to see who is zooming down the street as you slowly drive your car onto the main street; handicap sidewalk slopes that are not the width of a wheel chair (what a joke); open loud bars blaring out music until 2 or 3am in the morning; raw sewage piped into Pattaya Bay (no environmental rules to follow here?); unfinished city maintenance on sidewalks or streets ...too bad Thailand was not colonized by the Germans or Swiss. Helter-Skelter development is not the trend of the 21st Century (unless you live in Africa).

You were too kind in your description of this place. My Thai friends complain that local government and corruption have turned it into what is seen today.They too have sleepless nights due to the version of "Zoning" in this town.

I think your initial question is irrelevant now, even if there were civil or legal measures you could take and have enforced.....would you really go ahead with it after that experience, imagine what could happen if you actually had her closed down?

We have decided not to and will stand our ground

I will take precautions to avoid the goons and carry some weapons just in case. If they come back I will try to photograph them and make a police report. They can't get us in the house, so they'd have to ambush us. We don't go out much, so they will have to be very patient.

This is foolish bravado. If all else fails, they'll simply burn the house down - with you and your wife in it. Your ego is going to result in a very bad outcome for you and your wife. Now that things have escalated to this point, the only sensible thing to do is to move, right now.

And this didn't come out of nowhere; your wife knew this woman, or exchanged sharp words with her somewhere/sometime, or one of her relatives did, or something. It's obvious she isn't telling you the whole truth.

If you persist in this foolish course of action, my very strong advice is to ensure you have your life insurance premiums paid up so that your next of kin will at least have something to subsist on after it's all over.

I will take precautions to avoid the goons and carry some weapons just in case. If they come back I will try to photograph them and make a police report. They can't get us in the house, so they'd have to ambush us. We don't go out much, so they will have to be very patient.

This is foolish bravado. If all else fails, they'll simply burn the house down - with you and your wife in it. Your ego is going to result in a very bad outcome for you and your wife. Now that things have escalated to this point, the only sensible thing to do is to move, right now.

And this didn't come out of nowhere; your wife knew this woman, or exchanged sharp words with her somewhere/sometime, or one of her relatives did, or something. It's obvious she isn't telling you the whole truth.

If you persist in this foolish course of action, my very strong advice is to ensure you have your life insurance premiums paid up so that your next of kin will at least have something to subsist on after it's all over.

I think that is a bit alarmist although no doubt there could be on going problems should he stay.

I would move. It just ain't worth the trouble.

I was doing a contract in Australia a couple of years ago and I had rented a really nice apartment 700pw but I ended up having to move because of idiot neighbours who had parties to all hours even on week nights.

No amount of calls to rental agencies or police or whatever would change their behaviour. It cost me a couple of thousand to have to break the lease and move but I just couldn't deal with the idiots any longer.

Sometimes it is just better to move on.

I think that is a bit alarmist although no doubt there could be on going problems should he stay.

I was doing a contract in Australia a couple of years ago and I had rented a really nice apartment 700pw but I ended up having to move because of idiot neighbours who had parties to all hours even on week nights.

No amount of calls to rental agencies or police or whatever would change their behaviour. It cost me a couple of thousand to have to break the lease and move but I just couldn't deal with the idiots any longer.

I'd agree with this; the very fact of the OP reacting as he does and being determined to stay will not defuse the situation, to say the very least.

Uneducated Thais can be as territorial as soi dogs, and as vicious, and they will hunt in packs. You are a foreigner and will almost always be on the losing end, be it legally or in escalation of threats and violence.

Move.

I'm not aware that Pattaya City Hall has any comprehension of the word "zoning".

"Planning" is equally unknown.

I am not aware of any zoning, except of entertainment areas and places selling alcohol. According to the GF, there aren't any, and if : "if you have a lot of money, you can do, what you want". At least, they aren't enforced.

Totally against Thai mindset to accept rules.

We were looking at the prices of some land plots, astonishingly for me the ones in the quiet areas away from the street were cheaper than the ones facing the loud main street. Explanation from the GF: Thai people are different! Thai people are thinking: there you can always open a small business, if you want, and a lot of cars are passing, who might buy.

Thanks for your advice. At this stage I won't be running.

My wife is telling me the whole truth. They had never previously exchanged words, only glances.

This is nothing to do with my ego. I lost that years ago when I moved to Asia as I've been living in SE Asia full time for over 15 years. It's about considering the pros and cons and not being too alarmist. If I was that concerned about my health and safely I would have left Thailand years ago. When you've been living in backward countries as long as I have, you don't react quite the same way to problems as the folk back at home.

Call it foolish if you like. Stay tuned to the Pattaya news section as I may not be around to post about it if I'm dead. If I don't post for about 3 days, I may have checked out.smile.png

You have some friends dont you? Invite them for a barbeque. Show your neighbours you have friends. Buy a big grill. Have fun. If they see you are halfdead they will intimidate you. Whats your age?

LOL. No, I am not "halfdead"... that's why she called 4 goons to intimidate me. I'm well trained and I'll take a few down with me if it comes to that.

I'm not allowed to have barbecues. They told me I had to cook inside, so as not to taint her drying laundry.

I'd agree with this; the very fact of the OP reacting as he does and being determined to stay will not defuse the situation, to say the very least.

Uneducated Thais can be as territorial as soi dogs, and as vicious, and they will hunt in packs. You are a foreigner and will almost always be on the losing end, be it legally or in escalation of threats and violence.

Move.

At this stage there have been absolutely no threats from my end. I was strictly on the receiving end of them. I will not be threatening anyone. Please bear in mind I have lived in peace in Thailand for 10 years and never had a fight with Thais before. I'm aware of the the dangers of dealing with Thais.

The topic is really about zoning laws, of which there appears to be none.

Move.

Yes, uneducated people can be dangerous - the most dangerous of all, as they don't think much about what they do. I've dealt with this in the Philippines too. It's not a uniquely Thai condition.

Can only imagine the spin cycle of those wash machines are driving crazy.

No, there are no problems with noise. The wash machines are in the carport.

The perfumed products used are causing health problems for my wife as she is violently allergic to them. I also sneeze when I breathe them in. We live with our front entrance and windows tightly shut all day and night.

move

Just move problem solved...

Possibly, but when you're been living somewhere you're comfortable at for nearly 5 years, it's not easy to just pack up and leave.

It is better than getting beaten senseless or your wife getting hurt.

It isn't worth it nor is this over with.

I would suggest you get a message to this lady that you plan to move and instigate a temporary peace until you do.

What was the incident that initiated this?

Could be worse, some people end up with a karaoke next door and if one complains, they are seen as the trouble maker.

NO zoning or ordnance laws or enforcement of them makes Pattaya one of the ugliest modern tourist cities in the world.(The bay is beautiful at night with the lights.) What do I mean by stating Pattaya is one of the ugliest tourist cities with a modern facade? Kilometers and kilometers of utility wires (mostly telephone/internet) dangling around & down/ wrapped in coils on poles around the city; narrow; crumbling suicidal sidewalks that also hosts telephone and light poles, street signs, vendors, and sleeping soi dogs; an odorous, foul sewer system adding aroma into the city air; insufficient drainage system that overflows with a common tropical rain; buildings or walls (not inspected) built right to the edge of a street making it difficult to see who is zooming down the street as you slowly drive your car onto the main street; handicap sidewalk slopes that are not the width of a wheel chair (what a joke); open loud bars blaring out music until 2 or 3am in the morning; raw sewage piped into Pattaya Bay (no environmental rules to follow here?); unfinished city maintenance on sidewalks or streets ...too bad Thailand was not colonized by the Germans or Swiss. Helter-Skelter development is not the trend of the 21st Century (unless you live in Africa).

I would like to add I have seen numerous ramps into buildings, particularly condo towers, that are at such a steep angle (45 degrees like the steps), that surely wheelchair bound people were not the reason for them.

Sorry for your problems - words, being right or wrong aren't going to matter much. I live in a small village with friendly people and there are things here that can intrude on life too - - burning and noise - but most people are considerate if spoken to nicely… I am sure your neighbor feels like she is just using her proeprty peacefully and does not need complaints or attempts to shut her down...

It is terrible that you have to deal with this and I fully sympathize but it will be far worse if you have to deal with missing teeth and medical bills from an altercation… keep smart, stay safe and move…

It seems as the world becomes more populated, this is an increasing problem everywhere - best of luck to you.

Tropo, you do seem pretty well clued up on the local situation. As such, I do wonder what made you think, even for a second, that any relevant zoning laws exist in Pattaya, and - even if they did - how you could possibly get them enforced against a Thai neighbor without any major repercussions.

Folks are maimed and killed on a daily basis for causing much smaller losses of face than what you are getting involved in.

Mai pen rai and keep on smiling, dude.

Tropo, you do seem pretty well clued up on the local situation. As such, I do wonder what made you think, even for a second, that any relevant zoning laws exist in Pattaya, and - even if they did - how you could possibly get them enforced against a Thai neighbor without any major repercussions.

Folks are maimed and killed on a daily basis for causing much smaller losses of face than what you are getting involved in.

Mai pen rai and keep on smiling, dude.

I didn't think anything, but hoped there maybe a slim chance there could be. Perhaps if I was Thai (with money) of some standing in the community she would have been gone long ago.

It wouldn't be me making the complaints. I'm not the owner.

He has a lot to lose here as his property value has plummeted due to this laundry business starting up. Renting will be much more problematic too after we leave. This laundry business has turned a nice building into a dump. This is valuable information for anyone considering buying a townhouse here - could happen anywhere.

Anyway, zoning is now a moot point.

PS. This thread was started while I was still very emotionally revved up, just after the event. I've since cooled down to a nearly healthy temps.biggrin.png

• 1 year later...

Just to tie up some loose ends on this old thread. The City Hall does act on complaints, but very slowly. If they get enough complaints, they have no choice but to do something. In this case, she was told she should leave... but it would have probably taken more complaints to complete the deal. She was told to take her sign down, which she did. We left, so it's no longer a concern of mine.

11 hours ago, tropo said:

Just to tie up some loose ends on this old thread. The City Hall does act on complaints, but very slowly. If they get enough complaints, they have no choice but to do something. In this case, she was told she should leave... but it would have probably taken more complaints to complete the deal. She was told to take her sign down, which she did. We left, so it's no longer a concern of mine.

Thanks for the update, glad you managed to get away from the problem in the end. 

Archived