CDC’s Apichart: PM can come from outside political parties

rooster59

BANGKOK, 6 December 2015 (NNT) - A vice chairman of the Constitution Drafting Commission has insisted that the next prime minister does not have to be a member of any political parties.

CDC’s vice president Apichart Sukhagganond, who also chairs the subcommittee tasked with the study of the executive branch, said that the charter drafters have principally agreed to the part of the prime minister’s qualifications and how shortlisted candidates should be processed.

Mr. Apichart said that the CDC suggested that political parties should altogether submit five candidates for the premiership while the nominated candidates do not have to be party members.

In addition, different parties may nominate same candidates but the nominated persons must provide written agreements to endorse their nominations before notifying the Election Commission and the House of Parliament gets to vote to elect, he added.

Mr. Apichart went on to say that the new draft charter will be shorter than the previous version and is expected to include no more than 200 articles.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-12-06 footer_n.gif

"

BANGKOK, 6 December 2015 (NNT) - A vice chairman of the Constitution Drafting Commission has insisted that the next prime minister does not have to be a member of any political parties."

Does he have to be elected?

Seems to be getting sillier all the time.....a party winns an election.....doesn't have the right to nominate their PM......and could very likely have a PM from an opposing party telling them what to do!....

And there goes the legitimacy of any elected parliament!

All this to get a Prime Minister?

blame the previous PM who acted more like a President at times rather than a Prime Minister in a Monarchy.

I'd blame the present PM, or more accurately those who put him there.

They are determined that no matter who the electorate choose, they will decide who is to be PM.

Let me guess. PTP wins in the next election and they have to forward Prayuth as the next PM.

It doesn't get more bizare, does it?

Khun Anan, can you please take over the new constitution drafting as it looks like only Banana's are drafting it currently.

blame the previous PM who acted more like a President at times rather than a Prime Minister in a Monarchy.

They are determined that no matter who the electorate choose, they will decide who is to be PM.

We agree to disagree I think.

BTW till now the electorate never choose a PM. That was the privilege of the MPs. I think it should be left that way with only in as precisely as possible described circumstances the option for the judiciary to appoint a qualified Thai as interim PM. Similar as the Greeks did / had in September this year

How utterly ridiculous!

Do you also blame Yingluck or Thaksin for the 1991 military constitution that enabled an unelected PM (Suchinda)?

How can one be so gormless as to not see things for what they are and instead constantly bleat inane junta propaganda at every turn??

Bewildering......and sad!

I pity you.

How utterly ridiculous!

Do you also blame Yingluck or Thaksin for the 1991 military constitution that enabled an unelected PM (Suchinda)?

How can one be so gormless as to not see things for what they are and instead constantly bleat inane junta propaganda at every turn??

I pity you.

Well thank you very much for your opinion and so succinctly phrased as well.

Have a nice day.

The last elections were all full of vote buying and without free media. The way Thailand elects isn't much more democratic than a coup.....My dog could get PM if he can hand out the double amount of the Shinawatras.

The last elections were all full of vote buying and without free media. The way Thailand elects isn't much more democratic than a coup.....My dog could get PM if he can hand out the double amount of the Shinawatras.

The last election was recognised internationally and domestically as being free and fair. The Democrats accepted the result. The electorate made their choice. That choice was disliked by the military and their sponsors. Therefore it was overturned, in a long running and slow motion process which ended with the coup.

I would hazard a guess that you didn't like the result of the last (completed) election either, and are trying to justify the imposition of this junta regime, and all the undemocratic repressive measures which it entails (and with which I would also hazard a guess you are quite happy) by bleating on about vote buying.

Vote buying undoubtedly occurred, on both sides I believe. It had by all accounts little if any effect upon the outcome. That is not to condone it, but to use it as justification for the imposition of the present regime is pretty feeble.

And as for your dog, well he has about as much of a popular mandate and right to govern as the junta with which you are so enamored.

I won't even bother raising the subject of free media given the current situation.

Edited by JAG

My dog could get PM if he can hand out the double amount of the Shinawatras.

And as for your dog, well he has about as much of a popular mandate and right to govern as the junta with which you are so enamored.

nxoootmlzdi081uaix1-o.gif

Edited by Morakot

How utterly ridiculous!

I pity you.

Have a nice day.

The existence of previous military written Thai constitutions that pre-date the Shinawatra's and allow for unelected PM's is not "my opinion", it is a FACT.

The FACT that these constitutions existed renders your post blaming Yingluck for the current Juntas anti-democratic stance as nonsense.

Good day to you to.

THis CDC panel should be removed and all the former PMs and cabinet should simply vote on the smartest simplist election system.

Prayuth is letting this continue why ?

This is kids stuff like all civilized western regions. So simple and no need give the Thainess talk about how Thailand is not same. Becuase it is the same. In the end its showing what kind of leader you actually are.

How utterly ridiculous!

I pity you.

Have a nice day.

The existence of previous military written Thai constitutions that pre-date the Shinawatra's and allow for unelected PM's is not "my opinion", it is a FACT.

The FACT that these constitutions existed renders your post blaming Yingluck for the current Juntas anti-democratic stance as nonsense.

Good day to you to.

Interestingly the first codified constitution in Thalaind was brought by two Amart with help of Army officers in 1932.

Anyway, I'm not blaming Ms. Yingluck for what some have as ' the anti-democratic stance of the NCPO', I'm blaming Ms. Yingluck for the start of this discussion on the position of PM, the responsibilities, who can elect/appoint/remove. The way Ms. Yingluck behaved as PM was more of an (unelected) President. In part understandable with her brother being the de-facto PM ordering his cabinet around.

I doubt that without Ms. Yingluck's 'stance' we would even have this current discussion.

Edited by rubl

Once again you are entirely wrong on every point.

Yingluck (and Thaksin) are entirely irrelevant to the conversation!

Everything that is happening now regarding unelected PM's, democracy, elections, politicians, freedom of speech, fake anti-corruption crusades etc..etc.. has all happened before - time and time again and it all pre-dates the arrival of the Shinawatra's on the scene.

Thailand has had this current situation over and over again for 8 decades (for the simple folk amongst us this means this sh!t began before Yingluck was even born - so she can hardly be held accountable)

What is wrong with you?

How can you be so out of touch with reality?

Again, it bewilders the heck out of me that a grown, western educated individual could write the things you write - astonishing!