Internet Connection to my condo -What can you get December 2015 in Pattaya?

SirPaul

Why would you think it's realistically a 1.5 plan? Where did you get the idea you'll only get half your speed through Speedify?

The issue is not Speedify, the issue is what the TMN and 3BB plans really deliver.

I tested TMN's "super fast fiber" in their office, and it delivered 180 down and only 0.5 up, it was mindboggling. That was a speedtest to a server in Switzerland.

Other people around me complain about TMN's speeds, and I ran a couple of tests against a server in Switzerland too and their speed was around 0.4 to 0.75 up.

So both bundled together would be around 1.5 Mbs I guess.

But I have just been thinking that about Speedifiy's servers in other countries - so if I get better speed to their Singapore server, that would also solve part of the problem.

And regarding Speedify's licences, I have older PCs gathering dust and also a handful of ethernet cards - I could just turn one of them into a dual WAN router and install speedify on it... hmmm...

Yes, if you test to a European or US server you won't get consistent results and lower than to Singapore or Hong Kong. When I test my fiber connection to Hong Kong or Singapore I get at or very close to what I pay for. Speedify suggests using the server closest to your location. It can be changed in a few seconds through the user interface.

3BB have premium packages which cost a lot more, but cut back on sharing (lower contention ratio). The problem with the bargain basement services (which most people go for) of any provider is that they are more heavily shared and your speeds will always be less consistent throughout the day.

3BB's service is always pretty solid for the upload, rarely drops below 0.75 to Europe or USA. The problem is that 0.75 or even 1 Mbps is damn too slow - bundling 2 connections would yield only 2 Mbps at best, still slow.

But maybe there is light in the tunnel, I convinced a fibre tech to have a look at my location this afternoon to study the possibility of laying a private cable to my condo... that would be 2100 THB per month for a 30/5 connection.

3BB's service is always pretty solid for the upload, rarely drops below 0.75 to Europe or USA. The problem is that 0.75 or even 1 Mbps is damn too slow - bundling 2 connections would yield only 2 Mbps at best, still slow.

But maybe there is light in the tunnel, I convinced a fibre tech to have a look at my location this afternoon to study the possibility of laying a private cable to my condo... that would be 2100 THB per month for a 30/5 connection.

I just tested my 30/7 (actually 35/7) CAT fiber with servers in LA and NY. The download speed is about half or less (15 - 20Mbps), but my upload speed is high 6's to both locations. Of course you're always going to get the 220 ms and up ping rate which is unavoidable over distance.

I just tested my 30/7 (actually 35/7) CAT fiber with servers in LA and NY. The download speed is about half or less (15 - 20Mbps), but my upload speed is high 6's to both locations. Of course you're always going to get the 220 ms and up ping rate which is unavoidable over distance.

I would jump in joy over 6 Mbps up!

and 15 down is quite ok.

5 people from the fiber company showed up, actually on time, and after some weird discussions about boxes (the guy wanted to put a box in at every bend) they said they can do it! *yeah*

now I just have to put a project to paper and get the minor building work approved by the condo committee :-)

Edited by manarak