Rajabhakti Park closed for 'renovation' Monday

webfact

If they want to protest, kepp your dang mouth shut about when and where you are going to be. Seems like they broadcast where and when they are going. Duh...of course you will be stopped.

I think that is the point, when the dinosaurs haul the protesters off a train before they have had a protest. Job done, huge media interest, Junta looks controlling and stupid!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

closing the park was wrong

stopping these thugs from getting there was right

the investigation into the alleged corruption has not concluded so there is little to protest about at this point, if it turns out there is corruption involved then those responsible should be exposed arrested and prosecuted

there are still divisive elements lurking ready to cause trouble in Thailand and we all know how that can end up so the tight rules on protests are understandable

"Thugs"

noun; a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.

So John as you have labeled these law and political science students as "thugs" then care to give proof of your charge? I would guess you have absolutely no proof of your charge what so-ever,,, and therefor one could be subject to liable laws of false claims in Thailand, be careful man...

Also there was a lawyer present with the students that were detained, so in this group is now in your collective charge a thug as well, man things could heating up for you real quick man.

So John tell us just what law did these people break? recon you'll have trouble with that question as well.

Did I just read this right ? The army has once again handled a situation in the worst possible manner and posters such as smedly are blaming the students ?

Give me a break, the junta are idiots, no propaganda is going to change that

Pathetic isn't it unfortunately not at all unexpected.....

Students blocked from protest over park 'graft'

The Nation

30274492-01_big.jpg

Thammasat University student Sirawith Seritiwat gives an interview to the media at Thon Buri Train Station in Bangkok ahead of his trip MOnday to Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Military, police detain 38 activists while they were on their way to Prachuap Khiri Khan before releasing them

BANGKOK: -- AT least 38 student activists were taken into military custody yesterday after a failed bid to stage a political stunt to highlight alleged corruption in the construction of Rajabhakti Park and demand that the government take action against it.

Hundreds of military and police stopped the students on a train at Ban Pong Station in Ratchaburi as they were travelling from the capital to the park in Prachuap Khiri Khan.

The students were taken to the Ninth Infantry Regiment Command in Nakhon Pathom's Buddhamondhol district.

They were released last night after agreeing not to hold any political activities concerning the scandal.

The students and political activists led by Thammasat University student Sirawith Seritiwat launched a campaign called "Taking the train to Rajabhakti Park, Lighting up the Corruption". Some 60 students and activists joined the trip.

National Council for Peace and Order spokesman Winthai Suvaree said the intention was not to detain the group but merely bar them from travelling to the park. He said the move was designed to prevent a possible confrontation that could have become violent.

A group of local royalists was seen waiting at the railway station shouting and scolding the students while they were taken from the scene. One shouted: "[if you] do not love the King, then get out [of the country]."

Sirawath is studying at Thammasat's Faculty of Political Science. He is the leader of many student groups such as Dome Front Agora and Democracy Study. He has been actively protesting against the junta since the coup in the middle of last year and detained a couple of times. Given this, he has often been confronted by officials while staging political activities.

Lawyer Anont Nampa joined the trip and was also arrested. He is with the Thai Lawyers for Human Rights group, which advocates for political defendants including those facing lese majeste charges.

Rajabhakti Park was closed to the public yesterday. Officials said roads at the park and other facilities needed to be repaired despite the park opening only a few months ago. It was guarded tightly by police and soldiers with barricades put at the entrance.

The arrest of the student activists was condemned locally and internationally.

National Human Rights Commission chairman Wat Tingsamitr said the agency would discuss the issue today.

British Ambassador to Thailand Mark Kent tweeted yesterday: "I had hoped the fact that 200 people [being] allowed to demonstrate at the US Embassy might be relaxation on freedom of assembly."

He was referring to a demonstration late last month against US Ambassador Glyn Davies for him criticising harsh penalties under the lese majeste law.

The activist group New Democracy Movement demanded in a statement that the junta to release the student activists without any conditions.

NDM said people had the right to examine government expenditure and the students arrested yesterday had that right violated. It said arresting them was proof that there was corruption in the construction of Rajabhakti Park, and yesterday's event was a victory because of that.

The Bt1-billion park has become a hot political issue after claims of corruption and irregularities in raising funds for its construction. Deputy Defence Minister Udomdej Sitabutr, who presided over construction of the park, admitted that commission fees were taken by someone involved in the project before being turned into 'donations'.

The government set up an in-house committee to investigate but the public has demanded an independent body be set up to look into the matter.

Pheu Thai Party legal adviser Ruangkrai Leekitwattana said he would call for the Auditor General to take back more than Bt46 million spent on Rajabhakti Park, claiming that the budget had been misused.

He said the money was supposed to be spent on buying permanent property for the Army, but was used instead to buy construction materials for the park like marble, stone and granite.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Students-blocked-from-protest-over-park-graft-30274492.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-12-08

'British Ambassador to Thailand Mark Kent tweeted yesterday: "I had hoped the fact that 200 people [being] allowed to demonstrate at the US Embassy might be relaxation on freedom of assembly."

He was referring to a demonstration late last month against US Ambassador Glyn Davies for him criticising harsh penalties under the lese majeste law'

the world is waking up to the everyday hypocrisy from these losers yet you still have posters on here defending the junta and blaming everybody except the true culprits, anybody with an ounce of honour or common sense must realise that they are making their country look like idiots but unfortunately the leaders in this place are so arrogant and have such a sense of entitlement that it just doesn't register, tragic.....

the world is waking up to the everyday hypocrisy from these losers yet you still have posters on here defending the junta and blaming everybody except the true culprits, anybody with an ounce of honour or common sense must realise that they are making their country look like idiots but unfortunately the leaders in this place are so arrogant and have such a sense of entitlement that it just doesn't register, tragic.....

I think western countries have run out of patience with this lot now, hence ambassadors speaking their mind. Economy will be hit next, any coincidence that FAA downgraded and EASA will be next?

If they want to protest, kepp your dang mouth shut about when and where you are going to be. Seems like they broadcast where and when they are going. Duh...of course you will be stopped. So junta...exactly how much did you spend and where did the money actually come from???

I think they were rather clever,they wanted to be stopped and got more media coverage than if the army had ignored them.

the investigation into the alleged corruption has not concluded so there is little to protest about at this point, if it turns out there is corruption involved then those responsible should be exposed arrested and prosecuted

there are still divisive elements lurking ready to cause trouble in Thailand and we all know how that can end up so the tight rules on protests are understandable

"Thugs"

So John as you have labeled these law and political science students as "thugs" then care to give proof of your charge? I would guess you have absolutely no proof of your charge what so-ever,,, and therefor one could be subject to liable laws of false claims in Thailand, be careful man...

Also there was a lawyer present with the students that were detained, so in this group is now in your collective charge a thug as well, man things could heating up for you real quick man.

So John tell us just what law did these people break? recon you'll have trouble with that question as well.

I'm sure that IF calling a group of people Thugs; was a problem. Then the people who manage this web site would have deleted the word.

I have seen much worse, by many people on this site; over 100's or 1000's of topics.

Law that was broken is that you cannot have more then five people protesting together.

I understand that you believe that these kids are not doing anything wrong( I also agree); but to try to scare John, with liable laws, is 100 % wrong. The liable laws in Thialand ( If you say you don't like the green shirt that I am wearing ) I could take you to court. I'm not even sure if there is a translation for this word in the Thai language ?

This part is very interesting A group of local royalists was seen waiting at the railway station shouting and scolding the students while they were taken from the scene. One shouted: "[if you] do not love the King, then get out [of the country]." So, if you protest against possible corruption, you get that accusation thrown at you. Don't you just love mob rule by thugs 555

Fancy a bunch of local royalists knowing that the train was going to be stopped there and the students arrested. I wander how they knew?

"Thugs"

Yep, I don't think he can give a practical response to your reasonable question.

Some people just bark when they're confused.

I reiterate my opinion that these students have more balls than most others. My hats off to them for standing up to their oppressive current govt. The fact that it condemned locally and internationally... job well done.

This is how change happens.

Edited by Nowisee

Where were these whinging, bleating prats during the rice corruption?

I assume you are from a country whose people fought hard for their democracy over many decades and yet you refer to those of the same ilk aka 'democracy activists' 'whinging bleating orats' (oh, 'prat, you must be English and have never heard of the Tolpuddle Martyrs and their like?).

You came to this country expecting to be feted by little smiling peasants catering to your every whim (like a couple of others on here) and are distressed at witnessing the nascent stirrings of the 'peasants'' revolt. You should be ashamed.

Did I just read this right ? The army has once again handled a situation in the worst possible manner and posters such as smedly are blaming the students ?

Give me a break, the junta are idiots, no propaganda is going to change that.

+1

The army did not lie this time tho...

They had to close for maintenance... of the paper shredder... has been working overtime at the park office since the mess started... :)

2 wrongs dont make a right - however in Thailand there are very little rights...
FACT: The fact that the Junta is quelling demonstrations before they happen does seem to be keeping the country a lot more peaceful than it was previously...
Is it right? No when compared to democractic counries back home no, there is no freedom of speech here and its not a far cry from the Chinese regime...

However... all previous governments resulted in many deaths, riots, burning down malls, corruption, rice schemes and all manner of nightmares....

Thais are not the best at self control and i see the current Junta more of a parenting system, not allowing its children to go out and play afterdark or cause problems...

Its treating society like children, maybe because that's what they still really are, education is far cry here really... Lets face it, this country is not ready for democracy if it cant even function on 1 cylinder of reason and respect for one another... or they can be brain washed and herded like sheep so easily...

Edited by djlest

Where were these whinging, bleating prats during the rice corruption?

I assume you are from a country whose people fought hard for their democracy over many decades and yet you refer to those of the same ilk aka 'democracy activists' 'whinging bleating orats' (oh, 'prat, you must be English and have never heard of the Tolpuddle Martyrs and their like?).

You came to this country expecting to be feted by little smiling peasants catering to your every whim (like a couple of others on here) and are distressed at witnessing the nascent stirrings of the 'peasants'' revolt. You should be ashamed.

Think he's talking about the the anti-corruption people on this forum coming out of the woodwork.

"Thugs"

I'm sure that IF calling a group of people Thugs; was a problem. Then the people who manage this web site would have deleted the word.

I have seen much worse, by many people on this site; over 100's or 1000's of topics.

Law that was broken is that you cannot have more then five people protesting together.

I understand that you believe that these kids are not doing anything wrong( I also agree); but to try to scare John, with liable laws, is 100 % wrong. The liable laws in Thialand ( If you say you don't like the green shirt that I am wearing ) I could take you to court. I'm not even sure if there is a translation for this word in the Thai language ?

Cool mate, I hear you, what I was trying to say although possible poorly articulated, was John used the label "thugs" not me, and the English dictionary defines thugs as to exactly what I have written, My aim was most certainly not to frighten John from commenting but to simply let him know that considering the litigious nature of the land and how the legal system is being manipulated to some peoples agenda, remember these students are smart, among them political science students, law students, and a lawyer.

Now one could call my next suggestion as semantics or simply outlining definitive points of law which should be very definitive by nature, that being, Were the students simply on transit? if so traveling is not breaking the 5 person law, had the students started to protest or were they questioned by media and answered with an intension? now intension is different to committing the act, yes or no?

John has all the rights to comment as he wishes within the parameters of TVF, cool, I was simply making a point, cheers to you and Johnthumbsup.gif

2 wrongs dont make a right - however in Thailand there are very little rights...

FACT: The fact that the Junta is quelling demonstrations before they happen does seem to be keeping the country a lot more peaceful than it was previously...

Is it right? No when compared to democractic counries back home no, there is no freedom of speech here and its not a far cry from the Chinese regime...

However... all previous governments resulted in many deaths, riots, burning down malls, corruption, rice schemes and all manner of nightmares....

Thais are not the best at self control and i see the current Junta more of a parenting system, not allowing its children to go out and play afterdark or cause problems...

Its treating society like children, maybe because that's what they still really are, education is far cry here really... Lets face it, this country is not ready for democracy if it cant even function on 1 cylinder of reason and respect for one another... or they can be brain washed and herded like sheep so easily...

Judging from their actions, the people currently running the show lack education AND common sense.

Thailand and the Thai are ready for democracy, they have been for several decades. Don't for one minute think lack of education is a problem preventing democracy, that is so far from the truth that it must be propaganda.

The "seven Kings" park was NOT closed for the day because of the would be corruption... Nothing in fact to do with money corruption. ( This one item just goes to show the complete stupidity of Larry the Lamb Farangs) What do you guys think happens here, ? The corruption uncovered here was to do with certain trusted people putting the hammers on contractors for brown envelopes.... this happens everywhere . They have been caught and right this minute are waiting for their punishments which I am sure will be very severe. Som Nam Naa....

The park has been closed to stop some activist students who are backed by militant Red Shirts, yes to stop them taking over the park in some sort of peoples protest. Please think back to May 1973... I'm very sure no-one except Mr Thaksin and his crony's want a re-run of that terrible event. If the park is closed ... no attempted take over AND no nervous young soldier boy accidentally shooting up some naive students.

Well done to this present government to see what was happening and very cleverly putting a halt to this Red Shirt maneuver. Thaksin fails again......

The "seven Kings" park was NOT closed for the day because of the would be corruption... Nothing in fact to do with money corruption. ( This one item just goes to show the complete stupidity of Larry the Lamb Farangs) What do you guys think happens here, ? The corruption uncovered here was to do with certain trusted people putting the hammers on contractors for brown envelopes.... this happens everywhere . They have been caught and right this minute are waiting for their punishments which I am sure will be very severe. Som Nam Naa....

The park has been closed to stop some activist students who are backed by militant Red Shirts, yes to stop them taking over the park in some sort of peoples protest. Please think back to May 1973... I'm very sure no-one except Mr Thaksin and his crony's want a re-run of that terrible event. If the park is closed ... no attempted take over AND no nervous young soldier boy accidentally shooting up some naive students.

Well done to this present government to see what was happening and very cleverly putting a halt to this Red Shirt maneuver. Thaksin fails again......

So you admit the reason given for closing the park was a lie and you clearly have no problem with that. Says it all.

you nailed it with that post, 100% correct

The most accurate and informative post on this thread by a country mile, it was not coinsidence that the two redshirt leaders where detained last week either

Like I said earlier in this thread - there are very divisive elements still active in this country and they need to monitored and their activities kept well under control, we have all seen how things can escalate here anfd Mr T would stop at nothing to make it happen as we have clearly seen in the past - the man has very deep pockets and score to settle

I have no problem with the current government. We have had a couple years of peace which is much better than the few years before with the red and yellow shirts constantly bickering and getting nothing done while holding the country at ransom. I would much prefer a country under martial law than one where corruption reigns under the guise of 'democracy'.

Would you prefer a democracy? Look at the biggest democracy in the world who are a shining example of what democracy can bring. They are corrupt to the core. They start wars and kill people over complete lies...apprx. 1 million dead in Iraq while liberating them and destabilizing the entire region. Democracy is an illusion, it's just capitalism and the government is bought and paid for by the elite...meanwhile people go to the polls every 4 years thinking they are participating in government lol.

Look at Singapore. NOT a democracy and a very well run country with almost zero crime and very safe to walk the streets etc.and they don't put up with any nonsense there.

I think the democracy experiment has failed. One of the biggest reasons is people are too stupid to vote properly. They don't educate themselves properly and they vote for whoever promises jobs or whatever bribe is offered to get in power.