Honeysuckle (no not that kind I mean the plant)

Rookiescot

First of all apologies if this is in the wrong section.

As title suggests I would like to grow Honeysuckle (Sai Nam Peung) here in Thailand. However all the "garden centers" here in Nong Khai that I can find all say "no have". One guy actually had a lengthy conversation with my wife asking why farrangs want this plant. Its a weed according to him. His advice was to go into the jungle and find my own.

Does anyone have any idea where I can get Honeysuckle in or near Nong Khai ? Short of actually going into the jungle that is.

There are about 100 different Honeysuckle species (Loniceria spp.). Some are shrubs which more unlikely to become weeds species unless birds and wildlife spread it via the seeds. The vine is often a weed and a very difficult weed to eradicate or even control unless very heavy duty herbicides are used. Manual removal /control is often not an option. Loniceria japonica is particularly common as a pest species . If you must have it - be responsible and keep it in a pot on your veranda where it cannot escape.

There are about 100 different Honeysuckle species (Loniceria spp.). Some are shrubs which more unlikely to become weeds species unless birds and wildlife spread it via the seeds. The vine is often a weed and a very difficult weed to eradicate or even control unless very heavy duty herbicides are used. Manual removal /control is often not an option. Loniceria japonica is particularly common as a pest species . If you must have it - be responsible and keep it in a pot on your veranda where it cannot escape.

Wow, you know your stuff. Anyone who knows the Latin names for plants certainly gets my respect :)

I need to make clear I don't want to introduce or use any foreign variety of honeysuckle.

The reason I want honeysuckle is to grow it along the walls and railings of our garden to give us some privacy. Plus I have childhood memories of the fantastic smell. The house is surrounded on 2 sides by a concrete road and on the other 2 by my neighbors gardens.

Would growing it here really cause issues? I'm starting to have second thoughts.

we have a cracker of a honey-suckle type of tree,with the most wonderfull smelling flower.they more or less flower all the yr.but they do grow high if you dont trim them.

tell the wife its a yellow flower with a thai name sounding like JUMPI.

If you can get down to Khon Kaen towards the end of January (don't know the exact dates yet), there is a big agricultural fair at Khon Kaen University. Its a week long event with growers from all over Thailand selling all kinds of plants(except lemon trees!). Can't guarantee anything but we have purchased a few things in the past that we had never seen in Thailand before.

I've grown it in Chiangmai. I'm not an expert, but it looked much like the ordinary English honeysuckle to me As far as I remember, it didn't grow very well, but was overgrown by a firecracker vine (puang set). Now that really is a weed, but it's a lovely one.

Like this?

My wife found it growing in a garden centre. The owner wouldn't sell it because he said it is difficult to find but he broke a bit off with some roots on. It was easy to grow and they get very big.

That's a fantastic looking plant mate. Looks really healthy.