App to read e.books on notebook computer

scorecard

I'm old, I'm not a techie person and about this specific subject my knowledge is zero.

I've decided to start buying e.books for the overall convenience and I've established that it's easy to download a suitable free app for tablets (which I don't own) and smartphones (my phone is an old simple function mobile, all I need) to read e.books, but my preference is to read the books on my new Lenovo Yoga notebook.

This is where I've become lost, I can't seem to get a clear understanding of what app to download onto my Lenovo to read e.books.

I would prefer an app which allows the reader to highlight sections to cut and paste / print, for other purposes, if that's possible.

Any guidance very much appreciated. Thanks.

I just downloaded and tried the kindle reader. My first impression was that it's functionality is very limited to the Kindle's libraries. There is a free e-book reader and e-book manager which I use for several years: Calibre E-book manager. It enables you to see all kinds of information about your e-books, edit the way you want it, you can download newspapers with it, you can connect your smartphone, tablet, e-book reader with it and sync the books. Unfortunately it doesn't come with it's own reader anymore.

If you use Windows 10 or 8, there are some apps which you can download and use from the Windows store: Reader, DL Reader and Fiction Book Reader.

In Reader, you can highlight tekst and copy this and paste in order to print it.

Fiction Book Reader and DL Reader are mainly for reading books, and from those two Fiction Book Reader is very nice.

I just looked in the Windows Store from my Windows 10 computer and there are many new e-book readers. I think the best is, if you are using Windows 10, download and try them in order to find out the best for you... all of them will come with exiting features...

I just have Kindle and Calibre installed on my Win10. They are both entirely free and very configurable.

Kindle Reader works well. Just copy your ebooks to the Kindle folder on Win10 and they will open just like on a portable device. Also link it to your Amazon account for any paid for books, but many are downloadable elsewhere.

Calibre is free open source tool that that create and manage ebook libraries and save them in format needed.

I bought a Barnes & Noble Nook Ebook reader a few weeks ago and it was the best investment I have ever made.

It has a 9 inch screen and using the free Calibre program I can read Ebooks in virtually any format, I can also download through wifi newspapers, magazines, books from the B & N library. I can watch movies and play games on it.

Mine is the 16 Gb version and it also has a micro SD slot for expansion which the Kindle does not.

It used to be on this site http://www.ebookreaderthailand.com/category.php?id=2 for about 7,550 thb but I bought mine online with Ebay from the UK for about 2,300 baht less including postage.

Three small drawbacks

1 It doesn't come with a holder but neither does the Kindle

2 The battery doesn't last as long as the Kindle but I charge mine every other day. It comes with a charger and you can also plug it into a usb port on your computer.

3 It is a little heavier than the Kindle but it has a bigger screen 9 inch v 7 inch.

I bought a Barnes & Noble Nook Ebook reader a few weeks ago and it was the best investment I have ever made.

It has a 9 inch screen and using the free Calibre program I can read Ebooks in virtually any format, I can also download through wifi newspapers, magazines, books from the B & N library. I can watch movies and play games on it.

Mine is the 16 Gb version and it also has a micro SD slot for expansion which the Kindle does not.

It used to be on this site http://www.ebookreaderthailand.com/category.php?id=2 for about 7,550 thb but I bought mine online with Ebay from the UK for about 2,300 baht less including postage.

Three small drawbacks

1 It doesn't come with a holder but neither does the Kindle

2 The battery doesn't last as long as the Kindle but I charge mine every other day. It comes with a charger and you can also plug it into a usb port on your computer.

3 It is a little heavier than the Kindle but it has a bigger screen 9 inch v 7 inch.

4. It isn't a laptop which is what the OP asked about

I just downloaded and tried the kindle reader. My first impression was that it's functionality is very limited to the Kindle's libraries. There is a free e-book reader and e-book manager which I use for several years: Calibre E-book manager. It enables you to see all kinds of information about your e-books, edit the way you want it, you can download newspapers with it, you can connect your smartphone, tablet, e-book reader with it and sync the books. Unfortunately it doesn't come with it's own reader anymore.

I'm using Calibre for all my e-books, and it definitely comes with it's own e-book viewer, or reader.

post-8155-0-83813900-1449583989_thumb.jp

Archived