Russian Nabbed for Marijuana and Overstay in Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

Russian Nabbed for Marijuana and Overstay in Pattaya

PATTAYA -Russian National Sergey Buchakov, 33 has been arrested and faces narcotics charges and deportation after being caught with both marijuana and a long-expired visa.

The Pattaya Mail reported that Mr.Sergey Buchakov was picked up by Chonburi Immigration Police at the Jomtien Season House. A search of his room and baggage uncovered a small bag of marijuana.

Upon inspection of his Russian’s passport immigration officials discovered he had overstayed his visa by 354 days.

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2015-12-07

Is it just me that finds weed smokers are no prob ,but drunks are.Recon Booze is more harmful to others.

I believe that's a widely known fact.

Governments generally dont like drugs that grow in the ground and are used unrefined as they are difficult to control and tax, They much prefer to support alcoholic drinks that are produced in factories or require special equipment/procedures/transportation, which makes them much easier to control and tax.

Marijuana is a particular problem in that it grows very well here and at most only requires natural drying to make it immediately usable. Grow it, dry it and you can sell it anywhere straight out of a plastic bag. You dont even need scales.

Is it just me that finds weed smokers are no prob ,but drunks are.Recon Booze is more harmful to others.

I believe that's a widely known fact.

Governments generally dont like drugs that grow in the ground and are used unrefined as they are difficult to control and tax, They much prefer to support alcoholic drinks that are produced in factories or require special equipment/procedures/transportation, which makes them much easier to control and tax.

Marijuana is a particular problem in that it grows very well here and at most only requires natural drying to make it immediately usable. Grow it, dry it and you can sell it anywhere straight out of a plastic bag. You dont even need scales.

It's not so much governments as breweries

How do these guys do it , nearly a year overstay , surely they realize a price has to be paid.

If someone is on the long overstay it means that he or she is probably hiding from police of their home country.

Thailand is a well known hub and hideout for criminals from all over the world.

For foreign criminals It's easy to hide over here in Thailand.

There are three favorite places for them to live:

• Pattaya
  • Phuket
  • Samui

Many of them are able to live in Thailand for years, with expired visas and passports, without visiting an Immigration Office, without leaving Thailand, without crossing the border.

Many of them have committed various crimes in their home country, are on the Interpol list.

I dont think so. The revenue from alcohol tax is colossal and quite easy to collect as the manufacturers and shops do all the work.

Collecting tax from people growing and selling drugs consisting of dried plants would be much harder, not least because anyone with a bit of land or a condo balcony could easily produce it themselves.

But yes, the breweries would probably not be in favour of decriminalisation either.

Is it just me that finds weed smokers are no prob ,but drunks are.Recon Booze is more harmful to others.So now he gets a free ride home. Ah Well,security threat over.

Perhaps if you experienced the company of a weed smoker who had smoked so much that he was in the same state as a "drunk" would be you may have a different opinion. Try comparing someone who has smoked one joint with someone who's had one beer, you know, like for like. Having a beer doesn't make you a drunk.

How do these guys do it , nearly a year overstay , surely they realize a price has to be paid.

Easy if you're a wanted criminal in your home country . Better to overstay in Thailand than sit inside a Russian prison with lousy food and live a miserable life.

I believe there is a solid police precedent for the Russian to walk on the marijuana charge, but it might leave a nasty taste in his mouth.

Anyone remember the case of the two Russian women caught smoking joints on Pattaya beach? They were taken off somewhere (who knows, perhaps a Love Motel?) by the police, and the case was quietly dropped, amidst the usual swirl and stench of hidden agendas and unaccountability.

Is it just me that finds weed smokers are no prob ,but drunks are.Recon Booze is more harmful to others.So now he gets a free ride home. Ah Well,security threat over.

Perhaps if you experienced the company of a weed smoker who had smoked so much that he was in the same state as a "drunk" would be you may have a different opinion. Try comparing someone who has smoked one joint with someone who's had one beer, you know, like for like. Having a beer doesn't make you a drunk.

Well like many here I've been annoyed by Drunks not Herbies so I'll stick with my opplnion ,not the odd exception.

Well like many here I've been annoyed by Drunks not Herbies so I'll stick with my opplnion ,not the odd exception.

He's completely clueless. One drink can contain more alcohol than another same as one spliff can have more THC than another. He's just having his little fantasy based on prejudice and (clearly) ignorance.

...what led them to him at this particular time.....hmmm...

It was the Immigration police not local or Tourist police, so presumably they were just checking on over-stayers from some list.

I suspect that a detailed examination of any over-stayer's accommodation would reveal something or another that is illegal, if only traces of illicit work.

I dont think so. The revenue from alcohol tax is colossal and quite easy to collect as the manufacturers and shops do all the work.

Collecting tax from people growing and selling drugs consisting of dried plants would be much harder, not least because anyone with a bit of land or a condo balcony could easily produce it themselves.

But yes, the breweries would probably not be in favour of decriminalisation either.

Never, ever underestimate the brewery lobby.

Clearly someone who knows absolutely nothing about marijuana.

Yes, weed smokers are known to get gobby and go looking for a fight after an evening on the bong, John Lennon was notorious for it at Liverpool matches, if you play "Imagine" backwards you can hear him chanting

"You're going home in a f***ing ambulance" and "You'll never walk again".

Edited by lemonjelly