Anyone here trade American stocks? Dow rips 368 points on Friday

Sojuncoke

I own stocks but I'm not an active trader. I buy stocks where I believe in the company and stand pat unless something changes long term.

Commodities and especially oil took a dump and drug the market down today. Think about this. If you remove the energy stocks from the equation, company profits are up about 7% this year. That's higher than the overall economy growth by about double. I think that bodes well for stocks as the prices are about midway between the last six years' highs and lows.

I don't see a big move by the Fed, but the Fed is the Fed. They like to do the unexpected, seemingly to keep people in the dark and unable to make a lot of money off their moves. They are always secretive.

The American economy is strong right now and growing, but inflation doesn't seem to be a problem so I'd have to wonder about what the hurry is to raise rates. Home interest rates are still under 4% despite good regional recoveries.

The bottom line is that I don't try to see the future but rather concentrate on corporate fundamentals and try to ride out the swings.

Cheers.

Archived