Nursing home in Pattaya

akentryan

There is now a nursing home in Pattaya. We just moved my 86-year old father-in-law from Pattaya Memorial Hospital yesterday. The cost at the hospital was about 20,000 baht per day. The nursing home costs 24.000 baht per month. Plus you buy your own supplies and medicines and bring them in yourself. No outrageous hospital markups. In all fairness the ambulance from PMH to the nursing home near Lake Maprachan was a thrifty 600 baht and there were 3 attendants on board. Can't get a taxi for that. The facility is owned by a career medical person and has 30 beds. At present 20 are occupied and mostly by farangs. Taking care of the aged and dieing just became at lot easier on family members.

You might want to provide a name or link, or whatever information you can find, in the medical forum as questions are often asked about such facilities (they are few and far between in Thailand even for Thai - much less so for foreigners)

The link suggest 40,000 per month or 50,000 if Western food is required.

It does. I suspect that the link may not be for the same place.

Still, good to see that these places are multiplying as I think there will be more and more demand for them over time.

I hope they dont all become hugely corrupt and overpriced as many seem to be in the UK.

Another need that isnt catered for at all in Thailand, yet has great demand in parts of Europe and the USA, is condos/villages exclusively for older people. I would be delighted to move to a condo building that never has anyone under 50 in it, and only co-owners in residence with no tenants, and I would pay a significant premium to do so.

Still, good to see that these places are multiplying as I think there will be more and more demand for them over time.

I hope they dont all become hugely corrupt and overpriced as many seem to be in the UK.

Another need that isnt catered for at all in Thailand, yet has great demand in parts of Europe and the USA, is condos/villages exclusively for older people. I would be delighted to move to a condo building that never has anyone under 50 in it, and only co-owners in residence with no tenants, and I would pay a significant premium to do so.

There's place not far from where I live that seems to fit the bill, it's a large compound with individual villas/cottages set in a quite heavily wooded and attractive park like setting - all buildings and walkways interconnected by wheel chair ramps. Mrs CM said it's a private home for older people and the sitting chair on every porch seemed to support that . In the centre of the compound which covers many acres is a series of walks, bridges and low rise buildings, a tree post sign pointed to a pool, another to a clinic, another to therapy and so on. It's a all grade A and very appealing visually, most people would like it I'm sure - I have no idea of costs but would be interested to know, it looks pricey.

Details are here: http://www.careresortchiangmai.com/index.php?viewID=1

I'm sure if there was much demand for such housing it would exist. You might be willing to pay a premium but your typical pattayan wouldn't as it would cut into his beer and entertainment money.

There's place not far from where I live that seems to fit the bill, it's a large compound with individual villas/cottages set in a quite heavily wooded and attractive park like setting - all buildings and walkways interconnected by wheel chair ramps. Mrs CM said it's a private home for older people and the sitting chair on every porch seemed to support that . In the centre of the compound which covers many acres is a series of walks, bridges and low rise buildings, a tree post sign pointed to a pool, another to a clinic, another to therapy and so on. It's a all grade A and very appealing visually, most people would like it I'm sure - I have no idea of costs but would be interested to know, it looks pricey.

That place seems good and probably pricey as you say, though not the sort of place I was thinking of. I would like a perfectly normal condo building or village that simply has no one under 50 in it. I dont (yet) need any sort of care or assistance and hopefully wont do for another 10-20 years or more. There are plenty of such places in Europe and the UK and the USA, though I understand that the Thai love of extended families and living on top of each other is entirely contrary to this (my idea of utter hell is living with an extended family under one roof).

Of course that need for care or assistance may come at some point and would have to be addressed then. The places mentioned in this thread seem to cover that nicely.

I'm sure if there was much demand for such housing it would exist. You might be willing to pay a premium but your typical pattayan wouldn't as it would cut into his beer and entertainment money.

I'm not saying that everyone would want it, but I'm sure there would be a real demand. I know dozens of people in my own building who would like to live somewhere like that.

In some ways it does exist already: look at the Norwegian group places on Pratumnak, and much of Hua Hin/Cha Am for that matter.

What's lacking is just specific rules prohibiting younger people and families from living in the building/village. And that lack is probably just down to most Thai management's inability to formulate proper rules and enforce them.

There would not actually need to be any premium paid for such places at all as only having older residents doesn't cost a normal building or village any more. In fact buildings with exclusively older residents would probably require much less maintenance and cleaning that those with children and families and younger people.

That place seems good and probably pricey as you say, though not the sort of place I was thinking of. I would like a perfectly normal condo building or village that simply has no one under 50 in it. I dont (yet) need any sort of care or assistance and hopefully wont do for another 10-20 years or more. There are plenty of such places in Europe and the UK and the USA, though I understand that the Thai love of extended families and living on top of each other is entirely contrary to this (my idea of utter hell is living with an extended family under one roof).

Of course that need for care or assistance may come at some point and would have to be addressed then. The places mentioned in this thread seem to cover that nicely

Theres an over 50s village planned for hua hin based on the Australian model of retiree villages,community centre,pool ,meals,outings social gathering etc etc

,buy your own villa/condo, and maintenance depends on level of care,

they are hoping to break ground next year,no website,just a whisper around town