My experience with Thai Consumer Protection

tmaker

WOW .....

that is how to describe my encounter with them.

went to OCPB - Office of Consumer Protection Board regarding my case - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/854722-just-fantastic/

made a few phone calls to 1166 ... managed to get the correct location to submit my complain.

so I went to see them in Chonburi on 20/11/5 and they promised to call me back within a week.

true enough,the called me a few days later and asked me to go over for a meeting with the developer on the 1st Dec

guessed the developer got a massive grilling from them that day and he agreed to refund all my monies ,albeit in 2 installment. ( i asked for immediate refund but the officer says it is better to settle for whatever that is best )

so, i got my 1st 25,000 Thb yesterday and now waiting for my balance of 100,000 by April next year.

the officer said that the developer CANNOT RENEGE on his words as this will be a fairly big offence.

so,one issue finally settled.

Good news!

Although i haven't had any direct dealings with OCPB, i know 3 other people who have and in each case, they have acted perfectly for the complainant.

Its a shame that this thread likely won't have much response as there is little to rant about...........................wink.png

Recently used OCPB, in conjunction with RTP to seek a refund from a scam competitor TV company in Bangkok not True Visions. All the experts told me forget your money its gone, many had been scammed but too lazy to do anything other than bitch to fellow farangs. Both Government departments were polite and efficient. As soon as the guilty party received the prosecution report from RTP the money was back in my bank within 24 hours.

Message in my story we never compliment was meets or exceeds our expectations just remember the bad times.

I knew a person (now deceased) who was taking his dispute with a developer to court and was shot point blank by a thug hired by the developer who, by-the-way, was a wanted criminal in the UK but enjoyed protection here.

This is Thailand ... be careful. Consumer protection doesn't deal a bullet through the spine.

Is there an OCPB office in Chiang Mai? Not that I complain much, but would be handy to know........smile.png

There is an OCPB office in every city hall in Thailand, and they do a tremendous job.

Have needed them several times in the past, sure you will not be surprised about that, and each time it took them nothing more than a single call to solve a dispute that was sometimes running for months already.

I now also note that if I have an issue with a reputable company, many times just mentioning the name of OCPB will end the issue there and then.

I knew a person (now deceased) who was taking his dispute with a developer to court and was shot point blank by a thug hired by the developer who, by-the-way, was a wanted criminal in the UK but enjoyed protection here.

This is Thailand ... be careful. Consumer protection doesn't deal a bullet through the spine.

I wasn't raised as a sheep, so will never behave as one.

Is there an OCPB office in Chiang Mai? Not that I complain much, but would be handy to know........smile.png

There is an OCPB office in every city hall in Thailand, and they do a tremendous job.

Have needed them several times in the past, sure you will not be surprised about that, and each time it took them nothing more than a single call to solve a dispute that was sometimes running for months already.

I now also note that if I have an issue with a reputable company, many times just mentioning the name of OCPB will end the issue there and then.

Thanks - good to knowsmile.png

It may have been worth pushing for monthly payments. You then know a month in whether his stated intention is good, rather than waiting 4 months? Penalty interest would have been another good bargaining point.

But, if his word is good, you'll be happy in April.

Well done, and I hope it all works as it should.

Lest we forget Donald and all the scum surrounding his case...which went nowhere

I actually did mentioned that i should asked for penalty and/or losses on interest or re-imbursement for my one year rental as I told them that another project ( by another developer) started this year (yes, this year-2015 ) and the buyers are already moving in.

but that is to get my point across used it as my bargaining chip as i only wants my monies back.any other additional claims will drag this case longer..

and also I asked for :

1. full payment - cannot meet

2. monthly installments - cannot meet

3.staggered payments - any amount - cannot meet

so the officer requested me to accept the developer proposal as it'll take time if this case goes to court.

case closed - i hope.

next will be the clearing/selling off of all my items here....

and then go back.