Good service from any company?

AyG

Obviously, your experiences have been different from mine.

There is no question that highly skilled workers in the building trades exist in Thailand. That fact is self-evident from the many fine examples of traditional Thai houses, to the ostentatious mansions of the newly rich.

The complaints of so many farangs that they are unable to hire competent workmen are perennial.

Problems for newcomers can be overcome by learning from the experience of those who have lived here long enough to understand how things are done.

You can indeed get good and capable people to work for you, but there's a right way, a wrong way, and a Thai way to go about it.

If you don't listen to the advice of farangs who have been here a while, you will get lessons from Thais that you won't forget anytime soon.

The ostentatious mansions look good from afar, but when you get close you see all the imperfections and often they are numerous. Botched paint jobs, unhermetic window frames, various things such as light switches and power outlets that are not level, ceiling cornices that aren't straight, tiles not at exactly the same height, walls not at a straight angle, corroded screws that then leak rust on any wall below, etc.

Come to Switzerland or Germany and look at newer (built in the last 20 years) high quality constructions there. Even people from France or UK are amazed.

The McMansions built in the US are no better than most of the upmarket residential construction projects here.

I don't know about Switzerland and Germany... the new buildings there are probably better than either the US or Thailand.

Most of the posts on this thread sound like they are from farangs who keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

The mistake being when told "yes" what they really mean is " I havent a clue but will do it the way I learnt off my Sisters, Mothers Aunties Nephews, Nieces Uncle etc etc

No I learnt pretty damn quick and built my own houses alone for the most part BUT try putting in 600 metres of wall by yourself and its simply way too much for one person....laying blocks tiling , electrics roofing no problem but my wall panels must weigh about 80kilos each...ok for the first few but after waist height you need minimum 4 people to get them in

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good builders are rare in TH once they have received full payement, they will never show up again. But there are a few exceptions doing a good job and also returning when something has to be corrected. Although we should not expect the same quality as in Western countries, the service should be better.

My best exeperience was for my kitchen from euro-design in Pattaya (farang management with excellent Thai employees)

dont know much about 5 star hotels, but every time i go in McDonalds, always waiting for F***** chips (french fries)well dont serve me the Bl*** y burger then,the time i get my fries the burger is cold, so i tried KFC, yep same D** thing, i give up

Serve you right for eating such crap......

It's a Thai thing. Because they use so much spice, it doesn't matter to them if the food is hot or cold.

dont know much about 5 star hotels, but every time i go in McDonalds, always waiting for F***** chips (french fries)well dont serve me the Bl*** y burger then,the time i get my fries the burger is cold, so i tried KFC, yep same D** thing, i give up

It's a Thai thing. Because they use so much spice, it doesn't matter to them if the food is hot or cold.

Well flench fly's have to be warm or they are inedable. For rice i also don't care much if it's warm or not, that is in Thailand.

But when we are with 2 persons in a restaurant i also want our food to be served together, ALL of it....Why can't they even do that in big restaurants with a whole kitchencrew?

Many times we have finished our whole dinner and still have to get some sidedishes. We don't care though, just ask the bill and tell them to discount those missing dishes.

Also many times we get the wrong food, it seems too hard for them to be a waiter.

Some places have the habit of bringing the rice out, sticking it in front of you, wait till its cold, then bring out the main. My wife always tells them to bring it together

She will not sit and wait all night for food either, has told staff on many occasions to bill us up for what we have had and forget the rest. Spoken quietly and nicely.

Ps. She always asks how many people are cooking the food, get an idea how long to wait.

Do what Thais do, just let it go ......

why would YOU do that "let it go " ? I feel your simple answer is a indication of your life style . you are probably the same crusty dude that sniffs his socks before second days use ......will never understand why people just accept and never try to change . if all were like you we would be living in a hole in the side of a mountain . but that is just me .....................

dude you just repeated a lie , or maybe you think what you just said is true ? good grief man time to start to think on your own ....................

German Star Alliance member Deutsche Lufthansa lost my luggage last year. THAI Airways picked it up from Frankfurt and delivered it to my address in Pattaya within 2 days, free of charge.

Your adress in Pattaya, You have posted on this forum many times about your wonderful life, with a wonderful ex. hooker, living the dream in SURIN.

2 places in BKK I can think of for food: Chokchai Steak House and that new-ish steak place above Fashion Place at Victory Monument. Always had good food/service at both.

Guess it also depends on where you live. In this smallish town I've rarely had bad service for any type of service provided. thumbsup.gif

dude you just repeated a lie , or maybe you think what you just said is true ? good grief man time to start to think on your own ....................

Which lie am I supposed to be repeating? McDonald's and KFC is crap food? Thais don't care if food is hot or cold? Good grief, try to be specific - I don't have a crystal ball set aside for you.

As for thinking on my own, I have a world patent ( expired ) to prove it. Look up AU PCT 00055.

Lobster between 2 slices of bread. What high-end dish is that? Just wondering, not criticizing.

According to the menu, Lobster Roll.

Lobster/crayfish ( same thing ) in a fresh bread roll on Salamanca Wharf in Hobart, Tasmania. One of the best lunches I've ever had, washed down with a cold bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. Foodies heaven.

Lobster between 2 slices of bread. What high-end dish is that? Just wondering, not criticizing.

Lobster/crayfish ( same thing ) in a fresh bread roll on Salamanca Wharf in Hobart, Tasmania. One of the best lunches I've ever had, washed down with a cold bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. Foodies heaven.

Lobsters and crayfish are not the same thing at all. Lobsters live in the sea for a start.

Lobsters and crayfish are not the same thing at all. Lobsters live in the sea for a start.

So do crayfish. Possibly you are confusing them with yabbies and marron, both of which are freshwater species.

Frozen crayfish are exported from Tasmania to the West Coast of America, where they appear on restaurant menus as lobster tails. Same with prawns from Carnarvon - they get to the USA and are called shrimp.

If you want to nitpick about nomenclature, try not to come the raw prawn.

Crayfish are a freshwater creature.

Correct. You'd better take it up with the Tasmanians, because that's what they call their lobsters.smile.png

They also have a giant freshwater crayfish in their rivers, don't know what they call them.

Edited by bazza40

I always get good service in homepro because I go with the wife who is known as a super complainer, I used to joke about the staff when they follow your every move whilst your walking round the store, but now after dealing with the wife complaining all the time they see us coming and do everything they can to avoid us (her)

and when the unlucky sales person has to help her they do anything they can to keep her happy!!.

Crayfish are a freshwater creature.

Correct. You'd better take it up with the Tasmanians, because that's what they call their lobsters.smile.png

You know those things you call Lobsters aren't really Lobsters, too, right?

No I don't - enlighten me. Try not to confuse me while you're so doingbiggrin.png

Edited by bazza40

Do what Thais do, just let it go ......

And thats the reason service is so bad. They dont/are afraid to complain. This face thing causes thais to put up with all kinds of problems instead of complaining.

Constructive criticism is unheard of.

There is no consumer protection that's why the poor service. No accountability because it's too hard to complain and vice versa. What a hoo haa when I attempted to return a saw that just would not cut ! And family embarrassment all round. But it was not the family's obligation to be embarrassed, it was the shop keeper's, but no embarrassment there ! Totally insane

Been here over 10 years, can count on one hand the amount of "bad" service incidents that I can re-call.

I also think its not that Thais tolerate it, they dont, they just seldom verbalise it, but vote with their feet and wallet and just wont go there or use it again, which has become my preferred course of action since living here.

Service is one thing but what do you do with faulty goods? Same?

No accountability because it's too hard to complain and vice versa. What a hoo haa when I attempted to return a saw that just would not cut ! And family embarrassment all round. But it was not the family's obligation to be embarrassed, it was the shop keeper's, but no embarrassment there ! Totally insane

So, the saw wouldn't cut. That's not the shop keeper's fault (or problem). It's the manufacturer's fault, and your problem.

2 places in BKK I can think of for food: Chokchai Steak House and that new-ish steak place above Fashion Place at Victory Monument. Always had good food/service at both.

Guess it also depends on where you live. In this smallish town I've rarely had bad service for any type of service provided. thumbsup.gif

I'm not impressed with chockchai steakhouse, have been to them in BKK and Pakchong.

The steak is not cooked medium and tough, the chicken came out of the microwave and was still cold inside. The T-bone was very greasy and inedable.

But for thai understandings it doesn't get much better then this, the Barbican was the only good place to eat decent steak but it's closed.

A langoustine is not a lobster but a lobster roll is a decent dish i would say.

I do miss the Barbican a lot, they served great food, good fishfillets with sauce and vegy, good steaks, all was good there. Only this restaurant knew what a good snapper-fillet is, no bones/skin, why the rest of Thailand can't cook that?