Good service from any company?

AyG

No accountability because it's too hard to complain and vice versa. What a hoo haa when I attempted to return a saw that just would not cut ! And family embarrassment all round. But it was not the family's obligation to be embarrassed, it was the shop keeper's, but no embarrassment there ! Totally insane

So, the saw wouldn't cut. That's not the shop keeper's fault (or problem). It's the manufacturer's fault, and your problem.

Not in my view. If the shopkeeper took responsibility and stood by the quality of the goods he sells to make money from then HE should return it to the manufacturer if it doesn't work. Definitely not my problem as I am the innocent party because the sale was exchanged for money in good faith that the purchase was worthy of the money asked for. Anything less is misrepresentation. If I am left with the problem (which seems to be your opinion), then it aint good service worthy of the money paid which is the topic of this thread i.e. Service in Thailand. I did not buy from the manufacturer, I bought from the shop premises. That is where the contract was completed. Because shopkeepers hold the same attitude as you, that is why there is no accountability and consequently poor service.

Note I said what the shopkeeper should do but this is Thailand I understand with little consumer protection and a pass the buck attitude which you conciously (or unwittingly) support

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No accountability because it's too hard to complain and vice versa. What a hoo haa when I attempted to return a saw that just would not cut ! And family embarrassment all round. But it was not the family's obligation to be embarrassed, it was the shop keeper's, but no embarrassment there ! Totally insane

So, the saw wouldn't cut. That's not the shop keeper's fault (or problem). It's the manufacturer's fault, and your problem.

Not in my view. If the shopkeeper took responsibility and stood by the quality of the goods he sells to make money from then HE should return it to the manufacturer if it doesn't work. Definitely not my problem as I am the innocent party because the sale was exchanged for money in good faith that the purchase was worthy of the money asked for. Anything less is misrepresentation. If I am left with the problem (which seems to be your opinion), then it aint good service worthy of the money paid which is the topic of this thread i.e. Service in Thailand. I did not buy from the manufacturer, I bought from the shop premises. That is where the contract was completed. Because shopkeepers hold the same attitude as you, that is why there is no accountability and consequently poor service.

Note I said what the shopkeeper should do but this is Thailand I understand with little consumer protection and a pass the buck attitude which you conciously (or unwittingly) support

(1) How do you reasonably expect the shopkeeper to be aware of the quality of every good that he sells? That's ludicrous.

(2) Why should he return it to the manufacturer? He doesn't have a problem with the good - YOU do. Of course, that could be because you're incompetent using that particular type of saw. That's neither the manufacturer's or the retailer's fault. Why should the retailer have to go to trouble and expense because you potentially can't use a saw properly?

(3) If you are an expert on using saws, why didn't you spot the problem before you bought it? And if you're not an expert, why didn't you do proper research beforehand to work out which brands work well?

(4) If you're too lazy to take the matter up with the manufacturer, then that should be the end of the matter. Pontificating pointlessly about what the shopkeeper should or should not do is ridiculous.

Try and take some personal responsibility for your life, rather than blame others. We don't live in some nanny state here.

And the latest bit of great service.............well Im a tree lover, palms in particular, I know all about them I know what happens when you try to transplant them and whats likely to live and not live and how their roots re-establish

Anyway long story short, bought a palm 3 months ago 4000 baht, you want to know its Borrassus Flabellifer ,when its roots are cut they will die and regrow from the root initiation zone at the base of the trunk, many ( but not all palms) do this.

So tree goes in the company didnt have to dig the hole as they really havent a clue I also back fill the hole and stick 2 sprinklers around it, water daily for a couple of months................no growth, I marked the emerging spear with a black marker pen so I know no growth...........wait another month and it goes brown and is dead.

Go to the shop today and see the ones they have left in stock about 6 of them........four are also dead, no growth.

Wife calls to tell them..............guarantee is only 2 months which is odd as when bought he would guarantee and change as his words " it will be ok".... so............... eff off.

The owner also told my Wife only 1 other is dead which I know is a lie as I saw them at his shop today some still burning on the floor where they tried to get rid of them

Now roots will take longer than 2 months to really get going and top growth will follow, any guarantee would need to be at least 6 months but no timespan was mentioned when buying.

Told him its been dead about a month now but had to wait to be sure and see if top growth went brown or not as spears can often stay green for a long time before showing dead.

Nope dont care.

No problem............. for the other 2-300 trees I will be going elsewhere where they arent tawts. Total spend will be in the 1million baht region...............yes its big piece of land and yes I like my trees.

Edited by kannot

Go to Australia. Then you'll really learn what bad service is.

Example 1: 1-2 weeks to get an appointment at a car dealership for servicing, after which you'll be charged $120 an hour for some apprentice with acne.

Example 2: Getting the attention of a sales assistant in clothing stores. I think they take courses in how to avoid eye contact

Example 3: In most restaurants, expect your main course one to one and a half hours after ordering.

You are talking Bulls??t now if it not for Australia you would not be in thailand now can't stand d??k head like you that bag a great place like Australia get a life and you would be one of the dead heads that let your little head rule

Wow Bazza touched a nerve there

You're assuming an organism with a nervous system.

(1) How do you reasonably expect the shopkeeper to be aware of the quality of every good that he sells? That's ludicrous.

(2) Why should he return it to the manufacturer? He doesn't have a problem with the good - YOU do. Of course, that could be because you're incompetent using that particular type of saw. That's neither the manufacturer's or the retailer's fault. Why should the retailer have to go to trouble and expense because you potentially can't use a saw properly?

(3) If you are an expert on using saws, why didn't you spot the problem before you bought it? And if you're not an expert, why didn't you do proper research beforehand to work out which brands work well?

(4) If you're too lazy to take the matter up with the manufacturer, then that should be the end of the matter. Pontificating pointlessly about what the shopkeeper should or should not do is ridiculous.

Try and take some personal responsibility for your life, rather than blame others. We don't live in some nanny state here.

Thailand does not adopt a system of seller responsibility and that is my criticism. Sell anything without any consumer guarantees (the kind that operate successfully in other countries) and that lowers the standard of goods sold. That is ludicrous in your eyes?

1) Yes I do expect the shopkeeper to be obliging to his customer first and not his supplier. If he did then his customer base would be very loyal. The problem in Thailand is that there are so many people that it doesn't matter if some are disgruntled because there's always someone else to sell inferior goods to without any penalty apart from customers not returning which tells him nothing because as far as he is concerned everyone is happy because he doesn't hear otherwise.

2) If the manufacturer never gets to hear about the quality of their products because there is no feedback from the seller then they also think all is well. The seller does not have a problem with the goods because he is not using said goods. But he should accept a problem if his customer fairly has one. It is not right to turn the problem around and blame the customer as you are trying to do to establish competency. You sound like a shopkeeper yourself. If so whose side are you on? Why do you assume I can't use a saw properly? I have done enough carpentry to know that a good saw will last years and is what was used successfully long before power-saws ever came about. What was sold to me was rubbish so I took it back and left it on his counter to do whatever he liked with. Whoever took it up after me would have thrown it out. Maybe the seller might question that brand now.You make some strange statements. Why should the seller not test it himself after a complaint and take it up with the manufacturer? Simple answer is because he has a duty of care obviously unheard of in Thailand and also by you.

3) How do you spot a problem with a saw before you buy it? Ask the shopkeeper if I can try it out first? No you have to buy it first to do that as well you know. Researching brands? All brands were unfamiliar to me in Thailand. I subsequently bought the most expensive model which was the only guide I assumed would be of better quality and it was a little better but nothing near the quality I was used to in my home country.

4)Thank you for pointing out that in your esteemed opinion I am too lazy to take it up with the manufacturer. So you want me to go to China? It is not my place I say again and you seem a little hard of hearing; my legal contract with exchange of goods for money in good faith was with the seller, not the manufacturer, so he is legally bound to supply quality for money, and address dissatisfaction by either replacement or refund.

This lifts the game of both supplier and manufacturer. These systems operate by law in other countries and so I am happy to voice an opinion that such systems should at least start to be embraced in Thailand too, rather than the laissez faire system coupled with corruption that exits today.

I'm rather surprised that you are doing your best to support and perpetuate the legally retarded system of sale of goods and virtually non existent consumer protection laws in this country. And you do that by trying to insult me that I am not taking personal responsibility for my life when actually I am standing up for it rather than being a shrinking violet and letting folks get away with shoddy goods and shoddy attitude with no checks and balances, which remarkably you are OK with.

Do what Thais do, just let it go ......

And thats the reason service is so bad. They dont/are afraid to complain. This face thing causes thais to put up with all kinds of problems instead of complaining.

Constructive criticism is unheard of.

There is no consumer protection that's why the poor service. No accountability because it's too hard to complain and vice versa. What a hoo haa when I attempted to return a saw that just would not cut ! And family embarrassment all round. But it was not the family's obligation to be embarrassed, it was the shop keeper's, but no embarrassment there ! Totally insane

I've bought saws from Pumpkin and Indy and they both won't cut, terrible quality. Stanley is a good brand though.

For tools never buy cheap brands and sure no Thai . Better pay a little more. Homepro-brand saw is also not bad. I never returned crappy tools though, would rather give it back to the shopowner but then he'll sell it again so i just threw them away.

Do what Thais do, just let it go ......

And thats the reason service is so bad. They dont/are afraid to complain. This face thing causes thais to put up with all kinds of problems instead of complaining.

Constructive criticism is unheard of.

There is no consumer protection that's why the poor service. No accountability because it's too hard to complain and vice versa. What a hoo haa when I attempted to return a saw that just would not cut ! And family embarrassment all round. But it was not the family's obligation to be embarrassed, it was the shop keeper's, but no embarrassment there ! Totally insane

I've bought saws from Pumpkin and Indy and they both won't cut, terrible quality. Stanley is a good brand though.

For tools never buy cheap brands and sure no Thai . Better pay a little more. Homepro-brand saw is also not bad. I never returned crappy tools though, would rather give it back to the shopowner but then he'll sell it again so i just threw them away.

Thanks. If I had seen Stanley I would have bought it, but nothing familiar so learnt my lesson.

Somehow consumer guarantee (which simply means the goods have to do the job they are sold to do), is looked down on by some as Nanny State interference. I see it as keeping people honest

They all are mediocre, even working on a 20 million baht condo or house, it's hopeless !

The situation is only hopeless if you're clueless.

Agreed, the ordinary tradesmen are mediocre - but what else would you expect for 300 baht per day?

If you are willing to pay 500 baht you can get skilled craftsmen whose work is equal to, or better than, their counterparts in western countries.

For a long time I've been doing renovations and additions to the houses we've lived in and several rental properties that my wife owns. I do almost all of the carpentry work myself, but hire masons, electricians, plumbers etc. when needed. My experiences with them have been, for the most part, very good.

A total condemnation of Thais who work in the building trades is unfair and inaccurate and shouldn't go unchallenged.

I beg to differ, I would be relatively happy with mediocre tradesmen ! (mediocre means "average").

There might be some who are good, but the vast majority of tradesmen here are about on the same level as "do it yourself learnt from internet", minus the thought before action.

From about 20 tradesmen I used so far, about 3 were okay, among which one is a Westerner and another actually just ordered people around, 2 were mediocre and the rest were just purely useless.

Obviously, your experiences have been different from mine.

There is no question that highly skilled workers in the building trades exist in Thailand. That fact is self-evident from the many fine examples of traditional Thai houses, to the ostentatious mansions of the newly rich.

The complaints of so many farangs that they are unable to hire competent workmen are perennial.

Problems for newcomers can be overcome by learning from the experience of those who have lived here long enough to understand how things are done.

You can indeed get good and capable people to work for you, but there's a right way, a wrong way, and a Thai way to go about it.

If you don't listen to the advice of farangs who have been here a while, you will get lessons from Thais that you won't forget anytime soon.

sorry mate but you are very far off base, have come across only a couple of competent builders/tradespeople, there are no tradesmen as such as they dont have apprenticeships/trade schools here, usually just a mix of family members although some are good. I was in the building industry for close to 40 years so I know what I an talking about, something that looks good from a distance can be total sh*t up close, have you seen inside some of these huge (upper class) buildings, water leaks in the ceilings, sh*tful paint jobs and lack of preparation, nearly every wall out of square, internal and external corners falling away, suggest you buy yourself a good pair of glasses or remove your rose coloured ones as there are sh*tloads of faults in these buildings when you know what to look for.

went into a paint depot to buy white ceiling paint, sorry no have, one week, must come from Bangkok(this was a trade centre too), have grey, so tried 2 more, same thing, only stocked grey ceiling paint. Went to buy a good shampoo, sorry no have ran out, wont re stock, same with many everyday items, stores dont order more stock when it gets low they wait till it runs out then think about it for a few weeks, actually restocking to keep customers happy is the furtherest thing from their minds. Go into Tesco, they change the position of everything in the aisles every week so you can never find what you want, refuse to shop there anymore, go to big C, Macro or Tops, at least they dont make it hard for everyone. It seems that many shops simply dont like to have to spend more money buying in stock, they would rather stop selling that item or simply wait till they feel like getting it again, you just need to accept this in most cases. With builders, when you find a good one you keep using them, our builder is brilliant while all the others I have see are fairly incompetent and I recomend him to everyone. car dealerships the same, our toyota one does a great job with servicing and you can watch them do it from the comfort of an air conditioned area with food, drinks and icecream for the kids, also a computer plus its pretty quick. May not be a lot of ones that are great but there are a few if you look

Bloody hell, that's told him!!:lol:

Bloody hell, that's told him!!laugh.png

Yeah, spat the dummy! Regressive views is what keeps Thailand a third world country and the last thing it needs is foreign help with that.

Remember, if you have good service everywhere things would not be cheaper here.
Things would be over regulated and controlled, and people would be wary of possible lawsuits, but it would come with increased quality and service.

Your not going to get great quality or service consistently with cheap prices. It just does not wok that way.

Things would be over regulated and controlled, and people would be wary of possible lawsuits, but it would come with increased quality and service.

Your not going to get great quality or service consistently with cheap prices. It just does not wok that way.

There's a big difference between good service and crap service. Good service doesn't have to cost a lot more, it's just a mentality thing.

Same as with safe traffic, yes it would cost more to teach all drivers how to drive safely but on the other hand it would save many lives and get Thailand of the most dangerous trafficcountry list, which is good to attract quality tourists.

And if Thai build something out of concrete it's better to do it right the first time so it will last a century. When Thai build something out of concrete is's always broken/cracked within a year. Same with streetdrains, they are all crappy in BKK and after being repaired they're broken in no time again leading into huge holes in the roads which are very dangerous for motorcycles.

They could save a lot of money by learning how to build properly and that doesn't have to cost more, would even save them a lot of money/accidents.

There's a big difference between good service and crap service. Good service doesn't have to cost a lot more, it's just a mentality thing.

When you have low paid staff you get poor service and less quality food. When you pay more you tend to get better service and higher quality products.

We all love the exceptions, but on average that's how things tend to work in the real world. "You get what you pay for".

Keeping this simple perspective in mind would eliminate most of the complaints I hear so often. Ake sure your comparing apples with oranges when complaining about anything in Thailand comparing it to your home country.

When you have low paid staff you get poor service and less quality food. When you pay more you tend to get better service and higher quality products.

We all love the exceptions, but on average that's how things tend to work in the real world. "You get what you pay for".

Keeping this simple perspective in mind would eliminate most of the complaints I hear so often. Ake sure your comparing apples with oranges when complaining about anything in Thailand comparing it to your home country.

During my study's i also worked in many restaurants to make some extra income, i never had any education for that and it went perfect. They also let me cook in expensive restaurants, again without education.

But even in Sheraton Royal Orchid in BKK things go terrible wrong, one day the waitress swapped the drinks she had to bring to our table. After we tasted it we told her we didn't get what we ordered. She just swapped the glasses infront of us and expected us to accept that. My Thai friend asked for her manager and she got really angry with him but did what he asked her to do. She had swapped the drinks accidently but we didn't know that. If she just had taken them back to the bar and swapped them there, clean the glasses then nobody of us would have noticed that.

I mean, This is Thailand.....it's all lack of education and interest. Sheraton ain't cheap though in the Jazz bar.

I can tell you loads of examples like that but we all know where Suvarnabhumi is right?

During my study's i also worked in many restaurants to make some extra income, i never had any education for that and it went perfect. They also let me cook in expensive restaurants, again without education.

But even in Sheraton Royal Orchid in BKK things go terrible wrong, one day the waitress swapped the drinks she had to bring to our table. After we tasted it we told her we didn't get what we ordered. She just swapped the glasses infront of us and expected us to accept that. My Thai friend asked for her manager and she got really angry with him but did what he asked her to do. She had swapped the drinks accidently but we didn't know that. If she just had taken them back to the bar and swapped them there, clean the glasses then nobody of us would have noticed that.

I mean, This is Thailand.....it's all lack of education and interest. Sheraton ain't cheap though in the Jazz bar.

I can tell you loads of examples like that but we all know where Suvarnabhumi is right?

So you got each other's drink, and you couldn't deal with that situation yourselves?

So you got each other's drink, and you couldn't deal with that situation yourselves?

Yes dude, for the first time you understood what i'm saying.clap2.gif

For you that wouldn't matter of course. But if i order a good whiskey and it tastes like something else they'll get it back. And if my businesspartners have the same problem then it's time to call the manager, we didn't know they swapped the drinks.

Also when my Thai friend drove us into the parkinggarage of the Sheraton she lost her bumper/frontskird because of the too steap ramp into the garage. The parkingguard acted like it was normal to have that problem, happens all the time there.whistling.gifwhistling.gif

That must be the reason you brought your bicycle right?

To be fair, I am the one and only...

To be fair you are a slobbering Thai apologist, BUT not the only one.

The problem isn't with Thai apologists on this forum.

The problem is with complaining misfits who should have left Thailand as soon as they realized they were living in a backward third-world country populated by morons.

Many posters sound like they are being held here against their will.

Those of us who share the low intelligence level of the natives and are tolerant of their bad service live quite happily among them.

We don't feel the need to apologize for Thais , we accept them for what they are.

If you are nostalgic for places like the US, the UK, or Europe, then do everybody a favor and go back there.

Service in Thailand is iffy at best.... Had a turning signal light go out recently and stopped by the local car dealer for a lamp. Not in stock but can get in a few day .... We are talking about going to an authorized service center for a car manufacturer and not stocking a basic part like a lamp. Last time I needed a part there it took two weeks to get the part and I had to pay in advance, I don't call that good service.

With the light I ended up stopping at a little dirty motorbike repair shack along the street and getting a lamp that I changed myself.

Service and Thailand don't fit into the same sentence unless there is a No included.... Perhaps an over statement but very Sadly normally the case....

Edited by ttthailand