Thai Interpol head says no credible threat of IS attack

webfact

Thai Interpol head says no credible threat of IS attack
BY AMY SAWITTA LEFEVRE

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Interpol director said on Tuesday there was "no credible" threat of an attack by suspected members of Islamic State following a warning by the Russian intelligence service that 10 Syrians linked to Islamic State had entered the country.

A document from Thai Special Branch police leaked to social media showed it had been warned by Russia's Federal Security Service that 10 Syrians linked to Islamic State had entered Thailand between Oct. 15 and Oct. 31 to target Russian interests.

Confirmation on Friday that the document was real prompted Thailand to step up security around potential targets including the cities of Pattaya and Phuket, home to large Russian communities. Officials have called for calm.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-thailand-russia-idUSKBN0TR0TO20151208

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2015-12-08

Thailand has had the ability to be attacked for many years and nothing happened until Erawan. I mean from multinational aspects. I'm relatively new to Thailand so correct me if I'm wrong about that. Some people compare Thailand (Walking Street/Nana/Cowboy/anything like those places that are basically only for partying) to Bali from a few years ago when nobody expected a thing. Yes there is a possibility today, but why would they not solely attack in the home countries of their perceived aggressors (Russia)? Yes I do know they hit Paris, but the question is about trying something in Thailand. I know "hit the tourists for maximum effect", but I am just hoping these people like to have a couple drinks and would leave this place alone. Thailand has done nothing to the Syrians or Iranians or anyone involved with Daesh. No military involvement. Maybe they caught some of them in a jet ski scam.........

Not trying to pretend to be a know it all, just seeing if there are different opinions/knowledge.

Thailand's Interpol director, Police Major General Apichart Suribunya, said that Interpol and Special Branch were both looking out for intelligence but that there was no credible threat of an attack in Thailand.

God forbid these words come back to haunt him!

"Thailand's Interpol director, Police Major General Apichart Suribunya, said that Thai Interpol and Special Branch were both looking for intelligence..."

But there was nothing credible to be found. tongue.png

Thailand's Interpol director, Police Major General Apichart Suribunya, said that Interpol and Special Branch were both looking out for intelligence but that there was no credible threat of an attack in Thailand.

God forbid these words come back to haunt him!

They're just looking in the wrong places for intelligence, Somebody should tell them that it can't just be found or bought.

So the Interpol head in Thailand has confirmed with Russia that their warning was wrong. Or the Interpol head has knowledge of every source available to Russia and has independently checked out every source.

Yeah, I ain't buying it. You get threat notifications like this all the time they say.......until one day it is real.

Edited by oneday

So the Interpol head in Thailand has confirmed with Russia that their warning was wrong. Or the Interpol head has knowledge of every source available to Russia and has independently checked out every source.

Yeah, I ain't buying it. You get threat notifications like this all the time they say.......until one day it is real.

Who would you sooner believe - the Thai head of Interpol (presumably the ones who said the paperwork for putting out a red notice on Thaksin was too complicated) and the Thai "Special Branch" or the Russian FSB, successor to the KGB?

Difficult choice whistling.gif

Someone must feel a bit lonely at the top of Thai Interpol. If there is no threat of an attack, the following seems pretty much preposterous:

Confirmation on Friday that the document was real prompted Thailand to step up security around potential targets

"Thai Interpol head says no credible threat of IS attack"

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

And we all feel sooooo much safer now....

No shit Sherlock, keep being vigilant and remember Terrorists does not have to be Syrian or even Arab....

There is now homegrown ones across the globe

stay alert and keep safe

wai2.gif

Thailand has had the ability to be attacked for many years and nothing happened until Erawan. I mean from multinational aspects. I'm relatively new to Thailand so correct me if I'm wrong about that. Some people compare Thailand (Walking Street/Nana/Cowboy/anything like those places that are basically only for partying) to Bali from a few years ago when nobody expected a thing. Yes there is a possibility today, but why would they not solely attack in the home countries of their perceived aggressors (Russia)? Yes I do know they hit Paris, but the question is about trying something in Thailand. I know "hit the tourists for maximum effect", but I am just hoping these people like to have a couple drinks and would leave this place alone. Thailand has done nothing to the Syrians or Iranians or anyone involved with Daesh. No military involvement. Maybe they caught some of them in a jet ski scam.........

Not trying to pretend to be a know it all, just seeing if there are different opinions/knowledge.

You should familiarize yourself with the Islamic Malay-Thai insurgency in South Thailand. You might gain more clarity to a potential Daesh threat against Buudhist majority Thailand.

Credible vs. Actionable. Nobody wants to create fear that would stop people from going about

there daily lives spending money and driving the economy. Governments around the world

hide the truth. You really can't believe any of them 100%. All you can do is remain vigilant

and aware. Enjoy life to the fullest but pay attention to what is going on around you. coffee1.gif