Poster of the Year Nominations -- Start Nominating

Fabricus

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The flow of nominations has fizzled out ... innit.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

Good. Now someone who is good at that sort of thing can set up the poll based on the nominations received to date. Just take the first 20 from Sipi's list

Interesting idea, but I fear the forum's rank and file might revolt.

It could of course be argued that they're already revolting (and have been for many years), but that's another issue.

Why don't you and General Village Farang work a little of your magic early next week. I'm sure you could easily put together twenty (20) suitable candidates.

I think you must include NancyL and PatsyCat, btw.

How is it that those two random mere members are qualified to make that choice?

Surely mere members have their own OPINIONATED personal biases and limited exposure to the breadth of the forum.

How is that they were picked over other members to be the judges of such a momentous contest?

If I was on that list and eliminated by some random mere members, I would have a hard time accepting that as a FAIR process.

You know you watch the X factor and they have judges who eliminate people. Those judges have credibility and authority in the industry. Those cut might be angry and feel wronged, but they accept the AUTHORITY of the judges because they have something to back up their judgement. I don't see that kind of credibility in this proposed process.

Edited by Jingthing

Sad ego trip

Maybe your next one will be better. It's all about the journey, not the destination

As the current holder of the Golden Festivus POTY Pole, I'm here to say it's actually about the DESTINATION. post-4641-1156694083.gif

festivus-pole-x750d.jpg

You don't seem to have done much with your year on the top of the Christmas tree. I'm hoping for a poster of the year who will regale us with wit, wisdom, and above all, brevity to the point of reticence

Surely mere members have their own OPINIONATED personal biases and limited exposure to the breadth of the forum.

How is that they were picked over other members to be the judges of such a momentous contest?

If I was on that list and eliminated by some random mere members, I would have a hard time accepting that as a FAIR process.

You know you watch the X factor and they have judges who eliminate people. Those judges have credibility and authority in the industry. Those cut might be angry and feel wronged, but they accept the AUTHORITY of the judges because they have something to back up their judgement. I don't see that kind of credibility in this proposed process.

Reading that, I agreed with Malcolm McLaren for the first time

In terms of fairness, intellect and perceived credibility, the two FORUM ARISTOCRATS I named dwarf you.

I need to be extremely careful at this point as I know about them and their college backgrounds; I also know the (former) occupation of one of the venerable gentlemen's fathers.

I consider Mr Soi Eastwood and General VillageFarang perfect for the task I have recommended they embrace.

I'm sure SC would agree the finest winner was tutsiwarrior who kept a low profile and such brevity he disappeared into the Betty Ford clinic by June and is still to this day losing the weight he gained from all those free after dinner speech events.

This year is a shambles folks....embrace and bully the candidates and don't forget to change the rules halfway through etc.

It's a Thai election....don't forget!

Sad ego trip

Maybe your next one will be better. It's all about the journey, not the destination

As the current holder of the Golden Festivus POTY Pole, I'm here to say it's actually about the DESTINATION. post-4641-1156694083.gif

festivus-pole-x750d.jpg

You don't seem to have done much with your year on the top of the Christmas tree. I'm hoping for a poster of the year who will regale us with wit, wisdom, and above all, brevity to the point of reticence

Respect the Pole.

Edited by Jingthing

Agreed with what:

???

"Better a spectacular failure, than a benign success,"

One of the big digs at the contest in the past was that it was being run as an insiders OLD BOY'S CLUB type deal.

I thought that would be better changed, once and for all.

Edited by Jingthing

One of the big digs at the contest in the past was that it was being run as an insiders OLD BOY'S CLUB type deal.

To a relative newbie running it?

Terrible slur that is.

I always ran the contest fairly....one member one vote and as much behind the scenes free beer as my poor liver could handle.

Edited by smokie36

I'll put the poll up (can I say that on the internet?) some time after 10 pm Thai time on Sunday, if no-one else has done it before.

Take charge I said...not squeak like a gerbil waiting in line for the wheel.

I bet Tom Jones would have this one nailed...he certainly impressed me!

Terrible slur that is.

I always ran the contest fairly....one member one vote and as much behind the scenes free beer as my poor liver could handle.

Not going there.

The past is the past.

It's well known strange stuff happened in previous years on different levels ... what's done is done.

The issue I obviously raised this time was the pruning process.

I don't think the names that were presented as those with the power to eliminate people really command that kind of authority.

Edited by Jingthing

The process of pruning was hidden before. It was more like acting like it didn't even happen. Some of those pruned complained about it and questioned the validity of the entire contest based on that, and they had a good point.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't want to do it, but it's a Nike moment...

I don't think anyone cares who's on the short list, so long as it includes the winner

Good luck, and go for it.

I'll leave you to it and won't contribute to this thread again.

===

IMPORTANT POTY 2015 ANNOUNCEMENT

Mr Soi Eastwood (sometimes crudely referred to as Street Cowboy) is now in control of this thread.

I leave it to him and his erstwhile colleague, General VillageFarang, to steer this mighty Titanic to a safe and happy landing.

I see.

Just so that process is transparent, what appears to be happening here (correct me if I'm wrong), is that two random members selected by the OP by his own authority, one with a certain "reputation" from previous contests (the other rather unknown on the wider forum) are going to be in charge of eliminating nominees for the contest.

I assume they won't be stating their criteria for this elimination.

Just trying to keep this real so that people understand how the voting list comes to be.

I feel in previous years there was way too much stealth in explaining the process. No process is perfect but this is a voting contest so people deserve to know the ground rules or LACK thereof.

Edited by Jingthing