Pond Construction And Fish Keeping

krayner

Does anybody here know about building ponds for ornamental fish. I was intending to build a pond about 25 feet in diameter with a concrete base and bottom drains then concrete block walls and a proper filter system.

However the wife has got involved and built me this monster. Basically she went over to Thailand to supervise the completion of a building project in Ranong and they needed, well she said they needed, I am not convinced, to do some landscaping and leveling of the ground.

So on the basis that they had an excavator on site and they needed the material for the landscaping they built this huge pond.

It is full of water now but after a few months of the dry season I can't see there being much water in it.

It stikes me as being far too big to build in concrete and blocks, especially as I know very little about concrete so I guess I will need a liner.

Do they have Butyl rubber in Thailand and how much will something that size cost me? If I use butyl I can still put in the bottom drains and build the filter.

The other alternative is that i turn it into a swimming pool. I am also a bit concerned about the proximity to the sea. I don't know if the tide ever comes up that high, there has been no sign that it does.

Any ideas.

post-18259-1160476135_thumb.jpg

Does anybody here know about building ponds for ornamental fish. I was intending to build a pond about 25 feet in diameter with a concrete base and bottom drains then concrete block walls and a proper filter system.

However the wife has got involved and built me this monster. Basically she went over to Thailand to supervise the completion of a building project in Ranong and they needed, well she said they needed, I am not convinced, to do some landscaping and leveling of the ground.

So on the basis that they had an excavator on site and they needed the material for the landscaping they built this huge pond.

It is full of water now but after a few months of the dry season I can't see there being much water in it.

It stikes me as being far too big to build in concrete and blocks, especially as I know very little about concrete so I guess I will need a liner.

Do they have Butyl rubber in Thailand and how much will something that size cost me? If I use butyl I can still put in the bottom drains and build the filter.

The other alternative is that i turn it into a swimming pool. I am also a bit concerned about the proximity to the sea. I don't know if the tide ever comes up that high, there has been no sign that it does.

Any ideas.

post-18259-1160476135_thumb.jpg

Depends on the soil conditions of course, but that close to the ocean and you are likely to have well draining sand. So yup, you probably need to seal it.

Start here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22pond+liner%22+thailand

Also, what kind of fish are you planning to keep there? All it takes is a storm and you will have a pond full of brackish- to salty water...

Depends on the soil conditions of course, but that close to the ocean and you are likely to have well draining sand. So yup, you probably need to seal it.

Start here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22pond+liner%22+thailand

Also, what kind of fish are you planning to keep there? All it takes is a storm and you will have a pond full of brackish- to salty water...

The idea was to keep koi and have it heavily filtered. What I might do is just put in a liner then have this as a natural unfiltered pond then construct a filtered koi pond else where. I have a about 40 rai in total so plenty of space.

I would put some local fish that are easy to keep in it. I was bit worried about the sea coming up but thinking about it that would only coincide with the monsoon anyway so the freshwater would soon be diluted with monsoon runoff.

Kevin