How Can I Learn to Use a Smartphone

racyrick

I'm a technofile from way back,, yes i can program a VCR (remember those)

i can program many things, write HTML (web pages) and more but the dam

Smartphone is smarter than me, oh no you aint going to win,, i started going

to Youtube and watching and fidling with my smartphone until i broke it, then

i fixed it then started again,, am i an expert,, no bloddy way,, can i use it, yes

i can, so go to Youtube and educate yourself,, you will soon say,, what was all

the fuss about anyway...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This entire thread frightens me...seriously how are you folks not institutionalized ? 62 and cannot figure out a cell phone...scary to walk the same streets with you

Thank you for your opinion.

No Age given, nor any personal details, location etc = Not to be taken seriously!

On Topic and not Trolling might be more helpful.

Hope you feel better soon!

I worked as a private IT teacher some years ago and I had several students over the age of 80 who learned how to use a PC and Internet for the first time. After a few hours most of them were able to do almost anything online . A smart phone is a lot easier to operate, just don't be afraid to touch the screen and try out new things.

Going with Android is a huge mistake.

Pony up and get an iPhone 6S Plus, with at least 64GB of storage. That way you'll have the easiest smartphone to use, with the most applications and readily-available and legal content, and a nice large screen so that you can read it easily.

And with the IPhone you get to pay about 4 times what is needed to buy the smart phone the OP needs.

And you get the bonus of stuck in the Apple ecosystem.

Probably too tenuous an argument trying to persuade the OP not to consider an iPhone due to the ecosystem. Blimey, I can picture the OP sitting there scratching his head wondering how he overlooked the ecosystem in his research.

Whether you like it or not, iPhones are worth the money. Can the OP afford an iPhone is more the question.

I have a system with iPhones and it's served me well so far. I buy the latest model outright then sell my pristine condition previous version for the bulk of the cost of the new. You need a good quality case, screen protector and some luck.

post-175321-0-75142700-1449695511_thumb.

Pony up and get an iPhone 6S Plus, with at least 64GB of storage. That way you'll have the easiest smartphone to use, with the most applications and readily-available and legal content, and a nice large screen so that you can read it easily.

And with the IPhone you get to pay about 4 times what is needed to buy the smart phone the OP needs.

Personally I love being "stuck in the Apple ecosystem." It's a great and user-friendly ecosystem, indeed. And it can do anything and everything I need it to do. My iPhone easily communicates and works interactively with my MacBook Pro, iPad, Apple TV, i-Cloud, iTunes, and App Store ... and almost all of my Apple apps and software.

racyrick, the first 10 phones go to your gf's and wives, and then another 50 go to their family.

then give it a few months and ask them to help you....

first turn on, how to make calls, then emails, then texting, then some apps, and facetime you might like, and then the SECRET world happens...

I have 110 sim cards that i take out to change it all!!!! (forget this part, not important.......... or is it???)

People over sixty should be prohibited from owning smartphones; they clog up forums, chatrooms, comment boards and drive friends and strangers alike mental with their incessant questions.

Give them all a complimentary Nokia 100 and tell them to get on with it, I say.

I'm curious: How do you determine the age of these people who "clog up forums, chatrooms, comment boards ...."?

Most often it's impossible to know the age of fellow chatters/commenters.

Get a girl friend.....she will help you figure it out....

They love those man made modern gadgets and seem to be naturals at figuring out how to work them.

Actually, most Thai bar girls are "naturals at figuring out how to work" farang men. They know exactly where and how to touch the right places to get what they want.

Thanks to all for the comments, help and most of all, the laughs.

Us "old" people were once "young people" and guess what, young people become old people one day.

Didn't your parents tell you to respect your elders?? :)

Anyway, I am married to a Thai woman for 11 years, so the bar girl help scenario will not work for me-that was my "young" people days, but you are sooo right.

My son is very bright, so you are spot on as to not giving him enough credit-will probably want to play games all the time.

Heck, I'm probably not giving myself enough credit.

Can't afford Apple, so that is why I never considered buying one.

The Asus has a fast 2.3 processor, 4gb of RAM and 64gb of storage. Seems like overkill to me, but a great price for the specs.

Lastly, to Tonray-beware when you go outside, my super charged wheelchair might run you over!!! lol

People over sixty should be prohibited from owning smartphones; they clog up forums, chatrooms, comment boards and drive friends and strangers alike mental with their incessant questions.

I know I shouldn't clog up the board replying to the ranting of a Numpty...thank God I have never wasted my time reading any of the rubbish,such as the above in the almost 1.5K posts you have posted on here...you should go and have a good look in a mirror before you post such drivel,and give yourself a good talking to,you should still be,or probably are using an Abacus...Some day (Maybe) you will be over 60,so do us all a favour,and throw your not so smart self and phone in the bin now.

Can you add memory to an Iproduct?

The iPad Air cannot have memory added.

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Grand 2.(Android OS)

She quickly filled it with photos.

Found out I can pop in a mini up to 64 Gb memory card.

We went for 32 Gb - sorted and not expensive.....

Just changed the configuration so photos are always stored on the card, not in the phone.

Makes backing them up easier too.

I'm curious: How do you determine the age of these people who "clog up forums, chatrooms, comment boards ...."?

Most often it's impossible to know the age of fellow chatters/commenters.

Good point HerbalEd.

My wife uses my old Galaxy S3. She has so much crap on it that I'm surprised that it still works, Skype, Line, Facebook, etc. She allows her nine year old nephew to download and play games on it. Where the nine year old learned all about the smart phone, I have no idea but he showed my wife how to use the phone.

and do ask yourself, what does the i stand for?

The Asus has a fast 2.3 processor, 4gb of RAM and 64gb of storage. Seems like overkill to me, but a great price for the specs.

Asus also sells several versions of the Zenphone-2 with 2 & 4GB Ram, 16-64GB Rom for a lot less money. Scroll through this Lazada page and maybe you'll see one more suited to your needs

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-mobiles/asus/

Edited by dddave

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Grand 2.(Android OS)

She quickly filled it with photos.

You purchased a memory card to store photos? Hope your wife doesn't lose it.

Have you considered cloud storage?

Both my wife's phone and mine sync to the same Dropbox account where our files and photos are safely stored and our phones remain uncluttered.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime is listed at 6500 baht, at Lazada. Seems to be a very good price, compared with elsewhere.

However, since this is my first smart phone purchase, I could do with a translation, into English, however brief, of the following specs., please. Ta!

Network

- GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

- UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 MHz

Data

- 2G: EDGE/GPRS

- 3G: HSDPA , HSUPA

- 4G: LTE DL , LTE UL

My wife uses my old Galaxy S3. She has so much crap on it that I'm surprised that it still works, Skype, Line, Facebook, etc. She allows her nine year old nephew to download and play games on it. Where the nine year old learned all about the smart phone, I have no idea but he showed my wife how to use the phone.

It must be a good one mate...I have one that's just over 3 yrs old...stuffed up after two years..n been in Tukcom twice ,and now it won't even switch on !!!!

Went to Samsung in Pattaya Sukhumvit Rd with it.....don't want to bore you with the details from the Numpties behind the counter...suffice to say..buy a new one.....T.I.T.

Buy one that is 4g lte

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

When looking at specs, how does one figure out which models (of any make) can use G3 service, and/ or G4 when it becomes available? Thanks.

If a phone is 4G, it will say so in big letters on the box. If you are looking in a shop, it should be on the display tag, even if the tag is in Thai, you will see "4G"

Buy one that is 4g lte

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

When looking at specs, how does one figure out which models (of any make) can use G3 service, and/ or G4 when it becomes available? Thanks.

If a phone is 4G, it will say so in big letters on the box. If you are looking in a shop, it should be on the display tag, even if the tag is in Thai, you will see "4G"
Thanks. That is a whole lot more clear than when I asked the True shop in Phuket. Conversation went something like this. " this phone, here, is it G3 or G4 ?" Clown: " it's G3." " Ok, so what do I do when G4 is introduced in Thailand.? " Clown: " you must buy new phone."

18 years living here and, sometimes, I still shake my head.

Anybody had experience buying a refurbished smart phone from Lazada? Thanks!

I'd be hesitant, especially where you are not an experienced user. Something could be wrong with the phone but you might not recognize the problem and think it's just you. The small difference in price does not really justify refurbs, especially with an online retailer such as Lazada that gives you only 14 days to return it.

I know a lot of Apple refurbs are showing on Lazada, 4s's for under B10,000 but they can be found at physical shops as well and even though you'll never get a refund if anything goes really wrong, you'll at least have someone to throw it at.

Seriously, if you haven't already pulled the trigger and bought a phone, try to buy your first from an established dealer like JayMart or Power Buy or Power Mall. Nobody gives money back but at least you'll have more of a chance of getting service.

I bought a refurbished Galaxy S4 from a company on AliExpress. The phone was guaranteed for a year. It didn't work when I received it. Twice it was returned for repair. It still didn't work. The third time, that company told me that they could not repair the phone because I didn't buy it from them. It was obvious because of all the emails and messages where the phone came from. AliExpress was of absolutely no help. I quit my AliExpress membership but still had the junk phone.

I was soured on Samsung but eventually bought an S5 and am quite happy with it. I stayed with Samsung because my wife has my old S3 and it is still working even with heavy use, a kid playing with it and all sorts of junk on it.

As a side note, the S4 had a defective main board and I chose not to have it repaired. I'm pretty sure the Chinese seller knew that and didn't want to repair it properly.