Man taken into custody over his FB post on Rajabhakti Park scandal

webfact

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I the west this would be referred to as slander and is usually dealt with by way of civil action, the problem in Thailand is that it comes under criminal law something that I believe is wrong

Note - I am not referring to the LM allegations, that is something entirely different

Very clever...order an arrest for such a minor comment....piss off family and friends,and their friends overseas post it until it goes Viral!

It's now out in the world,and not confined to Bangkok!

Great publicity!

Stroke Of Military Genius Old Chap!!!

Hmmm...Loose Lips Sink Ships!!! lol.

I think you are giving him too much credit. Do you really think he ponders this kind of stuff? Oh, let me see. How is this going to play out overseas? What is the long term implication going to be, with regard to my legacy and my reputation? Is the public going to respect me, or like me more or less, if I do this?

I think it is safe to say, he has demonstrated over, and over, and over, on a nearly daily basis, that these kinds of things are never taken into account, and all of these consideration are either too far over his head, or he just does not give a rats ass about them. You might even say he is the opposite of a PR master. He would not be a particularly effective naval commander in a time of crisis. Probably not much of a chess player either.

Edited by spidermike007

So it seems that the junta is following the navy's example of going after the little guy and leaving the big players alone.

There's a nice piece on Wikipedia relating to this park and possible corruption, it has names and numbers, but like I said the junta wont touch the big players but if your alone then your fair game..............

This issue is getting bigger by the day and it could well spell the beginning of the end for the junta.

Now where oh where are the few on TVF who love to crow the "good people" running the country and how they have done so much and mass progress has been all the doing of said "good people" where are ya guy's getting real hard to keep spinning this stuff huhwhistling.gif

. . . . and who is going to 'end' it? Another autocrat dressed in a democratic election?

At least said autocrat could be voted out. If the military did what they're supposed to do and stay in their barracks.

And if the results of the "election" are not to the likes of some people, who then create unrest, foment and dangerous excitement amongst the population, the military can once again come out of their barracks and start all over again.

We love a circular life here.

The military government, I feel sorry for.
What a self-fabricated PR disaster.
The previously so laboriously built up trust,
flushed down in the toilet with a single suspicion of corruption.

The image of the mighty Goliath with all his power, who crushed the small David, comes up.
Many sympathies are gone.

The park occupies an area of 222 rai and cost 28M.

Meanwhile, a private citizen from America bought some overgrazed land in Patagonia with his own money and his employees tore down the fences and they created a National Park in Chile protecting 2,043,000 rai (1,255 sq mi)

including pristine wet/temperate rainforest from development.

http://www.parquepumalin.cl/en/pumalin_park.htm

Pumalin Park has no uniform rangers from the nearby organic farms with activities such as animal husbandry, cheesemaking, ecotourism, wool handicrafts, and honey production function simultaneously as park ranger stations and visitor information centers.

According to the WSJ, Mr.Tomkins wanted to sell his $12M home there for only $8M ($300 annual taxes).

236 glorious inches of liquid SUNSHINE a year, 555.

The point being, I doubt Pumalin Park cost $28 million, out of pocket.

Edited by SiSePuede419

NCPO lodged a petition with police to charge Thanakorn with sedition, etc.

If there is any group that understands sedition, it's the NCPO and the eleven previous military coup d'etats. Unfortunately for Thanakorn, he can't grant himself amnesty - unlike the NCPO.

I can't see the junta getting less heavy handed - they appear to be turning the screw............and as things get progressively more out of hand one suspects this is the usual reaction of this kind of government.

It surprises me that the authorities seem unaware of how this sort of action will reflect in thw eyes of th international community........it certainly won't inspire confidence in most of their trading partners......

There was an item on the BBC News channel half an hour ago, about freedom of speech / censorship in China, Malaysia and Thailand. They made specific reference to the law in question and the increasing length of sentences being imposed. The world is taking more notice...

Not to mention an upcoming report on the award winning international crisisgroup.org

I have only read excerpts (as it isn't due for publication until tomorrow I believe). While the excerpts at least do not shed any new light on what most understand as the real motivations behind the coup and selective enforcement of certain laws and new powerful provisions the junta has bestowed upon itself, it is interesting to note that the shenanigans of the junta have not gone unnoticed outside of Thailand's borders.

I think prayut got a few skeletons in his cupboard . Hope this explodes into protests as proper physical action only way forward against the stupidity & scum at the top .

Warning: A post like this could be viewed as "inciting unrest" Foreigners are not above the junta's laws. Becareful...You could find yourself on holiday in Bangkok Hilton.

Prayuth's increasingly shrill, harsh and angry responses are resembling Suchinda's angry rants in 1992. And there aren't even any significant street protests or any political leaders prepared to stick their heads above the parapet yet.

Let's see....

Anyone solicited for a kickback should lodge a complaint with the police. The Police would be more than willing to investigate, if the military requests them to do so. The Army investigated itself and found "no irregularities".

See? Everything is normal. Ask something else. There's no point asking. Please stop mentioning this already. It damages confidence a lot.

Chin up, pip pip cheerio everyone! Well, I'm off to my polo match

I know a Dutch guy that was kicked out Thailand about 1 year ago for posting something on his own facebook in Dutch about Thailand National Parcs. He had several companies in Thailand, living in Thailand with his Thai wife for 15 years. Companies and assets were confiscated. His post on Facebook wasn't against Thailand at all, but the translation of Bing screwed up that the post (and he too) was unwanted. According to him there is a team of "idiots" scanning Facebook 24/7.

Dutch embassy knows about this case but shuts up and advises Dutch not to use FB in Thailand other than staying in touch with home.

We should all be very aware that this forum is monitored by the government 24/7. Nobody is immune from reprisals.

Those outside Thailand won't care though, and I presume there's no way the identity of users on this site can be discovered anyway, especially if they use a good tunnel.

Back on topic - this scandal does seem to be escalating...

Edited by ddavidovsky

Damage control? There is corruption all over the world and in the interests of not wanting to become concrete foundations for something, I will say no more! Let's just say corruption is commonplace in Asia and its not something that is going to change any time soon.

What scares me that in the past corruption was hidden from view hush hush. Today corruption is so blatant and in your face being served up as We Do Not Give A S**T

We should all be very aware that this forum is monitored by the government 24/7. Nobody is immune from reprisals.

Those outside Thailand won't care though, and I presume there's no way the identity of users on this site can be discovered anyway, especially if they use a good tunnel.

Back on topic - this scandal does seem to be escalating...

The day that the junta come to kick down our doors and arrest us for talking on here is the day that they've gone full north Korea. South east Asia and Thailand in particular has, since the Vietnam war, been seen as a mostly western friendly region.

You would have to post something very extreme to prompt them. If it was for discussing their alleged corruption I think western nations would not tolerate it and step in. Normally if you do something bad out here you're screwed but the world is beginning to take notice.

They would likely just try and shut the board down or block it than arrest ex pats posting here.

I hope.....

You are NOT safe. Anything posted is subject to interpretation. That includes "liking" posts which express attitudes deemed illegal.

I wonder how safe we are posting on here? it is getting that bad sad.png

here no problem, they dont take risk, they read all our post and make the censure before others can see it....!

You know that for a fact, or just guessing? Cogs a turning.

i never write guessing.....and only about what i know for sure..!i have been censured with my account closed few times already for BS....also you can read the rules of thai visa .

How can posting information about corruption be called Lese Majeste???

By talking about the implication of someone other than the military....!?!?.........minefield !!

Edited by off road pat

Very clever...order an arrest for such a minor comment....piss off family and friends,and their friends overseas post it until it goes Viral!

It's now out in the world,and not confined to Bangkok!

Great publicity!

Stroke Of Military Genius Old Chap!!!

Hmmm...Loose Lips Sink Ships!!! lol.

I think you are giving him too much credit. Do you really think he ponders this kind of stuff? Oh, let me see. How is this going to play out overseas? What is the long term implication going to be, with regard to my legacy and my reputation? Is the public going to respect me, or like me more or less, if I do this?

I think it is safe to say, he has demonstrated over, and over, and over, on a nearly daily basis, that these kinds of things are never taken into account, and all of these consideration are either too far over his head, or he just does not give a rats ass about them. You might even say he is the opposite of a PR master. He would not be a particularly effective naval commander in a time of crisis. Probably not much of a chess player either.

'Checkmate? Nah, I'll just declare a Republic and keep playing...' That, or all the pieces will be his colour... Edited by baboon