For many Democrats, Bangkok governor is proving a worry

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
For many Democrats, Bangkok governor is proving a worry

ATTAYUTH BOOTSRIPOOM

BANGKOK GOVERNOR MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra has come under a heavy attack by a group of his Democrat Party colleagues

BANGKOK: -- It cannot be said that the party's management is unaware of this onslaught against Sukhumbhand. The Democrat politicians who are campaigning against him held press conferences at the party's headquarters. Because of the Democrats' strong party culture since 1997, it is unlikely that those politicians made their moves without a green light from the party.

It may seem unusual for politicians to come to the public with an allegation of irregularity against a party colleague holding public office.

Sukhumbhand has been with the Democrat Party for a long time. He is a leading figure in the party, formerly serving as deputy foreign minister in the government of Chuan Leekpai from 1997 to 2000. The Democrat Party's Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayothin stepped up in 2008 during his second term to take responsibility for a scandal. The Democrats agreed to field Sukhumbhand as their candidate in a subsequent gubernatorial election in January 2009, which he managed to win.

After completing his first term, Sukhumbhand's performance seemed to receive more complaints than applause. However, the Democrats still opted to field him as the party's candidate contesting the previous governor's election in March 2013. In their election campaigning, the Democrats guaranteed that the party would ensure the candidate would keep his campaign promises.

Pre-election surveys showed Sukhumbhand was neck and neck with his closest competitor, Pongsapat Pongcharoen of the Pheu Thai Party. The findings prompted veteran Democrat politician Suthep Thaugsuban, Sukhumbhand's influential main supporter in the party, to focus the election campaigning on Bangkok voters' fear of the so-called Thaksin regime, instead of attempting to sell Sukhumbhand and his qualities.

The tactic worked, as Sukhumbhand managed to win the election with the highest number of votes - more than 1.25 million - although Pongsapat also earned more than 1 million votes.

Some critics said Sukhumbhand won the election because of fear, rather than his own capability. But such remarks did not seem to deter the re-elected Bangkok governor.

During his election campaign, Sukhumbhand said that in his first term he could not fully initiate new projects as he had to follow up on incomplete work left undone after his predecessor stepped down. He expected his second term as the Bangkok governor to be "more fun" for him.

It seemed he did not expect to experience a number of controversies and scandals in his second term. He came under fire after it was found that many security cameras installed in the capital were just "dummies". And after heavy flooding this year, he angered many Bangkok residents by commenting that those who did not want to experience floods in the low-lying capital should move to a mountainous area.

The Democrat Party is also unhappy with Sukhumbhand. It seems the party has been inefficient in making the Bangkok governor deliver his campaign promises and deal with the city's problems in a more effective way. The Democrats, as a result, are worried they might lose their support among Bangkok voters. Tension has increased between the party and the governor after he repeatedly refused to discuss his work with its management. Just recently, there was a rumour that moves were under way to expel Sukhumbhand from the party. For observers, it was like an amputation to save a life.

This could be a move to restore the Democrat Party's popularity among Bangkok residents. Also, certain Democrat groups may use this opportunity to regain influence within the party. Suthep, formerly the Democrat secretary-general, seems recently to have gained de facto power over the party leader, Abhisit Vejjajiva. And it is no secret that Suthep is a staunch supporter of Sukhumbhand.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/For-many-Democrats-Bangkok-governor-is-proving-a-w-30274631.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-10

Bangkokians should worry about the demolition of open air markets to be replaced by condominium for the rich and empty shopping centers in the tourist area with the idea that tourists do not have shopping centers in their country. Bangkok is loosing his soul and bangkokians are pushed out of Bangkok by this BMA destructive policy.

Recently gained de facto power over AV. Must be an erroneous reporting as he promised no more politics and never to go back to the Dem Party when he storm trooped and terrorized Bangkok and set up the situation for the coup. Dem Party will be doomed if he take over the helm from AV. Not that AV is doing remarkably well too.

Once again Suthep puts a political knife in the back up Abhisit.

It wasn't too long ago that the Yingluck bashers of TVF celebrated the greatness and glories of Suthep and his mob.

Not quite gk, IMHO many Thai folks (and aware foreigners) would put it like this:

- If he, with his large group of followers, can break the shin dictatorship and push for reforms then many would support him.

- Did they want him to then be the PM? No.

Edited by scorecard

It wasn't too long ago that the Yingluck bashers of TVF celebrated the greatness and glories of Suthep and his mob.

I donot think Suthep is behind that, I believe he is just a pawn and always has been one.

Thailand is ruled by 12 orso big clans of which the mechanisms we farangs do not know much about.

Edited by luckyman

This story seems odd to me. I had the impression that MR Sukhumbhand is popular with Bangkok voters, while they are distrustful of the Democrats, just the opposite of what the story says. The reason the people of Bangkok distrust the Democrats is that the Dems have acted as the pawns of the military juntas over decades. Chuan Leekpai was well liked, but then you had Suthep and Abhisit, who were not. They are also based in the South, which Central Thais consider an outsider people. Most of the people of Bangkok prefer Thaksin, but a minority of well-to-do and monarchist hi-so hate him. Of course I am not Thai, so I may very well misunderstand the whole situation.

Hard to have any sympathy for the Democrats, especially if (as reported in this article by The Nation) they focused their 2013 election campaigning on Bangkok voters' fear of the Thaksin regime, instead of attempting to sell Sukhumbhand and his qualities (a veritable “red” herring if you will)!

post-209291-0-71898900-1449725595_thumb.

Now, they are worried they might lose their support among Bangkok voters, and are blaming Sukhumbhand for this (I’m surprised they don’t just keep him for his strong family connections that would appeal to the nationalists, and just seek to play that tried-and-trusted old “red” card again).

post-209291-0-13017200-1449725573_thumb.

I think the main focus of their concern needs to be a lot higher up the current “political” food chain. There is a certain predatory pack, prowling around the halls of power at the moment that aren’t planning to leave the scene any time soon. These are the ones that are going to do far more damage to the Democrats hopes of winning elections (when they finally come) than their recalcitrant local governor.

Edited by waldroj

Recently gained de facto power over AV. Must be an erroneous reporting as he promised no more politics and never to go back to the Dem Party when he storm trooped and terrorized Bangkok and set up the situation for the coup. Dem Party will be doomed if he take over the helm from AV. Not that AV is doing remarkably well too.

Are you saying he secretly got Pheu-Thai to pass the amnesty disgrace in order to get the peopl eon the streets ?.

Or are you trying to say that he was responsible for the ongoing grenade attacks and murder of THIRTY innocent and peaceful protesters (including children) ?.

Or are you saying he had influence over the Thai Police to tell them to protect those same terrorists and allow the attacks to continue unabated ?. Not a single arrest despite the attacks being in broad daylight in busy areas and even full face CCTV footage.

Because that is what set up the situation for the coup.

I have some news for you - prepare yourself for a shock. Red-shirts have already been found guilty of doing that. It takes a real low-life scumbag to point an M79 indiscriminately at a crowd including women and children then pull the trigger.

Kind of makes you look gullible and have no clue what you are talking about. Either that or it's just plain vanilla red-shirt hypocrisy. Which one is it ?.

With Suthep in his corner he can safely head off to the golf course and let Bangkok run itself.

I donot think Suthep is behind that, I believe he is just a pawn and always has been one.

Thailand is ruled by 12 orso big clans of which the mechanisms we farangs do not know much about.

Sounds like a movie plot we could call it "The Dirty Dozen" Opps sorry that has already been done.

Hard to have any sympathy for the Democrats, especially if (as reported in this article by The Nation) they focused their 2013 election campaigning on Bangkok voters' fear of the Thaksin regime, instead of attempting to sell Sukhumbhand and his qualities (a veritable “red” herring if you will)!

attachicon.gifherring.jpg

Now, they are worried they might lose their support among Bangkok voters, and are blaming Sukhumbhand for this (I’m surprised they don’t just keep him for his strong family connections that would appeal to the nationalists, and just seek to play that tried-and-trusted old “red” card again).

attachicon.gifRed Card_1.jpg

I think the main focus of their concern needs to be a lot higher up the current “political” food chain. There is a certain predatory pack, prowling around the halls of power at the moment that aren’t planning to leave the scene any time soon. These are the ones that are going to do far more damage to the Democrats hopes of winning elections (when they finally come) than their recalcitrant local governor.

Since we cannot change reality, let us change the eyes which see reality" I am starting to see red over this posters comments. Must be time for m y annual eye exam. Sometimes I see a lot of brown but then there is so much BS flying around maybe that is causing this as well. Yes my eyes are brown but I could be down a liter of BS better go and get this level topped up well no need to I get it topped up reading TV.

Are you saying he secretly got Pheu-Thai to pass the amnesty disgrace in order to get the peopl eon the streets ?.

Or are you trying to say that he was responsible for the ongoing grenade attacks and murder of THIRTY innocent and peaceful protesters (including children) ?.

Or are you saying he had influence over the Thai Police to tell them to protect those same terrorists and allow the attacks to continue unabated ?. Not a single arrest despite the attacks being in broad daylight in busy areas and even full face CCTV footage.

I have some news for you - prepare yourself for a shock. Red-shirts have already been found guilty of doing that. It takes a real low-life scumbag to point an M79 indiscriminately at a crowd including women and children then pull the trigger.

Kind of makes you look gullible and have no clue what you are talking about. Either that or it's just plain vanilla red-shirt hypocrisy. Which one is it ?.

What has all the in incidents that you mentioned got to do with the coup that was planned in 2010. Suthep said than himself. What followed the plan was provocations that resulted in deaths committed by both sides and the foolishness of the government to push for a full amnesty.

Although I don't much like Sukhumbhand's aloof hands-way-off style, I admire him for trying to be a Bangkok governor, and not a governor who is in the puppet of the Democrats.

Sukhumbhand knows he won't get a 3rd term as governor, so he doesn't care a hoot about what AV has to say.

Tell the truth EJ, you just copy/paste this meaningless rant in every response don't you? You have the repartee of a gerbil.

Tell the truth EJ, you just copy/paste this meaningless rant in every response don't you? You have the repartee of a gerbil.

On behalf of the American Gerbil Society (AGS), a non-profit organization providing support and education to breeders & gerbil enthusiasts, I think the last sentence (albeit short) is an insult to gerbils.

• 1 month later...

This story seems odd to me. I had the impression that MR Sukhumbhand is popular with Bangkok voters, while they are distrustful of the Democrats, just the opposite of what the story says. The reason the people of Bangkok distrust the Democrats is that the Dems have acted as the pawns of the military juntas over decades. Chuan Leekpai was well liked, but then you had Suthep and Abhisit, who were not. They are also based in the South, which Central Thais consider an outsider people. Most of the people of Bangkok prefer Thaksin, but a minority of well-to-do and monarchist hi-so hate him. Of course I am not Thai, so I may very well misunderstand the whole situation.

You do indeed misunderstand the situation slightly. Bkk is practically owned by the Dems, Isarn by Thaksin. The army is in the pocket of the yellow shirts instead of the other way around. Try reading a book or two about Thailand's political history and you will know.