Time to get heavy on Phuket’s public transport operators

webfact

While cruising along visit road toward the Saiyuan lights, the other day, a tour bus came screaming up behind my bike and started blaring its horn.

I knew he wanted me to change into the left lane, but I was intent on turning right, in a couple of hundred meters, so held my line.

There was continual blaring of the horn behind, and when I did swerve into the turn right lane, the bus followed suit, nearly forcing me off the road, before dangerously swerve all the way back across two and a half lanes ( the far left is a full time green lane) to continue on along visit road towards rawai pier

On this same road, only a few weeks ago, a tour killed two bike riders in a head on

Perhaps The bike riders were probably crossing the road diagonally, but this is Thailand... Thais do that... The bus was clearly driving outside its emergency safe stopping distance

IMHO... Big bus drivers should be banned on most of phukets roads, or as a minimum, they need regulating as much, if not more, than smaller vehicles.

Oh... Sorry... I mentioned emergency stopping distance.... Silly me

In the history of this forum have any government officials responded to any threads here?.... I would welcome Jaturong Kaewkasi, the chief policy adviser for the PLTO to visit here and answer some of the points raised on this thread..... But one can only dream

Probably better that they remain oblivious to this forum. Considering how they are acting up over Facebook, my guess is that they would find a lot of our content quite offensive.

It is quite obvious by now that they all seem to have incredibly thin skin, and are highly intolerant to criticism. All marks of very small men.

In the history of this forum have any government officials responded to any threads here?.... I would welcome Jaturong Kaewkasi, the chief policy adviser for the PLTO to visit here and answer some of the points raised on this thread..... But one can only dream

I doubt they even know about this forum.It would have to be translated 100% into Thai first and all criticism of the government would have to be edited out for them to even acknowledge its existence.

O.K., lets all get excited about a certain poster who soon will come along to say "what public transport?"

"Conductor, drum roll please".

To be fair I think the article is about minibuses and coaches used by the public.

Although it did mention failure to use the meter as an offence so taxis too!

Phuket is rife with extotionate taxis, reckless drivers, unroadwothy vehicles and intoxicated driving. Every turn is just another double priced extortion or tourists that leave a butter taste in the mouth and a dent in the tourist wallet. Very hard to have a cheap stay for a budget concious tourist and the expenses start straight from the airport. Its no wonder people are looking to holiday elsewhere, when u can do it safer and cheaper elsewhere. U cant change thai attitudes to driving their driving style, they can do whatever they want with little consequence. The only time you can see them put on a seatbelt sit upright and pay immediate attention is when theres a police checkpoint and its gonna make them lose money. Good luck

O.K., lets all get excited about a certain poster who soon will come along to say "what public transport?"

"Conductor, drum roll please".

To be fair I think the article is about minibuses and coaches used by the public.

First time offence of 1000 Bht won't worry them.

"The penalty for first-time minor offences such as neglecting to use a meter in a taxi or failing to display their ID is a B1,000 fine.

For a second offence their will be a B1,000 and temporary 30-day suspension of a licence.

A third offence will leave the driver with a fine of B1,000 and 6-months suspended licence .

Minor offences also include charge higher fares, failure to drop off passengers the agreed place and refusal to pick up passengers.

The penalty for first-time offences fore more severe breaches such as driving under the influence of alcohol or other substances will see drivers have their licences suspended for 30-days."

30 day ban for driving tourists around whilst drunk or high?!?!? - 'time to get heavy' indeed

facepalm.gif

I was a cabby in uk, Drive under the influence would be so much more severe, 36 months against the standard 12, possibly imprisonment and cab licence suspended at least 5 years if not indefinately....cmon Thailand you are just a joke.