Over-Stay Charges / Border Run Question

I have a Multi-Entry Non-Immigrant "O" Visa (good for one year from July 27th). I was supposed to have done a border run October 27th, but due to a bunch of stupid circumstances, I'm only able to get to it Monday.

I was told I will be charged 500 baht per day over-stay, and I'm fine with that (I can pay the money). My question is, I kind of wanted to go to Siem Reap and chill out for about four or five days.

When I go across the border - and stay for a few days - do I also keep getting charged the 500 baht over-stay while I'm there?

Do they charge me on the way back in?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to get back with me.

• Like 1

You are charged on exit or when arrested - be aware a new regulation may make overstay a bar to further entry to Thailand for various periods of time and that it has just been reported to be approved by PM so will likely take effect shortly - best to get caught up now.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/877278-overstay-blacklisting-starts-in-march/page-7?p=10173981#entry10173981

You are charged on exit or when arrested - be aware a new regulation may make overstay a bar to further entry to Thailand for various periods of time and that it has just been reported to be approved by PM so will likely take effect shortly - best to get caught up now.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/877278-overstay-blacklisting-starts-in-march/page-7?p=10173981#entry10173981

I read that a while back and it's only if you overstay one year or more. I'm just over by a little over a month - that's not a problem. Plus my Visa is for one year, so I seriously doubt I'm going to get "arrested".

In any case, I'm asking if - while I'm in the other country - do I still accumulate over-stay charges, or do they just charge me up until the day I crossed the border?

That is not what in contained in link however - so would not want to be the test case.

For cases of surrender, those who overstay their visa by up to one year will receive a one-year re-entry ban, and for more than one year they will be banned from re-entering Thailand for three years. Those with more than three years’ overstay will blacklisted for five years. Excessive overstay of five years or more will result in a re-entry ban of 10 years.

In cases of arrest, those who overstay their visas by up to one year will be banned from re-entering Thailand for five years and those with more than one year’s overstay period will be blacklisted for 10 years.
  • Like 2

That is not what in contained in link however - so would not want to be the test case.

For cases of surrender, those who overstay their visa by up to one year will receive a one-year re-entry ban, and for more than one year they will be banned from re-entering Thailand for three years. Those with more than three years’ overstay will blacklisted for five years. Excessive overstay of five years or more will result in a re-entry ban of 10 years.

In cases of arrest, those who overstay their visas by up to one year will be banned from re-entering Thailand for five years and those with more than one year’s overstay period will be blacklisted for 10 years.

...that's literally what it says in the quoted information you just provided. It says those who overstay by up to one year. But, again, my visa is multi-entry. I assume these are visas which have expired. I get stamped for another 90 days everytime I come back in the country for up to a year, Ijust happened to stay a little longer than 90 days.

As soon as you pay the fine at the border and exit your overstay is ended. And under existing and the new proposed (not yet enforce) rules there is no consequence. You can re-enter whenever you want without further fines or penalties.

The fine is 500 baht per day for 40 days at which point it reaches the maximum fine of 20k. If you exit on Monday it will be over 40 days but you'll only be charged the maximum 20k fine.

• Like 1

For cases of surrender, those who overstay their visa by up to one year will receive a one-year re-entry ban, and for more than one year they will be banned from re-entering Thailand for three years. Those with more than three years overstay will blacklisted for five years. Excessive overstay of five years or more will result in a re-entry ban of 10 years.

In cases of arrest, those who overstay their visas by up to one year will be banned from re-entering Thailand for five years and those with more than one years overstay period will be blacklisted for 10 years.

...that's literally what it says in the quoted information you just provided. It says those who overstay by up to one year. But, again, my visa is multi-entry. I assume these are visas which have expired. I get stamped for another 90 days everytime I come back in the country for up to a year, Ijust happened to stay a little longer than 90 days.

"Up to 1 year" means greater than 1 day, less than 1 year. Basically you.

• Like 2

?? "up to one year" is not "one year or more"

1 day is included in "up to one year" so could lead to a 1 year ban.

• Like 2

For cases of surrender, those who overstay their visa by up to one year will receive a one-year re-entry ban, and for more than one year they will be banned from re-entering Thailand for three years. Those with more than three years overstay will blacklisted for five years. Excessive overstay of five years or more will result in a re-entry ban of 10 years.

In cases of arrest, those who overstay their visas by up to one year will be banned from re-entering Thailand for five years and those with more than one years overstay period will be blacklisted for 10 years.

Yeah like 6 weeks over your 90 days. Overstaying by a little over your 90 days or overstaying by 90 years you are still an illegal alien in the country as your permission granted to stay has expired.

20K fine when you leave the country and a red overstay stamp in your passport. And if the immigration officer is in a good mood when you return youll get let back in, and if they're not you wont.

"I read that a while back and it's only if you overstay one year or more. "

"...that's literally what it says in the quoted information you just provided. It says those who overstay by up to one year. "

Maybe English isn't your first language, but "by up to one year" is not literally "one year or more."

And (from next year) if you were given a one year re-entry ban, having a visa wouldn't help. It would probably be cancelled for further use since it would have expired before your ban was up.

And all of that was if you surrendered. If you were arrested, the stakes would be higher.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

"I read that a while back and it's only if you overstay one year or more. "

"...that's literally what it says in the quoted information you just provided. It says those who overstay by up to one year. "

Maybe English isn't your first language, but "by up to one year" is not literally "one year or more."

And (from next year) if you were given a one year re-entry ban, having a visa wouldn't help. It would probably be cancelled for further use since it would have expired before your ban was up.

And all of that was if you surrendered. If you were arrested, the stakes would be higher.

Cambridge English Dictionary.

'Up To'

used to say that something is less than or ​equal to but not more than a ​stated ​value, ​number, or ​level.

As the stated value is 1 year, then anything between 1 day and 365 days is 'up to' 1 year.

Edited by Faz

wai.gif The new rules were clearly broadcast on the Thai Visa forum video news on 9 December.

You can still watch that video on the archives.

The penalty for those caught in overstay will be harsher than those who voluntarily turn themselves in as overstaying.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

wai.gif The new rules were clearly broadcast on the Thai Visa forum video news on 9 December.

You can still watch that video on the archives.

The penalty for those caught in overstay will be harsher than those who voluntarily turn themselves in as overstaying.

As has already been established time and time again on this very thread - the new rules are not in effect. The new rules do not effect me at all. End of story.

• Like 1

Problem is you have the overstay fine stamped in your passport ....so any Thai embassy or Consulate can see that and decide to refuse you a visa.

Also, when you show up in front of any immigration official, when entering the country by way of the airports or by land crossing, they could also deny you entry unless you have a visa prior to arrival.....and even then, some of the officials would claim they can still deny you entry ...for what ever reason they choose including the overstay violation of their immigration laws.

We will see just how harshly they enforce these new regulations that are supposedly soon to be enforced because they supposedly have been given the go ahead to start enforcing the new regulations.

Cheers

Anyone that has overstayed their permission to stay stamp is liable to arrest regardless of any visa they hold.

Why do people do it, 2 things are the most important in Thailand,

1, your permission to stay stamp date. and

2, your passport.

surely it is so easy to remember those 2 simple things, - ''when do i have to leave the country'' and ''where is my passport''

people that forget one of these things are irresponsible, and should travel with a responsible adult.

Anyone that has overstayed their permission to stay stamp is liable to arrest regardless of any visa they hold.

Why do people do it, 2 things are the most important in Thailand,

1, your permission to stay stamp date. and

2, your passport.

surely it is so easy to remember those 2 simple things, - ''when do i have to leave the country'' and ''where is my passport''

people that forget one of these things are irresponsible, and should travel with a responsible adult.

Why do people do it ...you ask.

Basically "they", as in some other people , do "IT" because there are no harsh enforcements of the immigration laws for that particular violation of the Thai immigration laws....And that is the best way to have IT while that is the way it has been for 30 plus years and I am more than certain 99 % of the foreigners coming to Thailand would want "IT" to remain the way IT has always been.

In other words: Please do not encourage the immigration authorities or other relevant Thai government authorities to criminalize and or harshly penalize anyone for overstaying their visa.wai2.gif

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

"Multiple entry" means you are allowed to leave Thailand, you are not obliged to do so. It's up to the immigration. You can also send a lawyer to immigration if you're afraid to show up personally. This is for Pattaya Immigration, maybe handled in a different manner elsewhere.

"Multiple entry" means you are allowed to leave Thailand, you are not obliged to do so. It's up to the immigration. You can also send a lawyer to immigration if you're afraid to show up personally. Just makes sure you proceed the passport about one week before the date of the stamp from the immigration.

This is for Pattaya Immigration, maybe handled in a different manner elsewhere.

"Multiple entry" means you are allowed to leave Thailand, you are not obliged to do so. It's up to the immigration. You can also send a lawyer to immigration if you're afraid to show up personally. This is for Pattaya Immigration, maybe handled in a different manner elsewhere.

If you have a multiple entry non immigrant visa issued by an embassy it only allows a 90 day entry unless it is one that that has an A at the end like a non-oa visa does which allows a one year entry.

Only if you apply for an extension of stay can you stay longer than 90 days or one year with a OA visa.

• Like 1

If you have a multiple entry non immigrant visa issued by an embassy it only allows a 90 day entry unless it is one that that has an A at the end like a non-oa visa does which allows a one year entry.

Only if you apply for an extension of stay can you stay longer than 90 days or one year with a OA visa.

Exactly. You *can* leave and return to Thailand without any need for a new visa. Your temporary absence should not be considered to be a border run just because you visited one of the neighbouring countries. Believe it or not, I've been through that quite a few times.

And, of course, I had a severe dispute with a German guy at the immigration who thought he knew it better and adviced me to go for a "visa walk" to Cambodia when my pensions were withhold by German banks. Guess this German is not working for Immigration in Jomtien anymore.

A multi entry visa allows only 90 day stay without leaving unless it is appended with an "A" meaning a one year extension is pre-approved and each entry will receive a one year permitted to stay stamp in that case. If you have a normal non immigrant multi entry visa stay will be stamped as 90 days and this requires a new entry to obtain a new 90 day stay.