UK expats for EU exit

Brexit bounce-back begins: FTSE UP, mortgages DOWN, pensions UP in bright post-EU future LOWER mortgage costs, higher pension values and a booming stock market were today indicating that Britain’s Brexit bounce-back may have begun.

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/687286/Brexit-bounce-back-FTSE-up-mortgages-down-pensions-up

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You´ve got to love the Express..... Reading the article made me laugh so much I am now ready to start the weekend.

Cheers!

I guess you Remainiacs need something to cheer you up.

Well done, maybe now you will stop bloody whingeing!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The conservative leadership is not going to be resolved until September, so there's plenty of time for things to settle down. Already the signs are that the only people who are twitching are the financial markets dealers. If they stop spilling their coffee every time there's a .001% change, then things will stabilise and we'll see the true picture. Have any of the contributors here actually been to a "money market"? It's mayhem - headless chickens running around with headsets on and knee-jerking at every tiny movement in the prices. The biggest worry is the way the software-trading programmes are written, though I believe there are runaway-preventers now.

Your words are like a beacon in the darkness.

The only disturbing feature is that good people's hard earned money is being hit by the speculators and pimps in the financial markets.

Outlaw the ability to gamble and there might be a chance to establish 'real' market.

How the F@** can "Currency Trader" be an occupation. Nick Leeson showed how easy it was to be a bad gambler and yet these people are let loose with your money.

and you must reduce your wishful thinking which leads to misinterpretations.

this is what the search function of Daily and Sunday Express shows which is not open to a Brexiteers interpretation or wishful thinking such as

"the HMG have said today that it will not be debated in Parliament"

because government lawyers do not decide whether there's a parliamentary debate or a vote on Brexit.

Government lawyers have now confirmed there does NOT need to be a vote in parliament before Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which triggers the two-year process of negotiating the UK's withdrawal from the EU.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/686598/Remain-hopes-dashed-Article-50-does-NOT-need-Commons-approval-EU-exit-lawyers

So HMG have said that Article 50 can be invoked without a parliamentary vote?

Its up to the government of the day to make the decision, not Parliament. The instructions from the majority of voters in the referendum instructed the Government of the day to LEAVE the EU. The decision will be taken by either T May or A Leadsom the election for the post is open for all 150,000 Conservative members to elect who they think is best suited on 9th September, we will then be into the Party Conference Season with Conservatives being last, usually early October, thats when we should see when the Article 50 will invoked, either way it should be done by January. Leadsom says she would do it quickly, May is not in so much of a hurry. Its important to make sure that we have the right negotiators in the team to prize out of the EU when the time comes.

The referendum has no legal force - it was advisory only. The government can ignore it if they choose to. Let's see how that scenario might work out smile.png

The conservative leadership is not going to be resolved until September, so there's plenty of time for things to settle down. Already the signs are that the only people who are twitching are the financial markets dealers. If they stop spilling their coffee every time there's a .001% change, then things will stabilise and we'll see the true picture. Have any of the contributors here actually been to a "money market"? It's mayhem - headless chickens running around with headsets on and knee-jerking at every tiny movement in the prices. The biggest worry is the way the software-trading programmes are written, though I believe there are runaway-preventers now.

As I posted when the result came in, the people and organizations who really play the market made fortunes on the volotility eitherside of the referendum vote.

Now they'll do what they need to ensure profits going forward.

The Brexit delight at financial institutions suffering is misguided.

People who have lost savings are suffering, but you'd be an idiot to believe that any government is going to allow the UK's financial sector to be run down and moved overseas.

Listen to what the candidates for the next MP are saying - they want to remove the minimum wage, remove rights to maternity pay, remove the working hours directive, 'not happy with gay marriage', want to reduce welfare, remove human rights law.

This is not freedom, other than freedom to abuse.

Since when did a politicians promises turn into reality?????

People who have lost savings are suffering, but you'd be an idiot to believe that any government is going to allow the UK's financial sector to be run down and moved overseas.

Who lost savings?

My money is still in the bank.

Who lost? Time will tell. Personally lost on some gained on others. George Sorros made 119 million euros on Deutsch Bank alone. Anyone who thinks the leave vote gave two fingers up to the rich is dreaming.

Who lost savings?

If its in a sterling account then you'd better leave it there and not bring it to Thailand otherwise the answer to your question might be a tad too personal.

I have Thai baht in my Thai bank, enough to last me for my expected stay here (purchased at 51.5).

And GBP in my English bank account for when I return to the UK next year.

(I did think about bringing an extra million, then thought nah, Thailand is too unstable at this time)

Any gains or losses due to exchange rate fluctuations will remain 'potential' until that time.

And I have no idea what the exchange rates will be next year.

The USD could implode, the Deutsche Bank could fail, the Baht could easily collapse.

Who can tell with exchange rates? If anyone could tell, they'd be rich.

But what I do know, Brit living overseas who didn't hedge before Brexit was extremely foolish.

Edited by MissAndry

Who lost savings?

If its in a sterling account then you'd better leave it there and not bring it to Thailand otherwise the answer to your question might be a tad too personal.
I have Thai baht in my Thai bank, enough to last me for my expected stay here (purchased at 51.5).

And GBP in my English bank account for when I return to the UK next year.

Any gains or losses due to exchange rate fluctuations will remain 'potential' until that time.

And I have no idea what the exchange rates will be next year.

The USD could implode, the Deutsche Bank could fail, the Baht could easily collapse.

Who can tell with exchange rates? If anyone could tell, they'd be rich.

But what I do know, Brit living overseas who didn't hedge before Brexit was a fool.

I am interested in how you "hedged". Care to explain? Personal finance so no problem if you don't. May help people in the future if you do.

Since when did a politicians promises turn into reality?????

Erm,.... Since the promise to hold a referendum on EU membership!

Or were you not paying attention?!

One swallow does not a summer make,,,,,

The EU referendum is not legally binding, fact, but any government who rejected the voice of the people would be committing political suicide, the current HMG has chosen NOT to ignore the result, but to accept it indeed many of the scaremongering from remainers have now changed their tune on the prospects of the UK outside of the EU.

I wonder what would have happened if Remain had won, would the Brexiteers be creating a fuss or would they just have accepted the result?

If you want a bit of a laugh have a look at the bit in the express today with Derek Lammy ( that knock about comedian from North London ) and Andrew Neil.

The EU referendum is not legally binding, fact, but any government who rejected the voice of the people would be committing political suicide, the current HMG has chosen NOT to ignore the result, but to accept it indeed many of the scaremongering from remainers have now changed their tune on the prospects of the UK outside of the EU.

I wonder what would have happened if Remain had won, would the Brexiteers be creating a fuss or would they just have accepted the result?

If you want a bit of a laugh have a look at the bit in the express today with Derek Lammy ( that knock about comedian from North London ) and Andrew Neil.

The referendum's "Advisory" status is exactly that. Don't be surprised when there comes a huge spin campaign over the next 2 years to allow westminster time to work out a "compromise" ;)

" The EU referendum is not legally binding, fact, but any government who rejected the voice of the people would be committing political suicide, "

So they're more likely to just spin it out, discuss things in the party-AGMs in the autumn, and try to square the circle without exposing the deep splits in their (and their MPs') opinions which do only reflect the deep split in the country as-a-whole.

I foresee some uncomfortable constituency-meetings over the coming months, as pro/anti-EU rank-and-file try to pressure their representatives, to either stand by the referendum result or to respect its non-binding nature. And those MPs will also be trying to persuade their supporters of the correctness of their own POVs.

In my view an early general-election as quite possible, before any formal request is made to exit, and a worst-case scenario would involve major-parties splitting along pro/anti-lines, with their paymasters demanding that they adhere to their own special interests. This one could run and run.

Anyone who believes this to be impossible need only look at the mess which successive governments have been making, of the decision to expand Heathrow/Gatwick/Stansted airports, in the face of growing continental competition !

I found this in "The Economist" and thought it was quite interesting re the "A weak pound will be a massive boost for our export industry" claim. I don´t have the 2008-09 etc figures so I am just quoting The Economist here without claiming that their assumption is either true or false:

Capital Economics, a consultancy, reckons that the pound will end up at around $1.20. If so, moans about the cost of imported gadgets or foreign holidays will only get louder. Unfortunately, the Brexiteers' retort - that a weak pound is good news for exporters and thus the economy - is unconvincing. The experience of 2008-09, when exports barely responded following sterling's depreciation, is telling: the hit to confidence and credit from Brexit is likely to hurt exporters more than a weak pound helps them.

Why are you wondering, Farage was very clear on the matter.

He was prophetic in his statement:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

I was wondering if they ( the Brexiteers ) would still be banging on about things that happened a couple of weeks ago or whether they might just have accepted the situation that we would staying in the EU?

" The EU referendum is not legally binding, fact, but any government who rejected the voice of the people would be committing political suicide, "

So they're more likely to just spin it out, discuss things in the party-AGMs in the autumn, and try to square the circle without exposing the deep splits in their (and their MPs') opinions which do only reflect the deep split in the country as-a-whole.

I foresee some uncomfortable constituency-meetings over the coming months, as pro/anti-EU rank-and-file try to pressure their representatives, to either stand by the referendum result or to respect its non-binding nature. And those MPs will also be trying to persuade their supporters of the correctness of their own POVs.

In my view an early general-election as quite possible, before any formal request is made to exit, and a worst-case scenario would involve major-parties splitting along pro/anti-lines, with their paymasters demanding that they adhere to their own special interests. This one could run and run.

Anyone who believes this to be impossible need only look at the mess which successive governments have been making, of the decision to expand Heathrow/Gatwick/Stansted airports, in the face of growing continental competition !

Its fair to say that all the major political parties in the Uk are in some form of disarray and they all want to time to re group before looking at the chances of winning a GE, so I think the timing of a GE in the near future are very slim, particularly as I thought the date for the next GE had been fixed and would need Parliament to amend that to inflict another one upon us in short order.

As you say there will be interesting discussions taking place in the constituencies and its not a forgone conclusion that Teresa May is going to walk, favourites often dont win Conservative elections.

It will not be easy to heal the divides in both parties, will personalities be put on one side for the good of the party and the country? Take note mr Gove.

I was wondering if they ( the Brexiteers ) would still be banging on about things that happened a couple of weeks ago or whether they might just have accepted the situation that we would staying in the EU?

That´s a rhetoric question, innit?

Personally, and I´ve said it before here on TV, had the Remain side won a majority in the referendum, the Brexiteers, I strongly believe, would have come out with the pitchforks and hell would have broken out. Conspiracy theories would still dominate TV and forums around the world, DC and the Remain camp would be called traitors and there would have been calls to (poilitcal) arms from the Brexiteers.

Good thing is, we will never find out, unless of course, the next govt will decide to ignore the peoples´ will. But that´s a completely different scenario then.....

Its fair to say that all the major political parties in the Uk are in some form of disarray and they all want to time to re group before looking at the chances of winning a GE, so I think the timing of a GE in the near future are very slim, particularly as I thought the date for the next GE had been fixed and would need Parliament to amend that to inflict another one upon us in short order.

As you say there will be interesting discussions taking place in the constituencies and its not a forgone conclusion that Teresa May is going to walk, favourites often dont win Conservative elections.

It will not be easy to heal the divides in both parties, will personalities be put on one side for the good of the party and the country? Take note mr Gove.

I don't think you will find that a GE has a fixed date. There is a maximum time for a term in office but a GE can be called at any time before that date.

There are only two candidates in the running and The Times have done a real hatchet job on Leadsom this morning though she should have been more politically aware of how her comments could be spun.

Whilst the Labour Party are in such a mess it could be an ideal chance for May to cement her position and throw in some manifesto promises to strengthen her hand.

Though an election is not due, as I understand it, the sitting government/PM had the perogative to dissolve the house should they wish and force an election.

As I've argued all along, Brexit will deliver the UK the Europe that Brexiteers ranted against.

The deal for tarrif free access to the EU markets will leave the UK accepting EU laws and regulations (including the free movement of people) while the UK loses it's control over those laws and regulation, importantly loses the veto the UK have as a full member of the UK.

We need to trade with Europe, anyone of the 27 remaining nations can veto the deal the UK tries to make with the EU.

Don't expect a good deal.

Especially given Farage's disgraceful behaviour at the EU parliament.

Yes.
The first rustling of pound they would have accused Europe.
A tanned face in the street, the blame on Europe.
A little less profit to the city, it is Europe.
Beaten by Iceland, laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png Damned Euro.
Etc ...

I don't think you will find that a GE has a fixed date. There is a maximum time for a term in office but a GE can be called at any time before that date.

There is a fixed date and the date is the 7th May 2020, a few years ago Cameron took into Parliamentary law that all future governments should run for 5 years, therefore taking away the sitting administrations option of calling an eelction when they thought they had the best chance of winning. I think this was done in 2012, but it is fact.

Edited by nong38

There is a fixed date and the date is the 7th May 2020, a few years ago Cameron took into Parliamentary law that all future governments should run for 5 years, therefore taking away the sitting administrations option of calling an eelction when they thought they had the best chance of winning. I think this was done in 2012, but it is fact.

Can't be a#$ed to Google. If what you say is true why is there talk of a GE before Christmas?

A deal with EU takes the two sides to agree and they dont want to make a deal which we think is fair then we dont sign it, its simple who would sign a bad deal? Works both ways, you want a deal or you dont want a deal? The problem is that if its the Brussels boys who are doing the deal are they doing for themselves for the other members? The BBs just run off the tax receipts of the member states and trade does not come their way, they just make the deals, everyone will need to keep their eyes on the ball.

Can't be a#$ed to Google. If what you say is true why is there talk of a GE before Christmas?

People talk without knowing all the facts, some are economic with them to suit their own case.

It is a fact that the next General Election will held on Thursday 7th May 2020.

A deal with EU takes the two sides to agree and they dont want to make a deal which we think is fair then we dont sign it, its simple who would sign a bad deal? Works both ways, you want a deal or you dont want a deal? The problem is that if its the Brussels boys who are doing the deal are they doing for themselves for the other members? The BBs just run off the tax receipts of the member states and trade does not come their way, they just make the deals, everyone will need to keep their eyes on the ball.

Thanks. Did not realise how simple it is. Boris is upset with May because she will not guarantee certain conditions which he used in his campaign. How does one guarantee conditions before negotiations start?

The EU have been saying they will not discuss a deal until article 50 is triggered which sets the clock ticking on UK withdrawal from EU - it is important to understand the distinction between leaving the EU under article 50 conditions and deal encompassing how the UK trades with the EU after it leaves.

Thanks. Did not realise how simple it is. Boris is upset with May because she will not guarantee certain conditions which he used in his campaign. How does one guarantee conditions before negotiations start?

You talk about it and see what sort of agreement you can get or not as the case might be, we can walk away, they need us as much as we need them, the big sticking point is going be the "open border policy of the EU" we have said we want nothing to do with, we wont to control our own borders, I will watch with interest developments, I hope that an amicable agreement can be reached but the member states will need to bring pressure to bear on Brussels.

No one is going to do a deal that is not in their interests to do it. If I were selling a car for say £10000 and someone offered me £5000 I think I would walk away, on the other hand if they offered me £9000 we might talk about a compromise. I think thats how negotiations work, you may other ideas, but I would always reserve the right to walk away.