Solar Power Availability in Ubon Ratchathani

sezzo

You are brilliant, so brillinat no doubt you have an isolating transformer at point of supply, an adequate earthing system at both point of supply & end load, protection at point of pupply & no doubt you have a hugh public liability insurance.

One of the reasons I am not to active on Thai Visa is because of smart Ar...es like you. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, do you! If you would like to know how i did it just ask. Presume Nothing!

OK so I am being a bit of a smart A, but I'm just pointing out what would be needed to operate such a system in a safe manner. There is so much miss information put out on TV.

I am a licenced electrical / fitter machanic, was a linesman also, designed, constructed, maintained, earth resistance investigation, deep drill earthing systems for most of my working life in all aspects of electrical distrubition including 12.7 KV & 19.1 KV SWER systems.

Sorry Guys. A typo. power line should read 17000 Baht, used Gal poles and ran SWER. works great, and as for the China Deal can show you invoices !

I'm interested in the SWER. Something I haven't come across before. In Thailand it is normal to use neutral for the return with an earth connected to it at regular intervals en route.

What are the limitations of single wire earth return in terms of maximum current and voltage loss? Is such a system recognised in LOS (village house wiring notwithstanding of course)?

As for your China project it is quite feasible considering the small amount of power. Just about enough for a few lights, TV and a small pump.

If you want some actual facts, I have three separate systems. One is on a farm that is off the grid. It has two 280 watt solar panels and two 125 AH deep cycle flooded batteries. The panels hook to a 20 amp mppt charge controller. From the batteries, they hook to an eight hundred watt inverter. The inverter runs a TV, satellite dish, two small fans and the lights. Yes, the inverter is oversized but I thought it would last longer than a smaller one.

The second system is at the house. My rather large UPS died and I didn't want to buy another expensive one. We have frequent power outages so I decided to go solar at home also. Again, two solar panels but four 65 AH sealed AGM batteries because they are in the house (no fumes). Same charge controller and inverter as at the farm. That system runs my computer, lights, air purifier and fan when needed. The computer is normally on from morning until bedtime. This system is isolated from the main electric. No worries about lightening strikes, surges or outages.

The third system is again two solar panels hooked to a grid tie inverter that feeds my electrical panel and direct to the electric meter. That grid tie inverter has island protection and if the main power fails, it simply shuts down automatically and does nothing. I bought all the components from China and have a spare charge controller and inverter in case something fails. This is now the third year and I have had no problems.

I also have a 2,500 watt generator for long outages. It is hooked a ten amp circuit in my electrical panel and that connects to a double pole double throw switch. No way can the generator be on at the same time as the main power. Even my wife can't screw that up. No dangerous double end plugs for me. The generator runs the refrigerator, TV's, lights and the household water pump.

I'd like to go with a larger solar system but I have too many trees. Even a small amount of shade pretty much kills a panel output. As a side remark, I never discharge my batteries lower than 12.1 volts. The battery life will be much longer if you don't abuse them. My system automatically shuts down at 11.8 volts but I watch it closer than that and if no sun for a couple of days, I shut down manually at 12.1 volts.