Which wifi 3 in 1 printer lets me refil the ink

laislica

I have HP 5510,3 in 1 but as I spend half the year away, the ink dries out.

Replacement 564 cartridges are expensive and HP don't like them to be refilled.

Once the chip on the cartridge as counted enough pages it says the cartridge is empty.

If you refill it you have to go through hoops to get the printer to print again.

It prints random crap, wastes paper and ink in its attempt to make you buy replacement cartridges.

I have similar problems with the HP wifi 3 in 1 we have in Spain and of course, the same model is not available in both countries and so there are two different formats of the cartridges!

Canon printers (as far as I know) also try to force new genuine ink sales.

Although not wifi, I am considering the;

Epson L220

The Epson L220 is an all-in-one with integrated ink system, ideal for home offices and students looking to print, scan and copy at an ultra-low cost. Featuring Micro Piezo printhead technology and Epson genuine ink, you can easily print for less without compromising on quality.

The L220's 12 month (or 15,000 page) warranty and service support, provides peace of mind and help if you need it.

Does anyone know if the ink "gums" the works up if left unused?

Epson do have wifi ink tank models available but if the tank dies if left it will not be any better than the HP.

Ideas please and thank you.

Nice one thanks.

It looks slightly cheaper than the Epson equivalent L365 and doesn-t have the big tank on the side.

Perhaps I could remove the cartridges and seal em in plastic for 6-7 months but would the jets "bung up"?

Most shops selling printers at local IT malls, Fortune Tower in Bangkok for instance, will sell you a printer with a refill tank system installed for a relatively low price. My Canon MP287 with 4 color ink supply was about B2000 two years ago.

It is not without problems: The printer operating system and the tanks don't play together well. The system tries to suspend printing for "Low Ink" when there is actually plenty in the tank requiring printer "Re-Sets" Refilling the tanks is a messy and sometimes frustrating task and the tube ribbon that carries the ink to the printhead sometimes kinks or snags, cutting the ink flow. I have also found that most of the refill ink sold is of very low quality: poor colors and durability and not waterproof.

The printheads will dry out and clog if you do not run something through several times a month. I think the high temperatures in Thailand are a factor. My room gets very hot when I am away and the AC is turned off.

It really is a trade off. It's very nice not to be buying expensive cartridges every time I have a print job but there are hassles. Maybe there are better systems than what I have.

I have no idea, if you can do that, but it should be possible, as they are very easy to remove.

What I do is print a test document once a week via a Scheduled Job on my PC, and no problems what ever with clogged up "Jets"

Ink jet will always dry out and try to prevent using cheaper inks, Suspect you would be better served with a current laser printer as the price has come down to ink jet range for normal black printers/multi and if you need color for photos it is cheap and much better quality and life to have made at any photo shop. Any time you need color you can take to a shop and cheaply print from a thumb drive.

Finding the 564 cartridges was not easy but Index had them.

The full set cost a staggering 2.809 Baht!

The Printer needed several restarts before it finally recognised the Genuine HP cartridges!

At last it's working so I can take my time about selecting a printer.

Maybe the smallest and cheapest possible USB mono laser.

The HP has scan which I use a lot

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

I have the Brother DCP-T500W and I am very happy with it.

I have no problem Scanning Documents wireless with my PC's / iPad / from either room in the house so the wireless reception is good IMO.

To scan from my PC's I don't use the installed Scanning Software but just my imaging program (Irfanview) and that works perfectly, on my iPad I use the Brothers iPrint&Scan app.

I have used it a lot since I own it (approx since may) and have printed a lot (a couple 100 at least) of documents with it already but the supplied ink is still oke and has not needed a refill (yet)

However as with everything YMMV biggrin.png

Good luck with your decision.

post-10213-0-74221300-1449811614_thumb.j

Thanks MJCM, my main problem is the half year not used and ink drys up, heads clog etc.....

Very frustrating to return and need to print something and can't.

This time however, the laptop had been updated to windows 10 as a clean install.

The printer wouldn't install on the network unless there were working cartridges.....

The work around was to connect by USB, then convert ot wifi.

Then at least I could scan the document to email.

It's not always about printing LOL

The second problem is the way HP try to force me to spend huge amounts of money when a few baht on a bottle of ink is all that's needed.

It's only because of two class actions that they lost that they allow any cartridge, flagged by them as empty, to continue to work.

They are not nice people!

Laser jet. I have one overseas that gets used one month out of twelve. Works perfectly. No more games with ink jet printers that spend half their life cleaning heads.

I use a basic black & white model, around 2000 baht. If i need color then there are no shortage of print shops in Thailand I can take a copy of a document to on a flash drive or SD card.

I have a Brother MFC J-2510 whose cartridges I take out and wrap securely in plastic wrap for the six months that I am not in Bangkok. I recently tried using a refillable black cartridge and had quite a scare when the printer threw up error messages and the cartridge jammed in the printer. The refillable cartridge obviously wasn't carefully made to specs. I found a store that stocked the Brother cartridge. I pried out the refillable, inserted the Brother cartridge and restarted my printer and computer and everything worked fine again. No more refillables for me!

Thanks TV members, your input geve me much food for thought.

I had not considered laser cos of size and price.

Although the HP is just about OK, for this visit anyway, I felt the need for retail therapy and a new toy!

Yesterday I bought a Fuji Xerox CP116/119 Colour printer.

It has wifi and wifi direct so mobile devices can connect and use it.

It's white and for a colour machine, quite small.

Cost 5,150b but I also bought proper Laser photo paper and printing paper.

Therefore the total cost of this therapy was 5,641b, not bad for such joy!

I did look at a Brother mono laser at 1,570b I think.

Very small, no wifi but I could hook it up by USB.

but the retail therapy kicked in - job done.

Many thanks

This thread is done.

Congrats, but weren't you initially looking for a 3 in 1 ?

Aye but they are HUGE!!!

So this unit fits in a spot I have for it.

The HP already has a spot and will be the scanner even after the ink's dead

When the HP finally breaks, I can buy a thin, A4 Epson scanner for 2,700b,

or whatever other stand alone scanner I fancy.

Thanks for your help

Aye but they are HUGE!!!

Thanks for your help

I agree, but I love it that I have 1 device which can do everything. Color Printing I don't use that much and ideally I would like a Laser with Wifi and Scanning ability but I think that kind of device will cost a fortune biggrin.png

Glad that you are happy with your choice and that''s what counts thumbsup.gif

Aye but they are HUGE!!!

Thanks for your help

I agree, but I love it that I have 1 device which can do everything. Color Printing I don't use that much and ideally I would like a Laser with Wifi and Scanning ability but I think that kind of device will cost a fortune biggrin.png

Glad that you are happy with your choice and that''s what counts thumbsup.gif

Around 10,000b gives you a choice of 3 in 1 laser colour printers and it's Christmas so go treat your self he he!

I would have done it except they are HUGE LOL

Archived