Interior fan/AC gone dead.?.

Happy Grumpy

Car: Kia Picanto 2010.

Ploblem:

Interior fan has settings from 0-4.

Aircon has a button to turn on/off. Fan needs to be on at least number 1 for the AC to turn on regardless of the on/off button being on.

A few days ago the fan would not come on. Obviously the aircon too.

Strangely, after 10 minutes or so it would come on as normal when turned on.

A few days later, while driving, it died.

Has not come on again since.

Tested:

Not a lot.

Checked the fuses. Switched them around, no difference.

All other electrics work flawlessly - windows, horn, lights etc.

Okay TV Experts.

What's you're diagnosis?

1 Drive to a auto electrician and let them sort it out

Oh sure, that will be done.

The verdict is still out on whether their solution will be to change all the tires and inflate them to 350psi.

Then get surprised, angry and threatening when I complain that it didn't fix it.

Burned connector somewhere in the wiring loom behind the fan switch or possibly the fan resistor as already mentioned....Need a "Dynamo" shop to sort out.....

What city you in?

Also Google your concern....With Kia there should be multiple incidents.....Could give you a guideline toward repairing.....

Had a similar problem recently, fan didn't work on setting 1 and 2 but did on 3 and 4. It turned out to be the resistor as mentioned by others, and was replaced at a cost of 390 Baht by the Nissan service centre.

Sophon

Great.

thanks.

So it seems it may be the 'fan blower resistor'.

Does anyone know if the Thais have a name for it, or understand the word 'Resistor'.

Also, I presume the look something like THIS.

It being a Kia, I think the official dealerships are Yontrakit.

Should many fan blower resistors be interchangable or generic, or do each model of cars usually have a unique one? A local shop would be preferable than going to a Yontrakit dealer.

Thanks greatly, Sirs.

Bangkok has excellent taxi services, park it up, forget about it and use them. And don't buy a Kia again.

Friend of mine has a Honda Civic that had the same problem on the way back from BKK. Called into a Honda garage they said it needed a hole new set up 8,000bt+ worth. Got it done at local air place for under 1,000.

So it's not just Kia that has problems.

I would like to ask when was the last time it had a service/clean out of air con:

Edited by fredob43

Bangkok has excellent taxi services, park it up, forget about it and use them. And don't buy a Kia again.

Nothing wrong with Kias. Like the Hyundais they were a bit crap in the beginning, but they are very good cars now. I had a Hyundai Getz for 5 years, never had one thing go wrong with it.

Mrs. Happy took it to a car aircon shop at the front of our village.

tested everything, replaced some wiring, done. Topped up some gas.

300 baht.

Incidentally, there were 2 newer Hondas in there getting done when I wandered along. biggrin.png

Topped up the gas.....Increased the pressure............giggle.gif

Of just the fan? huh.png

Fan was the issue, not the AC. :)

Mrs. Happy took it to a car aircon shop at the front of our village.

tested everything, replaced some wiring, done. Topped up some gas.

300 baht.

Incidentally, there were 2 newer Hondas in there getting done when I wandered along. :D

Sounded like wiring (it was a burned junction connector blade behind the fan switch in my Pajero when the same happened) - at 300b couldn't have been too much of anything else.....Good everything is OK.....

Thanks for letting us know....Too often there's no feedback....

Edited by pgrahmm

Wow you really just do not get it do you.

There was never any problems with the AC in the OP's car.

The vehicle interior blower/Fan was malfunctioning. This has absolutely nothing to do with the A/C or how much gas/pressure it has and the fact it required a small top up is purely coincidental.

Go pull the A/C fuse from your ol' truck and tell me the blower does not work in the cabin.

I understand exactly what you are saying but it has nothing to do with the problem the OP had.

The A/C pump has a high/low pressure cut off switchs. They are there purely to stop the compressor from turning on (to prevent damage) when the gas pressure exceeds the predetermined limits (high or low) and in no way has anything to do with the functionality of the fan/blower in the cabin of the vehicle.