You do not always have to believe what officials tell you to be a fact

konying

An observation today at Pattaya immigration.

While waiting to get my ticket, one guy in front of me wanted a letter of residency to open a bank account.

Officer/lady serving him, advised him that unless he has at least a 2 months visa he will not be able to open a bank account.

She reassured him 5 times, leaving poor guy in despair for whatever reason.

The truth is. not only he did not need letter of residency as clearly some branch advised him, but he can most certainly open a bank account even on a 15 day stamp.

Just recently, had a mate over, who lives in UK but holds Latvian passport, so he gets only 15 day stamp.

He easily opened a bank account at Krungsri Bank, Pattaya Tai branch.

His account is restricted from transferring money from Thailand, but no problem transferring to Thailand or doing any deposits/withdrawals.

So, just heads up, just because someone wears a uniform, it does not mean they are telling the facts.

I found when you ask same question but different person, in Thailand , usually get totally different and often contradicting answers.wai2.gif

PS, I did approach him and told him she was wrong and where to go to open an account, but he refused to accept it claiming but immigration told him otherwisefacepalm.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whistling.gif Here is the 80 percent rule which I often quote.

This is the polite version, suitable for young children to hear.

The 80 percent rule.....80 percent of everything you read, see. or hear is Male Cow Fecal material anyhow, so believe nothing until you verify it yourself.

The topic of opening a bank account comes up countless times. Each branch can make up their own rules. You just have to be polite, and sometimes go to several branches before finding a friendly one.

But i can say after my very recent experience in Krung Thai bank in Chumphon, having a non-imm visa made the difference between opening the acct and not opening it.

At first, the rep wanted to refuse opening acct without work permit. Then he pulls out a large binder and flips to the section for foreigners opening acct.

4 or 5 bullet points in thai. He points to the one saying work permit (the english words 'work permit'). I saw below it there was one that said "NON IMMIGRANT". i pointed to that one.

I had a backup plan, with a friend of a friend at a different branch, but good to know again that i could do it myself.

There is a thread in the jobs/business/banking forum about opening bank acct and you hear of people doing it on visa exempt entries and tourist visas.

I remember opening an account at the bank of Ayudhaya. Initially they refused claiming I needed a work permit. I then produced a million bahts worth of traveler's cheques and asked if he knew of anywhere else I could deposit them. A minute later the branch manager was consulted and agreed to open an account for me with atm card etc.

In Thailand , money talks ..... Very loudly.

The 80 percent rule.....80 percent of everything you read, see. or hear is Male Cow Fecal material anyhow, so believe nothing until you verify it yourself.

cheesy.gif

So how do you get your confirmation.. by hearing or reading.. or doing.. if doing.. its a a real B.S. rule that would take too much time, and if it is by reading and listening it would fall under your 80% rule.

I just check where I get my information from, the service provider himself not someone else. They set the rules not others.

I think they should also not believe what spme foreigners who know nothing count as truth...

In essence what the OP states is actually factual!

Whether in being factual, there are rules being bent or broken is another matter.

The Fact, albeit not necessarily being the truth, is that you can indeed acquire a legit bank account with the minimum of fuss and bureaucracy.

I am unsure of what you are conveying in your one liner without link or anecdotal evidence to back it up, maybe you could elucidate on whether you are being helpful or taking a cheap swipe at the OP ?

cheesy.gif

So how do you get your confirmation.. by hearing or reading.. or doing.. if doing.. its a a real B.S. rule that would take too much time, and if it is by reading and listening it would fall under your 80% rule.

I just check where I get my information from, the service provider himself not someone else. They set the rules not others.

When I wanted to unlock my phone for calls from/to abroad, I went to the TRUE shop at Tesco Lotus Nua. There I was told they needed a bank statement of the last 6 months of my account. When I returned with my bank statement, guess what? No statement needed...

So, at least in my case, the 80% rule also applies for the service provider itself, I guess. It was just another person at the very same terminal.

Yesterday i wanted to change euro's to bahts at a new bank which claimed to be the no1 foreign investment bank.

They wouldn't change it when i showed my EU driverslicense. They needed my wife's passport which she gave them.

Every bank just makes up their own rules and their employee's even don't know their own rules.

In Siam area they can change money within a minute, outside the citycentre it takes 10-20 minutes and driverslicense is fine for ID.

Just recently, had a mate over, who lives in UK but holds Latvian passport, so he gets only 15 day stamp.

He easily opened a bank account at Krungsri Bank, Pattaya Tai branch.

Thats the essence of the thread.

It was and is still possible to open a simple savings account (no credit, no strings attached) without much hassle if you go to the right bank at the right place.

When your wife asks why you need to go to Pattaya: open bank account tongue.png

From my own experience in 2009 being in Pattaya as a tourist (30 day visa exempt stamp).

Went to some Bangkok Bank branch, want to open bank account.

"You need certificate of residence from immigration".

Fortunately I did not go the catch 22 way.

Instead went to Kasikorn Bank, Royal Garden.

"Where you live?"

-> showed business card from hotel and all good.

Went out after 20 min with ATM card, bankbook and access data for internet banking.

Same service for a mate in 2012.

I have had my joint account in BKB for over 26 years.

I had a tax rebate from UK gov. When I went in to deposit it I was told

NO

Check is made out to you send it back and get one made out to you and your wife.

Honestly they are like children.

I recently tried to open a savings account in my home country, after applying on line had a call must provide certified documentation, made a call another service rep said no can go to a different branch with original docs, did this, was told no, called again said sorry yes can, went back to a different branch again said sorry cant, they then called the bank in question and got the diffinitive answer of no cant do must send certified docs....so in all 6 times given misleading/incorrect information....its not just Thailand this happens.

Rule 1 Don't go to a branch in a shopping centre go to a main branch.they are scared to doing anything that they might get flak off. See the currency mgr or a senior officer.I have helped a few people even on tourist visas never a problem,they use my address.

Yes it also happens in Africa <3

I recently tried to open a savings account in my home country, after applying on line had a call must provide certified documentation, made a call another service rep said no can go to a different branch with original docs, did this, was told no, called again said sorry yes can, went back to a different branch again said sorry cant, they then called the bank in question and got the diffinitive answer of no cant do must send certified docs....so in all 6 times given misleading/incorrect information....its not just Thailand this happens.

I was told same thing in pattaya by door checkers went to counter 9 to get certs for licences mentioned to lady about bank wanting cert but you don't do them yes we do she replied 5 mins 4 photos and 300 bht later 3 certs one car one bike one bank job done. Door paper checkers have no clue when it comes to certs

There is a possibility of three problems with every foreigner/Thai interaction.

Problem 1

Thai doesn't know the answer, but will give one anyway so not to appear stupid.

Problem 2

Thai person does know the answer, but their English isn't good enough to tell foreigner, so just says 'not have' or similar.

Problem 3

Thai person can't understand your question (their poor English), but too proud to admit can't understand you, so just give out random information unrelated to your question.

Problem 1

Problem 2

Thai person does know the answer, but their English isn't good enough to tell foreigner, so just says 'not have' or similar.

Problem 3

Thai person can't understand your question (their poor English), but too proud to admit can't understand you, so just give out random information unrelated to your question.

All very true, in this case though neither apply.

He only wanted residency certificate.

She did not refuse that, she advised he could not open a bank account, even after getting one

Problem 1

Problem 2

Problem 3

Problem 1

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Variation 1: Thai doesn't know the answer, but could ask his boss - does not do that because the boss would think he is stupid

Variation 2: Thai doesn't know the answer, and knows his boss is stupid - does not risk to cause loss of face to his boss

Talking about banks and different rules... I usually come to Thailand with a load of Euros to deposit to my TFB account (former expat here, stayed in Thailand quite a few years, I still have my account with conditions only people with a work permit can get).

Every TFB branch I've tried enforces more or less the same complete nonsense:

- only perfectly pristine banknotes are accepted, many notes get rejected with defects I sometimes can't even see without my glasses on: microscopic stains or tears, some hand-written mark...

- they don't accept more than 3K€ in one operation, so I have to do it more than once

- they insist on photocopying every note and make me sign the copies (this by itself takes almost one hour!)

AFAIK only TFB does this. Usually, right after I'm done with them, I take all the rejected notes to the nearest SCB, TMB branch and exchange them for Thai cash in minutes: quick glance at my passport, a form to sign and I'm done. I then deposit the cash back to my TFB account (and keep some).

My account at TFB is 15+ years old, credit almost never gets below 50K. It's been up to 6 figures+ when I was working in Thailand. You'd think this would make me a good customer they want to keep? nah... I once complained a bit more than usual in the "home" branch for my account because they just had rejected almost 1/4 of my Euro notes, telling them (with a yim siam on of course... been in Thailand long enough, I know the rules) that no other bank does this and suggesting that I would move my account elsewhere. "Well yes, why don't you do so if it's more convenient to you?" is the reply I've received, more or less loosely translated. Go figure.

The OP has made a very important point for anyone residing in Thailand...ask the same question to 10 different Thai officials...and one will likely get 10 different answers...very confusing at times...

Ask a sales clerk if their store carries a certain item..."No have"...look around for the item your self..."have"...

This is Thailand...take charge of your future by doing everything yourself...do not depend upon any help from folks who make up things as they go along...IMHO

I never assume anything anyone tells me is a fact.

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Will that do?

Depends on where you're standing.

No it doesn't.

(Unless you're an astronaut)

Yes it does, and most important, the time of the year

I never assume anything anyone tells me is a fact.

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Will that do?

Sun is not rising or setting. It stays (almost) the same place in relation to the earth. The earth rotates and the visible horizon reveals the position of the sun during a rotation. At some point in human history, the names of "West" and "East" were arbitrarily applied to a compass pattern which does not coincide directly with the (so-called) North Magnetic Pole.

Archived