You do not always have to believe what officials tell you to be a fact

konying

I never assume anything anyone tells me is a fact.

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Will that do?

Don't always believe what TV posters write cheesy.gif

Of course it doesn't. Its a fairy tale for the school children.

East/west is just "approximate".

In June it rises at 66° and sinks at 294° in Bangkok.

Not quite 90° and 270°, more like ENE and WNW.

Currently the sun never shines to the front of our house which faces north.

In June we have plenty of sun shining to the front and mostly after sunrise.

Those Europeans would not even believe that the sun shines from the north biggrin.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently tried to open a savings account in my home country, after applying on line had a call must provide certified documentation, made a call another service rep said no can go to a different branch with original docs, did this, was told no, called again said sorry yes can, went back to a different branch again said sorry cant, they then called the bank in question and got the diffinitive answer of no cant do must send certified docs....so in all 6 times given misleading/incorrect information....its not just Thailand this happens.

You must be English me thinks.

Last year I went back to the UK for the first time in 15 years. When I tried opening a current account with my passport and driving licence, no way. All the east Europeans I worked with could open an account with just their passport and occasionally with a dodgy letter from their landlord. After eight weeks of working without a bank account, thus nowhere to pay in, a friend working with offenders had to make a copy of their lease agreement which the bank accepted without batting an eyelid.

So a law abiding Englishman couldn't open an account even though I have saving accounts at other banks but as an "offender" I could get an account straight away. Something ain't right with their way of thinking.Much worse than here.

Rule 1 Don't go to a branch in a shopping centre go to a main branch.they are scared to doing anything that they might get flak off. See the currency mgr or a senior officer.I have helped a few people even on tourist visas never a problem,they use my address.

Sorry I have to disagree with you about that.

I have found the bank branches at shopping centers like Big c to be easier. Myself I never had an issue my first bank account was early 90's, they asked for my work permit told them I didnt have one yet they spoke to the manage and allowed me to open an account, but allot of things were much easier back then. Since that time I have helped several friends over the years with visa exempt stamps and tourist visaa to open accounts and always found the small branches at shopping centers and Big C / Testco etc to be easier.

"You do not always have to believe what officials tell you to be a fact."

Of course, I don't believe them one word. Just being an "official" doesn't make these Thais magically to non-Thais. This is not "racist", but officials are always Thais and it is about Thai "officials".

I'm fully aware that this is a non-constructive post but the whole set up of this thread has the potential to be a no-brainer. At least for the people who live here and have to endure the Thainess of officialdom day after day after day.

I really would love to give a recipe or hint how to crack this system of incompetence and despotism.

And of course, as always, there are exceptions... But they are... just exceptions. Once you have found them (persons), take care of them as long as they are there.

PS: I have written down a recurring experience with custums, as unspecific as possible, but I deleted it as I don't want to get into trouble professionally.

PPS: I really enjoy being in Thailand/Pattaya despite its "officials" who are mostly like the BIBs, just with different costumes.

I remember opening an account at the bank of Ayudhaya. Initially they refused claiming I needed a work permit. I then produced a million bahts worth of traveler's cheques and asked if he knew of anywhere else I could deposit them. A minute later the branch manager was consulted and agreed to open an account for me with atm card etc.

In Thailand , money talks ..... Very loudly.

It's not the only thing that talks - a friend of mine also wanted to open an account with Bank of Ayudhaya. He found a sub-branch where the young man in charge was gay (my friend is also gay) and not only was he able to open a bank account with ATM card, he also got Internet Banking access - all on a visa waiver entry in his passport. The old International Homosexual conspiracy at work (he says) - a variation of "It's not what you know but who you know".

Of course, I don't believe them one word. Just being an "official" doesn't make these Thais magically to non-Thais. This is not "racist", but officials are always Thais and it is about Thai "officials".

I'm fully aware that this is a non-constructive post but the whole set up of this thread has the potential to be a no-brainer. At least for the people who live here and have to endure the Thainess of officialdom day after day after day.

I really would love to give a recipe or hint how to crack this system of incompetence and despotism.

And of course, as always, there are exceptions... But they are... just exceptions. Once you have found them (persons), take care of them as long as they are there.

PS: I have written down a recurring experience with custums, as unspecific as possible, but I deleted it as I don't want to get into trouble professionally.

PPS: I really enjoy being in Thailand/Pattaya despite its "officials" who are mostly like the BIBs, just with different costumes.

That's why I'm happy to pay 20,000 baht a year to a Thai lawyer to handle the whole thing for me, renewals, reporting, the lot. Once every three months he sends a guy on a motorcycle around who collects my passport and does the 90-day reporting as well

Yesterday i wanted to change euro's to bahts at a new bank which claimed to be the no1 foreign investment bank.

They wouldn't change it when i showed my EU driverslicense. They needed my wife's passport which she gave them.

Every bank just makes up their own rules and their employee's even don't know their own rules.

In Siam area they can change money within a minute, outside the citycentre it takes 10-20 minutes and driverslicense is fine for ID.

A couple of banks on BTS stations used to change foreign currency,no id at all.Very convenient at the time.

I never assume anything anyone tells me is a fact.

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Will that do?

Don't always believe what TV posters write cheesy.gif

Of course it doesn't. Its a fairy tale for the school children.

East/west is just "approximate".

In June it rises at 66° and sinks at 294° in Bangkok.

Not quite 90° and 270°, more like ENE and WNW.

Currently the sun never shines to the front of our house which faces north.

In June we have plenty of sun shining to the front and mostly after sunrise.

Those Europeans would not even believe that the sun shines from the north biggrin.png

I've been told it shines out my arse.

I remember opening an account at the bank of Ayudhaya. Initially they refused claiming I needed a work permit. I then produced a million bahts worth of traveler's cheques and asked if he knew of anywhere else I could deposit them. A minute later the branch manager was consulted and agreed to open an account for me with atm card etc.

In Thailand , money talks ..... Very loudly.

It's not the only thing that talks - a friend of mine also wanted to open an account with Bank of Ayudhaya. He found a sub-branch where the young man in charge was gay (my friend is also gay) and not only was he able to open a bank account with ATM card, he also got Internet Banking access - all on a visa waiver entry in his passport. The old International Homosexual conspiracy at work (he says) - a variation of "It's not what you know but who you know".

Internet banking as well,that's a bonus.That must make me gay as well,always had my suspicions,now it's confirmed.

That's why I'm happy to pay 20,000 baht a year to a Thai lawyer to handle the whole thing for me, renewals, reporting, the lot. Once every three months he sends a guy on a motorcycle around who collects my passport and does the 90-day reporting as well

More money than sense.No wonder they think we're stupid.I enjoy dealing with officals,it's how you find out how the country your"living in"works.Sometimes,if your there at lunch time you get invited over to their restaurant table and get to know them on a more personable level.Works for me.Tell you what,i'll do your dirty work for you for 15k.

I would go one step further, and say that you should almost never believe what they tell you. This extends to legal beagles, branch managers of banks, government officers, the BIBS and so on...this statement clarifies my own, personal experiences. You ask three different people a question, you will probably get three different answers. One branch manager will tell you that you need a WP to open a bank account, another you need a non immigrant and so and so forth. Try different branches, and you will get to open yr account.

whistling.gif Here is the 80 percent rule which I often quote.

This is the polite version, suitable for young children to hear.

The 80 percent rule.....80 percent of everything you read, see. or hear is Male Cow Fecal material anyhow, so believe nothing until you verify it yourself.

Also applies to all the stories told on Thai Visa. For some reason people seem ready to accept a tale of woe posted by some other farang no matter how confused, one-sided or fantastic it may be. The only requirement is that it pits a noble innocent farang against a sinister conspiratorial Thai, then of course it must be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Quite often this attitude is buttressed with some comment about supporting fellow farang or the farang community ... although if the same farang had an encounter back in farangville, they'd probably tell one another to bugger off.

The topic of opening a bank account comes up countless times. Each branch can make up their own rules. You just have to be polite, and sometimes go to several branches before finding a friendly one.

But i can say after my very recent experience in Krung Thai bank in Chumphon, having a non-imm visa made the difference between opening the acct and not opening it.

At first, the rep wanted to refuse opening acct without work permit. Then he pulls out a large binder and flips to the section for foreigners opening acct.

4 or 5 bullet points in thai. He points to the one saying work permit (the english words 'work permit'). I saw below it there was one that said "NON IMMIGRANT". i pointed to that one.

I had a backup plan, with a friend of a friend at a different branch, but good to know again that i could do it myself.

There is a thread in the jobs/business/banking forum about opening bank acct and you hear of people doing it on visa exempt entries and tourist visas.

You "hear of it" because it happen all the time. What you might hear from a non-knowledgeable bank employee simply can't be accepted at face-value, and once they tell you they can't do it, they most definitely will resist backing down at all costs (and their fellows won't want to overrule them because of the "loss of face" that'd cause). For the 873,345th time, if one branch won't open an account for you, just keep trying. This is Thailand. Few really know what they're talking about. (PS - Opened mine on a 30d stamp; no difficulty whatsoever)

The topic of opening a bank account comes up countless times. Each branch can make up their own rules. You just have to be polite, and sometimes go to several branches before finding a friendly one.

But i can say after my very recent experience in Krung Thai bank in Chumphon, having a non-imm visa made the difference between opening the acct and not opening it.

At first, the rep wanted to refuse opening acct without work permit. Then he pulls out a large binder and flips to the section for foreigners opening acct.

4 or 5 bullet points in thai. He points to the one saying work permit (the english words 'work permit'). I saw below it there was one that said "NON IMMIGRANT". i pointed to that one.

I had a backup plan, with a friend of a friend at a different branch, but good to know again that i could do it myself.

There is a thread in the jobs/business/banking forum about opening bank acct and you hear of people doing it on visa exempt entries and tourist visas.

You "hear of it" because it happen all the time. What you might hear from a non-knowledgeable bank employee simply can't be accepted at face-value, and once they tell you they can't do it, they most definitely will resist backing down at all costs (and their fellows won't want to overrule them because of the "loss of face" that'd cause). For the 873,345th time, if one branch won't open an account for you, just keep trying. This is Thailand. Few really know what they're talking about. (PS - Opened mine on a 30d stamp; no difficulty whatsoever)

when/where did you attempt to open your account?

It wasn't the first time I was almost refused account opening unless I could provide a long-stay visa (non imm).

I never get tired over the amusement when you see someone go up to a group of Thais to ask for directions to some place or another, and you see each one in the group start talking and pointing in different directions....cheesy.gifrolleyes.gif

Truth is of course, in Thailand there are actually a large selection of ways to get from A to B, and nobody seems to be able to agree which one is the best or fastest.....Same with most other things in Thailand...

There is a possibility of three problems with every foreigner/Thai interaction.

Problem 1

Thai doesn't know the answer, but will give one anyway so not to appear stupid.

Problem 2

Thai person does know the answer, but their English isn't good enough to tell foreigner, so just says 'not have' or similar.

Problem 3

Thai person can't understand your question (their poor English), but too proud to admit can't understand you, so just give out random information unrelated to your question.

Oh how true.

Years ago I bought a truly massive gold necklace with medallion portraying H.R.M. At that time basically for investment purposes. Never mind.

Necklace sleeping in a safe most of the time.

When I need to go to any sort of government office (including immigration / Amphoe) etc,etc,) I dress nicely and wear this massive gold necklace. And massive it is.

= Not much waiting, no frivolous questioning. Never.

Appearance and behavior is everything in this country.

Cheers.

Problem 1

Problem 2

Thai person does know the answer, but their English isn't good enough to tell foreigner, so just says 'not have' or similar.

Problem 3

Thai person can't understand your question (their poor English), but too proud to admit can't understand you, so just give out random information unrelated to your question.

Oh how true.

Years ago I bought a truly massive gold necklace with medallion portraying H.R.M. At that time basically for investment purposes. Never mind.

When I need to go to any sort of government office (including immigration / Amphoe) etc,etc,) I dress nicely and wear this massive gold necklace. And massive it is.

Cheers.

Rather strange, because when ever i go to immigration or amphur, all i wear is shorts and a tshirt and i do not get questioned.

I never thought showing off your wealth as a foreigner was appreciated by government employees

The 80 percent rule.....80 percent of everything you read, see. or hear is Male Cow Fecal material anyhow, so believe nothing until you verify it yourself.

The Old Essex, UK, version is: 'Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see, and let your money be the last thing you part with'.

Teach your kids folks.

Otherwise, the 80% Rule, just as wise and good. Luv it!

Also applies to all the stories told on Thai Visa. For some reason people seem ready to accept a tale of woe posted by some other farang no matter how confused, one-sided or fantastic it may be. The only requirement is that it pits a noble innocent farang against a sinister conspiratorial Thai, then of course it must be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Quite often this attitude is buttressed with some comment about supporting fellow farang or the farang community ... although if the same farang had an encounter back in farangville, they'd probably tell one another to bugger off.

Also applies to all the replies of Suradit.

20% of a typical reply makes sense.

Unfortunately, the replies are formulated in such an aggressive and humorless way that 80% of this 20% is lost.

Problem 1

Problem 2

Problem 3

Oh how true.

Cheers.

Rather strange, because when ever i go to immigration or amphur, all i wear is shorts and a tshirt and i do not get questioned.

I never thought showing off your wealth as a foreigner was appreciated by government employees

Everyone seem correct here, but ditch the unnecessary 'massive over the top' gold before someone nicks it............Can I have it please?

Archived