Any Quality Music Sites Left (Live or Recorded)?

henrik2000

Hello, is there any decent live music left in Pattaya? I now checked the following places:

- Pluag Mai, 3rd road (their spelling): technically good Thai music, but soulless, in the ambiance of a department store’s washing machine department, quite empty on Saturday midnight

- Samran, 3rd road: nice semi-open air wooden Thai style music pub, ok food with trilingual menu (Thai, English, Photographic), but Thai band rather incompetent, couldn’t even be first act in Tawan Daeng Chaiyaphoom, also quite empty on Saturday midnight. I think they host Carabao on Dec 24.

- Jazz Pit (at PIC Kitchen): lovely living room ambiance, but sole musician (guitarist) playing to a karaoke tape of other jazz instruments, no customers

- girlie bar rock bands: mostly trashy, also not my favorite style, the big one just inside Walking Street slightly better

- Bamboo Bar: sedate as always, sing English as strings of (obviously to them) undecipherable phonems, some people-watching possible

Not yet checked this time:

- Blues Factory, Lam Morrison, Walking Street: Liked his high-energy rock for 20 minutes, but found smoking inside small bar exhausting

- Hollywood Disco: ambiance wasn’t my style last time

- Chamnat (?) Isaan: used to have lame Isaan music and male dancers, outdoors by the road

Never seen:

- Baan Morlam, Jomtien soi 7: What did you think? Jomtienites recommend it, but perhaps they are not impartial.

I used to love Kum Punn when it was in Beach Road soi 2, with excellent (frappucinoed) Thai music from Carabao to popped-up luuk thung to Endorphine, some real characters on stage and a good crowd. Nothing like that any more?

Apart from any *good* live music pubs and special concerts, I’d also be interested in bars that play recorded music in a quality way, with good sound and no outside sounds (if not hard rock). Thanks!

Henrik2000 - you beat me to this by a matter of hours!

I'm coming to Pattaya in January and am also a live music fan - used to like the bands they had at The Blues Factory (Walking Street). Remember seeing ex-members of Savoy Brown jamming there and there was a guitarist called Snowman who played regularly.

I think Blues Factory closed a while ago - anyone know.....has it reopened?

I also think that there was a place called "Lock and Load" and one called "Leo's" (Naklua?).

Basically, anywhere with live Rock & Roll, Blues, Rhythm & Blues, Jazz in the Pattaaya, Jomtiem, Naklua areas please......anyone?

Edited by VBF

Henrik2000 - you beat me to this by a matter of hours!

I'm coming to Pattaya in January and am also a live music fan - used to like the bands they had at The Blues Factory (Walking Street). Remember seeing ex-members of Savoy Brown jamming there and there was a guitarist called Snowman who played regularly.

I think Blues Factory closed a while ago - anyone know.....has it reopened?

I also think that there was a place called "Lock and Load" and one called "Leo's" (Naklua?).

Basically, anywhere with live Rock & Roll, Blues, Rhythm & Blues, Jazz in the Pattaaya, Jomtiem, Naklua areas please......anyone?

Hi

I`m fairly sure Blues Factory has re opened, now under Tony ( of the gyms` ) ownership.

Lock and Load dispensed with their band some time ago, a shame, used to be very good and a personal favourite of mine, now karaoke I think.

Leos closed a while back.

There is a bar with a band on the same soi as the former Leos, first on your right, I wasn`t keen on it with a recent visit but it had a fair number of customers so could just be my taste in music.

Snowman is now playing at Mood in Pratumnak. Great place for live music. The Venue over on the dark side, by the lake, is great also. Lion Pub has great entertainment from time to time.

Sadly, Leo's is no longer. But he still has a small bar in Naklua. Great place to hang out if you are in the area.

The New Nordic has some interesting gigs coming up. Should be fun! Hard Rock has some really interesting stuff from time to time also. And Salsa at the Holiday Inn is nice.

Snowman is now playing at Mood in Pratumnak. Great place for live music. The Venue over on the dark side, by the lake, is great also. Lion Pub has great entertainment from time to time.

Sadly, Leo's is no longer. But he still has a small bar in Naklua. Great place to hang out if you are in the area.

The New Nordic has some interesting gigs coming up. Should be fun! Hard Rock has some really interesting stuff from time to time also. And Salsa at the Holiday Inn is nice.

Craigt3365:

Mood in Pratumnak. sounds interesting. Soi 6 Pratumnak I presume?

Found their site https://www.facebook.com/Pattaya.Thailand.Bars/posts/625228007594778 but the locations link is dead

Looks like it's here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/View+Talay+2A/@12.9127731,100.8694582,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x31029661a97b0f23:0x7fb645d46a713cbe?hl=en

So is it "get off the baht bus going down Thappraya, FROM Pattaya, but BEFORE Thepprassit, then turn right towards the beach?"

Walking distance from there, would you say? (I know some of those roads go a very long way!)

Edited by VBF

Here's their facebook page with a good map:

https://www.facebook.com/moodpattaya/?fref=ts

It's all the way down towards the end of the soi. Walkable for sure, but a bit far. Scooter taxis are right at the top of the street. You'll want to get off at the light at the top of the hill and head over from there.

Utopia on the corner of Soho sq and walking st (band originates from the old Climax bar on walking st)

One of the blues factory owners agreed with me the guitarist was as good or better than Lam Morrison

They have a little Filipino guy singing who has a phenomenal voice

Here's their facebook page with a good map:

https://www.facebook.com/moodpattaya/?fref=ts

It's all the way down towards the end of the soi. Walkable for sure, but a bit far. Scooter taxis are right at the top of the street. You'll want to get off at the light at the top of the hill and head over from there.

Thanks Craig - i see on the Facebook page, there's a link to another of heir websites http://moodpattaya.com/ although it hasn't been updated for a while.

The 2 lady singers are easy on the eye.

If only they were easy on the ear.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

That reminds me of being in a London pub years ago where there was a desperate piano player whose attempts were grating on everyone's ears. Customer walked up to him and asked "Is that hard to play mate?" Pianist replied "No not really"

Customer: "Well it's f***iing hard to listen to - do me a favour and shut up"!

Cruel but damn funny! gigglem.gifgigglem.gif

Edited by VBF

Well a Pattaya girlie bar is simply not the place to look for quality music.

I also don't see why *Thai* bands couldn't do the rock covers - in upcountry Thailand i've heard very nice western rock covers from Thai bands (in between Thai songs-for-live etc.). And they might tend to add some Thai spice to it, while Filipinos might not. Following the lyrics might be easier with Filipinos of course. There's also a great Thai rock scene (even though it is not my favorite style within Thailand).

Well a Pattaya girlie bar is simply not the place to look for quality music.

I also don't see why *Thai* bands couldn't do the rock covers - in upcountry Thailand i've heard very nice western rock covers from Thai bands (in between Thai songs-for-live etc.). And they might tend to add some Thai spice to it, while Filipinos might not. Following the lyrics might be easier with Filipinos of course. There's also a great Thai rock scene (even though it is not my favorite style within Thailand).

There are some fantastic Thai bands that do rock covers here. And many love them. Sadly, they tend to do the same covers. After a bit, you're desperate to hear something else!

The Filipinos do a much better job with the lyrics.

I havent been yet but some friends of mine went to a relativly new place on Soi Bukkao called The Cave......They had a great time.

Presumably this place? http://pattaya-bars.com/the-cave/

"The Cave is located on the Soi Buakhao leg of Soi LK Metro. in the premises that were formerly the Submarine Agogo"

I'll be staying not 500 metres from there next month!