PM Prayut opens test run of Purple Line train service

webfact

PM opens test run of Purple Line train service

911-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha this morning presided over the test run of the electric train on a section of the "Purple Line" route from Bang Phai to Bang Yai in Nonthaburi.

The test run started at 9 am from the Bang Phai maintenance centre in Nonthaburi to Bang Yai covering a total back and forth distance of five kilometres.

The total route covers 23 kilometres from Tao Poon to Bang Yai.

The people will be allowed to ride the train in May next year free of charge on a test run and commercial run will begin in August.

Starting train fare will be 16 baht and total route is 40 baht.

With the total length of 23 kilometers, the Purple Line comprises 16 stations along the elevated route.

There are four parking areas and a maintenance service at Bang Phai station.

In the future, the line will be connected to the MRT Blue Line at Bang Sue Station, to the Red Line operated by State Railway of Thailand at Bang Son station, as well as the Pink Line at the Government Complex, and the Blue Line to Ta Phra station.

After the test ride this morning, Gen Prayut proceeded to preside over the ceremony to celebrate the successful drilling of the country’s first railway tunnel under the Chao Phraya river at 11.15 am.

The underwater section is an extension of the Blue Line from Hua Lampong to Bang Khae.

The route will become the first metro line that serves travel demand between the suburb and downtown areas of Bangkok.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-opens-test-run-of-purple-line-train-service

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-14

23 km for 40 baht isn't that cheap. Riding a motorbike costs half of that.

Sure but not everyone wants to ride a motorbike. I just hope that this will lessen the traffic problems. Though I don't have much problems when I use the bike. The car that is a different story.

Sure but not everyone wants to ride a motorbike. I just hope that this will lessen the traffic problems. Though I don't have much problems when I use the bike. The car that is a different story.

Traffic to Bang Sue isn't that bad outside busy hours. But most houses in the moobaans are still unoccupied and the huge condo's are just finished.

I bet that within a year the population along this line has doubled, many people are waiting for this purple line and then will come to live there.

Also many more condominiums will be built soon and it seems they get bigger and bigger all the time. I even saw one newly built condominium called "super rich", now who wants to live there?

The whole area will be under construction for the next decades with concrete trucks driving around all day long, just like now. Also the whole area along the river will be developed i guess. On the cityside it has allready started.

You think it costs 20Baht for a 23km Rod Motorci trip !?

Care to try again.

Absolutely. Thian obviously doesn't use motocy taxis.

My motobike drives 45 km on a litre if i drive fast in the city...On the long run driving 80 constantly it goes 55- 60 km a litre.....And i can also bring passengers with me to make it even more cheap.

Anything else sir?

You think it costs 20Baht for a 23km Rod Motorci trip !?

Care to try again.

Absolutely. Thian obviously doesn't use motocy taxis.

My motobike drives 45 km on a litre if i drive fast in the city...On the long run driving 80 constantly it goes 55- 60 km a litre.....And i can also bring passengers with me to make it even more cheap.

Anything else sir?

Lots more, minion.

So you want to compare you privately owned splutter machine to public mass transportation, on some cost of fuel/km basis.

So how much to transport X 1000 people per hour in Bangkok using your service please?

Where can I buy a ticket?

What exactly is you point? Please back up with a proper basis of comparison and analysis, otherwise its just meaningless.

Try again?

My point is that my motobike drives for less than half the price of the skytrain. Do i have to translate that for you sir?

Oh and it's also faster then the bts and brings me right to my destination.

So you got it free and don't pay tax or insurance - right?

Oil & driving licence? Maintenance?

Me, I'll stick to public transport as not only is it cheaper overall, it's a lot safer too.

My point is that my motobike drives for less than half the price of the skytrain. Do i have to translate that for you sir?

Me, I'll stick to public transport as not only is it cheaper overall, it's a lot safer too.

I live close to the purple line but will only use it for the rare occasion to go into the city and visit Central World plaza or EMquartier 2 times a year or so.

For the rest i prefer my motobike. Living in a moobaan is impossible without having my own transport or i would have to use taxi's/mototaxi's to bring me home from the bts-station.

I have driven 30000 km on a motobike in BKK and never had an accident. I don't drive it for the costs but for convenience and speed. Also it gives a great feeling to drive motocycles.

But i really hope the traffic will get less busy in Nonthaburi if the bts is running, i don't think it will though. For securityguards and other personell it's still cheaper to drive a motobike then using the purple line.

Plus, you don't have to put up with idiot drivers. That's got to be worth something. coffee1.gif

I don't think purple line is BTS.

I live close to the purple line but will only use it for the rare occasion to go into the city and visit Central World plaza or EMquartier 2 times a year or so.

For the rest i prefer my motobike. Living in a moobaan is impossible without having my own transport or i would have to use taxi's/mototaxi's to bring me home from the bts-station.

I have driven 30000 km on a motobike in BKK and never had an accident. I don't drive it for the costs but for convenience and speed. Also it gives a great feeling to drive motocycles.

But i really hope the traffic will get less busy in Nonthaburi if the bts is running, i don't think it will though. For securityguards and other personell it's still cheaper to drive a motobike then using the purple line.

I also live close to the Purple Line. I just cannot see much use for it as far as I am concerned.

Going to Central World as you say (or Siam Paragon or Nana Plaza for that matter) means;

get to the station in Nonthaburi (taxi meter or motorbike taxi)

purple to Tao Puun

change to underground

underground to Sukhumvit

out and up to Skytrain at Asoke

skytrain to central/world or siam paragon or whatever

not cheap and very time consuming

if two persons go together a taxi meter is probably cheaper or about the same cost and in normal circumstances quicker

Used to live in Bangyai until recently. Talking to locals who had to commute into the city I suggested it would be a boon to them and make their journey easier.

I was surprised to find that a lot of them were not interested in using it on the following grounds.

1) It does not go where they need to go without a change to a bus etc whereas there are buses that do.

2) Now that all the roadworks have disappeared the road traffic is running smoothly again.

3) Too expensive. Might not seem like much to us but to a Thai it can seem like a lot especially if they can save 40 - 50 baht a day even if it does add 15 minutes traveling time.

This new line will make no profit at all for several years after its opening. It will take about 5 years or more before an increase in local population makes it profitable.

Still ...... One day it will come good if people don't mind the wait.

Used to live in Bangyai until recently. Talking to locals who had to commute into the city I suggested it would be a boon to them and make their journey easier.

I was surprised to find that a lot of them were not interested in using it on the following grounds.

1) It does not go where they need to go without a change to a bus etc whereas there are buses that do.

2) Now that all the roadworks have disappeared the road traffic is running smoothly again.

3) Too expensive. Might not seem like much to us but to a Thai it can seem like a lot especially if they can save 40 - 50 baht a day even if it does add 15 minutes traveling time.

This new line will make no profit at all for several years after its opening. It will take about 5 years or more before an increase in local population makes it profitable.

Still ...... One day it will come good if people don't mind the wait.

Exactly, i didn't know we had to change to the metro as well and i wonder how long it takes to let's say Siam station.

But we can also take the riverboat from the chao praya station, maybe that's a lot faster and more relaxed.

I also think it's too expensive for the locals and i wonder how long it takes before one has parked his/her car in one of the parkinggarages connected to the bts.

This purple line seems to have many stations, not good for a fast comfortable ride in my opinion.

Probably a membership or 30 day pass will be cheaper or none of the commuters will use the bts (it's not bts i know that but i just call it like that).

I hope Nonthaburi gets a good riverboat and pier connected to the skytrain, how about those plans of building more piers and more boats? Last thing i read was that they'll build 20 new piers, that would be great.

It's cheaper for those that don't have a motorbike, and probably cheaper than if you take into account buying and running a motorbike.

40 Baht? In Bangkok?

From Nakorn Chaisri Rd. to BTS Victory Monument I pay 50 Baht (locals 40) for a bit more than 4 km. Bus line 14 would be 9 or 13 Baht depending on type.

Also many more condominiums will be built soon and it seems they get bigger and bigger all the time. I even saw one newly built condominium called "super rich", now who wants to live there?

Maybe Super Rich is just financing the construction.

Can we please stick to the freakin topic. Its not expencive !

And its the best solution for working people to go from A to B. less risk of getting killed in traffic, no pollution, its air conditioned.

And so the price is right. Anyone does not agree scr u . First comment here starts negative again, what is that with you people, its never good enaugh is it.

Can we please stick to the freakin topic. Its not expencive !

And its the best solution for working people to go from A to B. less risk of getting killed in traffic, no pollution, its air conditioned.

And so the price is right. Anyone does not agree scr u . First comment here starts negative again, what is that with you people, its never good enaugh is it.

Nope it's not good enough. If the locals can't afford the public transport then something is wrong and they won't use it.

So we have to take the purple line to Bang sue, change for the metro to Mo-Chit, climb the stairs there and then take the bts to Siam? I don't think so. If we travel like that with several persons then it's cheaper/more convenient to go by taxi who gets us from home right to the destination.

Seen the huge construction going on around Chatuchak weekendmarket i don't understand why they didn't build a skytrain between Bang Sue and Mo-chit. That whole area is under construction now so it could be build pretty easy.

Edited by Thian

Well, the PM has had his ride on the train.

So now we can get on with finishing the system so it's safe and reliable, the Big Boss' visit cost us 4 days work due to his security requirements closing off great swathes of the system from Friday to Monday.

It will be a boon to the area and those further north who can use the Park and Ride facilities. The P&R will give reduced parking costs to those who use the train and you'll be able to pay using the same smart card as for travel, that card will work on the existing Blue Line too :) but not on the BTS, BRT or ARL :( You'll have to wait for the OTP sponsored Mangmoom (Spider) card to go live for that level of integration.

The Purple Line is on the wrong side of the river for us (but still only a 20-30 minute drive to the P&R), but once the Red Line opens (particularly the Thammasat extension) in 2018 I'll be able to ride into town in air-conditioned comfort for probably less that the expressway tolls (currently 105 Baht each way).

So now we can get on with finishing the system so it's safe and reliable, the Big Boss' visit cost us 4 days work due to his security requirements closing off great swathes of the system from Friday to Monday.

It will be a boon to the area and those further north who can use the Park and Ride facilities. The P&R will give reduced parking costs to those who use the train and you'll be able to pay using the same smart card as for travel, that card will work on the existing Blue Line too smile.png but not on the BTS, BRT or ARL sad.png You'll have to wait for the OTP sponsored Mangmoom (Spider) card to go live for that level of integration.

The Purple Line is on the wrong side of the river for us (but still only a 20-30 minute drive to the P&R), but once the Red Line opens (particularly the Thammasat extension) in 2018 I'll be able to ride into town in air-conditioned comfort for probably less that the expressway tolls (currently 105 Baht each way).

You mean that if one takes the purple line at Bang Yai he has to buy a ticket, then at Bang sue buy a ticket for the metro and at Mo-chit buy another ticket for the bts again? And they even don't sell return tickets! What a great improvement this purple line is, NOT.

Nope it's not good enough. If the locals can't afford the public transport then something is wrong and they won't use it.

So we have to take the purple line to Bang sue, change for the metro to Mo-Chit, climb the stairs there and then take the bts to Siam? I don't think so. If we travel like that with several persons then it's cheaper/more convenient to go by taxi who gets us from home right to the destination.

Seen the huge construction going on around Chatuchak weekendmarket i don't understand why they didn't build a skytrain between Bang Sue and Mo-chit. That whole area is under construction now so it could be build pretty easy.

Regardless of whether you use it or not, it is going to be well used, particularly during peak hours.

Regardless of whether you use it or not, it is going to be well used, particularly during peak hours.

I hope so, we had to suffer from construction for many years so now it's time to pick the fruit from that.

But if i want to go to Swampy by the purple line i even have to change trains 4! times with my suitcases....so a taxi is still a much better option for me.

And i even don't know if there's an elevator at Mo-chit or i will have to carry my luggage upstairs in the heat. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Thian

It will be a boon to the area and those further north who can use the Park and Ride facilities. The P&R will give reduced parking costs to those who use the train and you'll be able to pay using the same smart card as for travel, that card will work on the existing Blue Line too smile.png but not on the BTS, BRT or ARL sad.png You'll have to wait for the OTP sponsored Mangmoom (Spider) card to go live for that level of integration.

You mean that if one takes the purple line at Bang Yai he has to buy a ticket, then at Bang sue buy a ticket for the metro and at Mo-chit buy another ticket for the bts again? And they even don't sell return tickets! What a great improvement this purple line is, NOT.

No, you will be able to buy a ticket from Bang Yai to Mo-Chit (change trains at Tao Poon but no new ticket), but then must get a new ticket for the BTS :(