Can A Tourist Get A SIM Card To Connect To Internet?

JetsetBkk

That's what SIM cards are for.

So long as...

their phone is SIM unlocked (not locked to a carrier in another country),

their phone is compatible with the local Mobile Provider network (Frequency/Band and Technology can use 2100/Band 1 HSPA+ or LTE)

Selected SIM is also 3g/4g

SIM account is activated and topped up and an Internet Subscription plan selected

the phone's APN is properly configures (should be automatic, but can also set manually)

then all should be good.

AIS LTE is only operating right now in TEST MODE.

DTAC and TRUE have their 4G networks running in many locations.

What phone make/model do they have, what BANDS and TECHNOLOGY does it work with?

As of today, 850, 1800, 2100 are operating.

(900 is being auctioned off this month and is unavailable)

Edited by RichCor

That's what SIM cards are for. <snip>

Can get a sim at the Airport arrival lounge. Do it every 4 months.

Thousands do it every year.

A locked phone is really the most likely hurdle.

4G, well if he really needs it.

What are his expectations in terms of speed?

Thanks all for responses. My friend is monitoring this topic.

All I know is that it is an iPhone and he wanted to know if he can get a SIM card at the airport. I've no idea what speed he is wanting. Doubt he'll be doing a lot of downloading - just email and Facebook probably.

So I think all his questions are answered.

The only issue is whether his iPhone is locked to a service provider in Denmark - his country.

He may well contact me later via Facebook with more info if there is an issue.

When i went through Suvarnabhumi Immigration last week, there were stacks of free D-Tac SIM's: 3 & 4G free for the taking right at the immigration kiosks. They even have B15 worth of credit.

On dddave's note, also suggest your friend read the following similar posts on the topic:

What SIM to get when we land at Suvarnabhumi?

Started by alt, 2015-12-07 20:24

Free SIM cards at the airport, without ID. How is this possible ?

Started by cyrilmadrid, 2015-11-26 14:22

Thanks for the info. thumbsup.gif

make sure they have a passport handy - all sims need to be registered since earlier in the year. If you do not top up credit every few months then the sim will be deactivated and on the next trip you need to go through regitering another one - an easy work around is to top up on the internet 20bht every couple of months and then the sim is active when you / your friend returns.

make sure they have a passport handy - all sims need to be registered since earlier in the year. If you do not top up credit every few months then the sim will be deactivated and on the next trip you need to go through regitering another one - an easy work around is to top up on the internet 20bht every couple of months and then the sim is active when you / your friend returns.

On 1-2-Call (AIS), top up Bt500 and it lasts for a year. It may actually require less, but I know 500 works.

Edited by Chicog

So long as...

their phone is compatible with the local Mobile Provider network (Frequency/Band and Technology can use 2100/Band 1 HSPA+ or LTE)

SIM account is activated and topped up and an Internet Subscription plan selected

the phone's APN is properly configures (should be automatic, but can also set manually)

then all should be good.

What phone make/model do they have, what BANDS and TECHNOLOGY does it work with?

So long as...

then all should be good.

On 1-2-Call (AIS), top up Bt500 and it lasts for a year. It may actually require less, but I know 500 works.

I have DTAC and can buy time: dial *1013

30 days - 2 baht

90 days - 6 baht

180 days - 12 baht

Can only use this service if >200 baht total usage, <365 days current validity, and >10 baht current balance.

My balance currently valid until 17th October next year.