Post-Paris, plastic-bag use is the low-hanging fruit for Thais

webfact

STREET WISE
Post-Paris, plastic-bag use is the low-hanging fruit for Thais

Achara Deboonme

Thailand produces 7,000 tonnes of plastic waste every day

BANGKOK: -- Last September, 15 major retailers joined hands to launch the no-plastic bag campaign, urging consumers to bring their own when shopping on the 15th of each month. Those who do so receive discounts at some shopping centres. The retailers now plan to increase the number of no-bag shopping days.

Television channel Thai PBS has been running an anti-plastic bag campaign for the past few weeks, featuring celebrities delivering sad stories about the impact on wildlife. Each year thousands of fish and turtles die from ingesting discarded plastic bags after mistaking them for jellyfish. The message of the campaign is clear: Thais should cut the habit of taking plastic bags that are freely available in many shops.

If that isn't motivation enough to kick the addiction, consider that the manufacture of plastic and the elimination of plastic waste is a major source of global warming.

The carbon footprint of plastic is about 6kg of carbon dioxide per kilogram, according to environmentalist group www.timeforchange.org. Most plastic bags weigh between 8 and 60 grams, depending on the size and thickness, while the common shopping variety is 25-40g.

Bear in mind that since plastic was introduced in the early 20th century, use of the bags use has proliferated in every country. The latest figures show that some 299 million tonnes of plastic was produced in 2013, much of it destined for landfills and the oceans.

The US Environmental Protection Agency reports that over 380 billion plastic bags, sacks and wraps are consumed in the United States each year. Meanwhile the Wall Street Journal reports that US retailers spend $4 billion each year on 100 billion plastic shopping bags.

Citizens all around the world will need to alter their lifestyles if the goals agreed under the Paris Agreement are to be achieved.

Perhaps the lowest of the low-hanging fruit for Thais is reducing our use of plastic bags by carrying our own totes.

The "new diet" won't come without headaches, though. As a so-called Kitchen of the World, Thailand overflows with places to eat. Yet most Thais rely more on street food and home cooking than restaurants, and those come with plenty of plastic packaging, which is still the most hygienic and convenient way of wrapping food items like fresh meat and seafood.

Yet if Thailand is serious about cutting down plastic consumption, a lot can be done.

Consumer product companies can lend a hand by using less of the stuff in product containers. Coca-Cola has demonstrated the possibilities with its drinking-water eco-crush bottle, which uses 35 per cent less PET plastic. That technology should also be applicable in containers in other industries.

A national campaign could be launched to promote recycling of the ubiquitous plastic bottles, with a token deposit fee paid by retailers to encourage consumers to take p art.

This encouragement could be extended with tax incentives for research on ways to cut down plastic consumption. Action to combat deforestation, either for agriculture or tourist development, must also be toughened.

As the impact of man-made and natural disasters intensifies, we need to focus more effort and finances on both disaster preparedness and response measures.

Next year, Thailand could face its worst-ever drought, which could hit hundreds of thousands of households in the pocket. Government measures to mitigate the impacts, including debt extension and irrigation activities, will not remedy the situation.

Over 75,000 residents of the central Philippines were evacuated yesterday as a typhoon threatened the country with flooding and landslides.

It's heartening that all 195 countries represented at the Paris talks last week have realised that climate change is causing hardship the world over. Last week, they voted for a universal agreement whose main aim is to keep the global temperature rise below 2 degrees Celsius over pre-industrial levels, targeting a ceiling of 1.5C.

To date, 188 countries have contributed their climate action plans, which should dramatically slow the pace of greenhouse gas emissions. Under the Paris agreement, all 195 countries will submit updated plans - called nationally determined contributions (NDCs) - every five years, thereby steadily increasing their ambition in the long-term.

Yet while the agreement is a historic piece of good for the climate, the bad news is that it was struck in the immediate wake of new research that suggests 2015 will be the hottest year on record.

The time is running out for action. But given the stakes, Paris was better late than never.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Post-Paris-plastic-bag-use-is-the-low-hanging-frui-30274950.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-15

"Last September, 15 major retailers joined hands to launch the no-plastic bag campaign...The message of the campaign is clear: Thais should cut the habit of taking plastic bags that are freely available in many shops."

Messages have no effect when falling upon deaf ears. Anything that is voluntary will be ignored. The only way Thailand (and the rest of the world) will cut their use of plastic bags is to ban them. 15 major retailers are a drop in the bucket when every small business hands them out, even when you tell them you don't want one. What did people use before plastic bags? If plastic bags are not available, people will be forced to bring their own reusable bags. That's the only way this will happen.

Edited by jaltsc

As the local population in many of the Asian countries just throw away plastic bags (and all other kind of trash) in the nature and roadside a replacement to plastic bags is very important, in Scandinavia papper bags have been used for long time and papper breaks down fast if thrown away in the nature.

"Last September, 15 major retailers joined hands to launch the no-plastic bag campaign...The message of the campaign is clear: Thais should cut the habit of taking plastic bags that are freely available in many shops."

Messages have no effect when falling upon deaf ears. Anything that is voluntary will be ignored. The only way Thailand (and the rest of the world) will cut their use of plastic bags is to ban them. 15 major retailers are a drop in the bucket when every small business hands them out, even when you tell them you don't want one. What did people use before plastic bags? If plastic bags are not available, people will be forced to bring their own reusable bags. That's the only way this will happen.

Agree with post except this

The only way Thailand (and the rest of the world) will cut their use of plastic bags is to ban them.

That's the only way this will happen.

..because putting a tax on them works to some extent.

Plastic bag usage down 78% since introduction of 5p charge, says Tesco

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/dec/05/plastic-bag-usage-down-78-since-introduction-of-5p-charge-says-tesco

A ban would be better, of course.

In 2002 Ireland introducted a plastic bag levy (as far as I know, the first country in the world to do so). Customers were required to pay 15c for a plastic bag and this in turn led to a decrease of over 90% in the amount of plastic bags handed out at stores. In the mean time the price has been increased to 22c per bag. I know that Germany also has a similar plastic bag levy and I assume many more western countries do, too.

Why not introduce a plastic bag levy here?

I wonder if the average person here would take a reusable bag with them when going to the store or would they simple pay the levy?

I vaguely remember an article here on TV from at least 5 years ago, in which a similar suggestion to introduce a plastic bag levy was shot down as it was considered harmful to tourism (i.e. having to pay for bags would deter tourists from coming to Thailand). I can't find the aforementioned article, but I'm pretty sure it was reported on TV.

This article is well intended, but perpetuates the myth that by not using plastic bags we will be making a big difference for climate change. The real reason to avoid plastic bags is wildlife, as the article states. However, by starting the article with reference to the Paris agreement, the impression is given that this will help climate change. In reality, plastic bags are a tiny piece of the climate change equation.

There was a study in the UK, but the same applies to Thailand: They found that in a typical bag of groceries, the items inside accounted for ten times as much plastic as the bag itself. Additionally, plastic bags are less than one percent of all of the plastic used in the UK. And of total carbon emissions, plastic accounted for about one percent. So plastic bags are less than .01% of carbon emissions.

The real low hanging fruit is energy production and efficiency. Thailand needs to do much more to bring in renewables to the energy mix. It's hard to find anywhere with better potential for solar, but the government is too busy making sure that no one can have a beer after midnight to focus on important issues.

BTW, the article I mentioned can be found in an excellent online ebook, google withbotheyesopen

In 2002 Ireland introducted a plastic bag levy (as far as I know, the first country in the world to do so). Customers were required to pay 15c for a plastic bag and this in turn led to a decrease of over 90% in the amount of plastic bags handed out at stores. In the mean time the price has been increased to 22c per bag. I know that Germany also has a similar plastic bag levy and I assume many more western countries do, too.

I wonder if the average person here would take a reusable bag with them when going to the store or would they simple pay the levy?

I vaguely remember an article here on TV from at least 5 years ago, in which a similar suggestion to introduce a plastic bag levy was shot down as it was considered harmful to tourism (i.e. having to pay for bags would deter tourists from coming to Thailand). I can't find the aforementioned article, but I'm pretty sure it was reported on TV.

In Sweden they have charged you for plastic and paper bags as long as I can remember, maybe it is/was just a way for the stores to make money but still you have to pay for them as a customer.

This article is well intended, but perpetuates the myth that by not using plastic bags we will be making a big difference for climate change. The real reason to avoid plastic bags is wildlife, as the article states. However, by starting the article with reference to the Paris agreement, the impression is given that this will help climate change. In reality, plastic bags are a tiny piece of the climate change equation.

There was a study in the UK, but the same applies to Thailand: They found that in a typical bag of groceries, the items inside accounted for ten times as much plastic as the bag itself. Additionally, plastic bags are less than one percent of all of the plastic used in the UK. And of total carbon emissions, plastic accounted for about one percent. So plastic bags are less than .01% of carbon emissions.

The real low hanging fruit is energy production and efficiency. Thailand needs to do much more to bring in renewables to the energy mix. It's hard to find anywhere with better potential for solar, but the government is too busy making sure that no one can have a beer after midnight to focus on important issues.

BTW, the article I mentioned can be found in an excellent online ebook, google withbotheyesopen

All plastic should be banned. It's poison.

In Sweden they have charged you for plastic and paper bags as long as I can remember, maybe it is/was just a way for the stores to make money but still you have to pay for them as a customer.

In Asian countries such as Taiwan and South Korea there is also a plastic bag levy. Its a good law, most people bring their own bags or just carry the goods by hand.

While we can all agree that reducing the number of plastic bags used can have a positive impact on the environment, both for wildlife and a reduction in the use of petroleum products, for many developing nations such as Thailand, the real benefit will come from the increased awareness of the environment, climate change and the ability to impact it through personal actions.

Truly addressing Climate Change will take cultural in thinking and how we lead our daily lives. In the US, we once had horrible problems with litter being strewn everywhere, and now some 40+ years later after the 'Keep our Highways Clean' campaign and similar the situation is greatly improved.

I support any effort to increase awareness of the environment and how it relates to our personal quality of life, and would hope that others may see the value in also supporting these efforts.

Cheers!

Troy

There are plenty of alternative degradable materials that can replace plastic bags. It's just that all production facilities are geared and designed for plastic bags. Big business just like big oil is in the business of making money, not saving turtles. Additionally the check out facilities at for example BigC is designed and geared towards the use of plastic bags, you coming up to the counter with your own bags is a big inconvenience for the staff and slows the cue down, making other shoppers angry at you as well. The whole system is not really inviting you and your alternative bags.

One sensible step would be to replace the ubiquitous plastic bag used for takeaway with traditional, cheaper and more ecologically friendly banana leaf.

Unfortunately, a plastic bag hangs more easily on the handlebars of a motorbike - and the rider, as I have often observed, doesn't even have to slow down in order to hurl the leftovers onto roadside grass verges or into hedgerows.

Funny, isn't it, how Thais are constantly banging on about how much they love their country while relentlessly transforming their once green and pleasant land into one gigantic rubbish dump.

Edited by Krataiboy

As the local population in many of the Asian countries just throw away plastic bags (and all other kind of trash) in the nature and roadside a replacement to plastic bags is very important, in Scandinavia papper bags have been used for long time and papper breaks down fast if thrown away in the nature.

Good idea. However it doesn't hold curry. And then there's those trees that have to be cut down to make them.

Thailand already produces a very good eco alternative made from Cassava and sold in 7/11's. The fact they're not free is what puts people off swapping them for plastic. The stores, particularly large ones, could plough some of their vast profits back into providing them instead. long shot I know.

There is BTW, just one small Tesco Lotus here who've refused to provide any bags at all for around two years and people somehow manage without. Why the rest of the chain don't follow suit is bewildering. Oh, it's that 'consistency' thing, isn't it.

There are plenty of alternative degradable materials that can replace plastic bags. It's just that all production facilities are geared and designed for plastic bags. Big business just like big oil is in the business of making money, not saving turtles. Additionally the check out facilities at for example BigC is designed and geared towards the use of plastic bags, you coming up to the counter with your own bags is a big inconvenience for the staff and slows the cue down, making other shoppers angry at you as well. The whole system is not really inviting you and your alternative bags.

Makro just dumps your basket into a trolley and pushes it out of the way once tallied up. Purchases are then placed inside their large heavy duty reusable bags at 12p. So not too inconvenient.

In Germany it is the same for many years. When my Ex-wife stayed in Germany she could use a plastic bag many times.

The arguement that we waste 7,000 tones per day of plastic (about 2 bags per day calculating from the article's data) is kind of a "one eye closed" arguement. Yes, I take plastic bags home from the grocery store but I also recycle these into garbage bags to throw out refuse. If I didn't have these plastic bags I'd have to and buy black plastic bags which wouldn't help the climate anyways.

I'm also kind of skeptical about a carbon footprint 6 times the plastic itself (especially when the figures come from an environmental agency).

Good idea. However it doesn't hold curry. And then there's those trees that have to be cut down to make them.

Thailand already produces a very good eco alternative made from Cassava and sold in 7/11's. The fact they're not free is what puts people off swapping them for plastic. The stores, particularly large ones, could plough some of their vast profits back into providing them instead. long shot I know.

There is BTW, just one small Tesco Lotus here who've refused to provide any bags at all for around two years and people somehow manage without. Why the rest of the chain don't follow suit is bewildering. Oh, it's that 'consistency' thing, isn't it.

A large part of the natural forest in Thailand has already been turned into Rubber Tree plantations, maybe they can use those threes to make the bags from after they have stopped producing rubber? The paper bags used in Sweden for many years are quite strong, think they are made from Pine threes, not sure if Rubber threes can make the same quality of paper.

Cassava bags! The perfect solution. How much are they each? I didn't know 7/11's had these bags until I read your post. One more question how do I ask for a recycled bag in Thai?

Degradable bag technology has been around for decades..Fact

The plastic bag problem could have and can be solved in short order,with very little cost...Fact

These 2 facts lead to 2 conclusions...

#1..We are a planet of retards who can not solve a simple problem...

#2..Some people do not want the problem solved..Because

a easy guick cheap solution would not serve their agenda...

Edited by fforest1

Stopping the use of plastic bags should lower the temperature by 2 degrees C by next year and save the world.gigglem.gif