Road rules help

Kenny202

Never had to worry too much living in a village but now living in the city Khonkaen.

Firstly parking. I know the black stripes me can park. Red stripes not park. What do the yellow stripes mean?

Who gives way to who here? (not that I think anyone really pays attention). Like back home if at an unmarked T intersection

or cross roads its normally give way to the right. I think someone told me here its give way to the left?

I sometimes see at a T intersection or cross over a line painted across the road. If the line is on your side does

that mean you need to give way to other traffic?

Disclaimer: the following is the theory biggrin.png Be prepared for a lengthy thread about the uselessness of rules.

Yellow stripes: do not know exactly whether there is a time limit or how it is limited.

Practically: good for dropping off, entering passengers, "short" load/unload. not locking/walk away from car (leave alone).

Way of right: vehicle coming from left has right of way except wjen entering a roundabout where vehicle in the roundabout has right of way.

It is sometimes quite difficult to find out what a "major" road may be which always has right of way.

Use of traffic signs is scarce compared to the west.

Solid line on your side: you have to give right of way.

A surprising rule:

if you approach an intersection to turn left and simultaneously an oncoming vehicle indicates a right turn then the right turning vehicle has right of way.

Also not clear to everyone:

if more than one lane in your direction you may pass on the left (typically on HW #12) and in the city of course.

Car indicating right turn (U-turn) may always be passed on the left as space allows.

Edited by KhunBENQ

city Khonkaen.

They no more have much tolerance these days.

Particularly ruthless parkers will be clamped (wheel clamps).

Motorcycles chained.

I see it about every time when driving in KK.

Edited by KhunBENQ

city Khonkaen.

They no more have much tolerance these days.

Particularly ruthless parkers will be clamped (wheel clamps).

Motorcycles chained.

I see it about every time when driving in KK.

thanks mate. Yeah i saw someone get clamped this morning made me think. I thought they'd just leave a fine. Wonder what happens if u do get clamped?

Wonder what happens if u do get clamped?

I don't know the details.

You will probably have a ticket at the wiper in this case.

You will have to get to the police station somehow, pay the fine and get a receipt.

But how to continue? I don't know.

They will probably tell you.

Fortunately no experience so far.

Thailand has a "priority from the left" rule - similar to France only the other way round of course.

As it is often not clear or even obvious which road has priority one needs to be careful especially in towns.

e.g A Sai has priority over a Soi and sometimes the only waty of finding that out is by carefully reading the street number signs - by which time it may well be too late!

This won't answer all your questions, but should cover most:-

attachicon.gifThaiDriving.pdf

Often browsed, but I can not remember finding anything about the parking rules e.g.

Lot of details missing. They must be hidden elsewhere.

There are these test questions for the drivers license in English which are also helpful (although a couple of errors in there).

Red and white markings This is a no parking zone - cars may not park here at any time

Yellow and white markings Indicates a short-term parking space only, usually no more than five minutes. These markings also indicate a bus stop. It is not advisable to park here

White rectangle on the road This is a designated car parking space Multiple white diagonal lines This indicates parking spaces for motorcycles only. No cars can park here

Edited by cumgranosalum

• 3 weeks later...

This won't answer all your questions, but should cover most:-

attachicon.gifThaiDriving.pdf

Often browsed, but I can not remember finding anything about the parking rules e.g.

Lot of details missing. They must be hidden elsewhere.

Did you search the file? I can't remember when pdf viewers didn't have that capability. There are eight sections on parking.

I bet the traffic cops are unaware

If they need money they will remember every paragraph.

I have indeed judged from memory about the content of the traffic act.

Usual parking rules (distances from intersections etc.) are described.

Also such unexpected stuff like forbidden to park at hydrants, pillar boxes tongue.png

I'm studying for a drivers license. Given TIT, I expected the absurd. I found it.

post-97464-0-00547800-1451879448_thumb.j

Round, white on blue, that's a 'must'.

post-97464-0-61720900-1451879466_thumb.j

Round, white on blue, that's a 'may'. It's the best answer, so I'd pick it. That's not absurd. Thailand, like many other countries, uses red on white signs for prohibitions, e.g., no U-turn, and stop signs. Black on yellow signs are warnings. Round white on blue signs are mandatory actions, e.g., turn left - but rectangular white on blue signs are informational, e.g. H for hospital. Why 2 classes of action for the same color scheme? Absurd? TIT.

(I rarely use the word 'absurd' but the site doesn't allow the initials for What The Frank)

biggrin.png

You are on the right path.

Absurd but don't think about it.

I think the excuse is the usual one: modest English knowledge and too arrogant to ask a professional not to say proofread by a foreigner.

And of course 25 stands for "you must turn left" wink.png

For my favorite, plain wrong sign shown for "do not pass", see here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732938-take-the-new-thai-driving-test-online/page-6#entry9583327

Edited by KhunBENQ