Retired And Married To A Thai

There's a friend of mine, just married to a thai lady and currently living with her in Udon Thani. He is around now for 3 month or so, currently on Visa runs.

He is currently getting his papers together in order to register the marriage.

He is from the UK, retired, with a monthly pension of around 700 Pound, more than enough for him to live his life with her, but obviously not enough for a retirement visa.

Would it be possible for him to go the support a thai national way, as his pension income is above the 40000 a month mark?

Sunny

Sunny,

As he's in Udon I assume he's close to the border and can do visa runs easily and cheaply.

Why not just get a second passport and do 90 days on one passport and 90 days on the other?

UK citizens can have a second passport if they travel to one country where the immigration stamp excludes them from another (eg an Israel stamp means you will be excluded from Saudi Arabia) or there is a business need as in one passport is always in an embassy for visa stamps. You just need to fill in a few forms, nobody every checks the details.

Hope that helps.

Sunny,

As he's in Udon I assume he's close to the border and can do visa runs easily and cheaply.

Why not just get a second passport and do 90 days on one passport and 90 days on the other?

UK citizens can have a second passport if they travel to one country where the immigration stamp excludes them from another (eg an Israel stamp means you will be excluded from Saudi Arabia) or there is a business need as in one passport is always in an embassy for visa stamps. You just need to fill in a few forms, nobody every checks the details.

Hope that helps.

I doubt that will work.

How do you get stamped into the country when you have not been stamped out ?

Naka.

Sunny,

Hope that helps.

I doubt that will work.

Naka.

Easy - Exit the country using the passport that you checked in with, and then upon re-entering, use the new one.

Not endorsing this, but easy done. I would also suspect that the Thai immigration computers might catch this.

Edited by billrussell

Sunny,

Hope that helps.

I doubt that will work.

Naka.

Easy - Exit the country using the passport that you checked in with, and then upon re-entering, use the new one.

Not endorsing this, but easy done. I would also suspect that the Thai immigration computers might catch this.

It doesn't work and I know from experience. Doing the passport swap at borders doesn't work, as each country will be wanting to see the checkout stamp from the last country. You can try it, but it means you'll have to volunteer your other passport.

Anyway, why don't people just get legal. Not too hard in this case!

I think it should work if you go to the country issuing the passports (or a territory thereof) and returned on the other passport. That's the point of two passports, otherwise they wouldn't work for travel to Arab countries and Israel. If you hold a passport from an EU country you can probably go back to any EU country, perhaps drive to any other EU country and come back on the other passport.

But two visa runs all the way home per year will be too expensive for many.

• 1 month later...

How about flying to Singapore? Leave on your first passport, enter Singapore on same, and then leave on your new one.

If asked by Singapore, state that your passport was replaced by a new one, and show old one if necessary.

Upon arrival in Thailand, use your new one -

A bit convoluted, but it should work, IMHO of course.

Edited by billrussell

This could work just one time, depending on how Singapore Imm reacts.

After that one trip you are stuck with incongriences on Thailand stamps on both passports, should ring the alarm bells at Thai Imm in the (not that unlikely) case that they look closer into your stamps. Also the missing Singapore entry stamp in PP 2 might trigger the alarm!

Sunny

How about flying to Singapore? Leave on your first passport, enter Singapore on same, and then leave on your new one.

If asked by Singapore, state that your passport was replaced by a new one, and show old one if necessary.

Upon arrival in Thailand, use your new one -

A bit convoluted, but it should work, IMHO of course.

This could work just one time, depending on how Singapore Imm reacts.

After that one trip you are stuck with incongriences on Thailand stamps on both passports, should ring the alarm bells at Thai Imm in the (not that unlikely) case that they look closer into your stamps. Also the missing Singapore entry stamp in PP 2 might trigger the alarm!

I don't think so - A lot of people lose passports, they expire, and they get a new one from their Country in a foreign Country ( I used to re nu my U.S. passport in Hong Kong every 10 years). Any one of these reasons are valid ones for not having a entry stamp for Singapore.