Selfie time: Thais spend more time on Instagram than any other global users

webfact

Selfie time: Thais spend more time on Instagram than any other global users
By Coconuts Bangkok

xmasphoto_mg_8560.jpg
A young Thai man takes a selfie with the Christmas decorations at Central World.

BANGKOK: -- From snapping expensive meals and pets in ridiculous sweaters to simple selfies, Thai users spend more time than anyone else on Instagram.

With Siam Paragon mall topping the list as Thailand’s most Instagrammed place, the Land of Selfies has 7.1 million active monthly Instagram users as of June.

Thai users also has the highest engagement, meaning they spend the longest time scrolling, editing and posting on the app.

Meanwhile, Bangkok also brought home the title of this year’s most Instagrammed city in Asia Pacific.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/16/selfie-time-thais-spend-more-time-instagram-any-other-global-users

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-12-16

If you don't have a selfie of yourself with the Central World christmastree then..........you won't find a partner?

You can only correct that with installing many many blue lights on your motocy or car. Many stickers also help.

Edited by Thian

Happens that I rode the Skytrain in BKK a few times today. It was busy. I could not help noticing that several female Thai's adjacent to me spent the entire time flipping through photos - mostly of themselves - selfish narcissism at it's finest!

As for the comment about loss of productive work hours. Please!! Do me a favour. In my experience, sadly, most Thai's who work in office/retail spend most of their working hours doing absolutely nothing productive all day. OK, I admit that such staff get paid peanuts and have almost zero chance of career progression. And, BTW, this same story could equally well be applied to China, Indonesia and most other countries in Asia.

Considering how these people have their faces buried in their smartphones throughout their waking hours, this news isn't that surprising, I guess.

LoS - Land of Selfies... good one LOL!

As for duckfaces, and while I'll grant you the 'to each his own' when it comes to aesthetics, I still struggle to understand how contorting the face like that and looking like all the muscles in the face are having a simultaneious cramp, is nice, or even 'cute'.

As for duckfaces, and while I'll grant you the 'to each his own' when it comes to aesthetics, I still struggle to understand how contorting the face like that and looking like all the muscles in the face are having a simultaneious cramp, is nice, or even 'cute'.

My guess it's to advertise a well working muscle set around the oral area, necessary for obtaining a certain skill set. Same with the pumped up silicone lips that come with the territory.

You walked into the party
Like you were walking onto a yacht
Your hat strategically tipped below one eye
Your scarf, it was apricot
You had one eye in the mirror as
You watched yourself gavotte
And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner, and

You're so vain
You probably think this song is about you
You're so vain,
I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you?
Don't you?

People with lower IQ's, a low self esteem and almost no self confidence are more prone to these kinds of addictions, because that's what it is.

Companies like Facebook and Instagram spend millions on brainwashing the less smart people on this globe.

Not only for marketing reasons and money but also as part of the dumbing down project.

Who will spend 20k on a phone when ones salary is 10k/month? This is a clear indication already of not being too smart

People with lower IQ's, a low self esteem and almost no self confidence are more prone to these kinds of addictions, because that's what it is.

Companies like Facebook and Instagram spend millions on brainwashing the less smart people on this globe.

Not only for marketing reasons and money but also as part of the dumbing down project.

Who will spend 20k on a phone when ones salary is 10k/month? This is a clear indication already of not being too smart

And others with higher IQ's will spend time analyzing social scenarios, while condemning those that are enjoying life :)

And others with higher IQ's will spend time analyzing social scenarios, while condemning those that are enjoying life smile.png

Enjoying life? It's been proven that people with higher IQ's suffer less and thus are more happy. smile.png

Just because some people analyse social scenarios as you called it doesn't mean they are not enjoying themselves.

It gives me tonnes of pleasure watching the 'condemned' participating in their everyday lives

I don't even know what all of this means. I do know many Thais who spend five hours or more on Facebook and line, per day. It is more than a part time job.

I am thrilled to announce I have never taken a selfie. I hope I never do. I just don't need the world knowing what I am doing, where I am at, etc. I value my privacy and my time too much. It all seems so trivial at least to me.

I am not sure about Instagram. I do consider Facebook to be a fame platform. Many want to be famous. It is a way for a normal person to generate a trivial sort of fame. 200 people liked what I did! I am famous! I am important. People really like me!

Ultimately it might be a generational thing. It is possible many of us old codgers just can't relate to what the youth is doing with their time.

The only person I know who is uses Instagram is the 12 year old son of my best friend in LA. He loves it. He takes videos of himself every day. Part of his self worth seems to be measured by how many people "follow" him. Some of his friends have TV shows on you tube. He showed me a few of them. Attractive 12 year olds in his school discuss a scarf selection for the day. Is that not also a "fame" platform?

They grew up in a time where people who have nothing to contribute to society like Hilton and Kardashian have millions of followers on these types of platforms and on the most trivial platform of all, twitter. To many of us older guys, it appears bizarre. Is there any value to it all? Maybe. Can we see it? I don't.

Edited by spidermike007